Busted rear diff not cover by warranty! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJCRUZR

2011 4Runner Trail
Threads
Way to go Toyota! :ban:

Great service...

Follow the link in my sig

How exactly did it break? How do they know you were driving it offroad?

Last edited:
I am confused. Isn't this sold as am offroad vehicle? Seems thats like saying they won't cover a car for being driven.

I'd be calling corporate.

I am confused. Isn't this sold as am offroad vehicle?

That makes two of us!

Toyota says:
As Toyota website stated, the FJ Cruiser is designed as an off-road vehicle.
Driving your FJ Cruiser off-road does not automatically void your warranty but any component damaged by the off-road driving or performance problems resulting from the off-road driving would not be covered.

I think it's about time the Toyota Land Cruiser Association gave Toyota a call and asked why we, their devoted customers are getting the shaft broke off in our asses?

We need our Association to represent us as Toyota owners. How about it TLCA??

Maybe we need to stand outside Toyota Dealerships with picket signs declaring our feelings toward a company that is no longer standing behind their product???

:mad:

I don't mean to be a dick here, but stuff breaks off-road. That's the way it goes. It's part of the risk of the sport. Now Toy seems to have had an issue with the rear diffs on the early FJCs. Was yours one of those? If so, you *might* have a valid claim. Otherwise, man up and fix it, then move on. Cross posting on multiple forums, asking the TLCA to make trouble with Toyota for you---come on. I know it hurts when it's a new and expensive vehicle, but either get used to it or do something else for fun.

There is no way Toyota can forsee all the idiotic things that will be done with their vehicles in an uncontrolled off-road setting. If they gave blanket coverage for any concievable off-road circumstance, they would go broke in a hurry. I've seen the FJCs take some pounding on Rubicon and hold up OK, so chances are, you were "gettin' it" when it broke. Are your tires larger than stock? Is your suspension modified from stock?

Offroad, forces are high, wheels slip, chassis flex, traction is intermittant. Things get used in ways never imagined by their builders. Things break.

Toyota did not offer to fix my broken rear axle.
They didn't offer to fix my cracked crossmember.
They didn't cover the dents in my door or the crushed rear quarter panel.
The greedy bastards have not offered to fix the thousands of paint scratches suffered in the deserts of California.
They didn't even cover the broken bushings in the front suspension.

I see a trend --Corporate Toyota SUUUUCKS

Sorry for the harsh tone but I'm getting a bad vibe here. Fix your truck, life is short.

Wow. Maybe its a vaild point to fight...but I'd rather be back up and running and out on the trail without all the stress you seem to have!

Cancer taught me life is short at 23yrs old. You are not gauranteed anything, EVEN FROM TOYOTA.

Read "LIMITED WARRANTY".

Now....turn this anger towards USFS, Trout Unlimited and the Tellico issues, so you will have a place to take your beloved POS FJC.

Really? Man up? It's a new vehicle - under warranty. If you bought a new boat and it sunk would you be pissed? But why? Putting a boat in the water is the worst thing you can do to it. Oh, wait - it was made for that. So to was the FJ made for mild off-roading. I saw the hill he's referring to. I think my wife's Odyssey would climb it.

Of course 'wheeling is hard on parts. That's why companies like Jeep put axles such as Dana 44s in Wranglers. That's why they used Dana 300 transfer cases, etc. etc. So is Toyota not up to this? Surely Toyota can at least match Jeep's quality... right?

Look ^ that is meant to point out the obvious. Of course Toyota can match and surpass Jeep's quality - they have for years. This is why so many of us (other than you) are pissed. I bought a Toyota (my first Toyota - and I've had 27 cars/trucks) because of the reputation. Now I'm hearing of blown rearends, cracked bodies, etc. When I wheel, I'm paranoid anytime I crawl up the slightest hill - that sucks! I bought the Toyota so I wouldn't worry about defective parts.

I agree - someone needs to "man up". It's Toyota. They need to shut the *#^@ up and replace every #&$^ing one of these rearends - and appologize as they do it.

I don't mean to be a dick here, but stuff breaks off-road. That's the way it goes. It's part of the risk of the sport. Now Toy seems to have had an issue with the rear diffs on the early FJCs. Was yours one of those? If so, you *might* have a valid claim. Otherwise, man up and fix it, then move on. Cross posting on multiple forums, asking the TLCA to make trouble with Toyota for you---come on. I know it hurts when it's a new and expensive vehicle, but either get used to it or do something else for fun.

There is no way Toyota can forsee all the idiotic things that will be done with their vehicles in an uncontrolled off-road setting. If they gave blanket coverage for any concievable off-road circumstance, they would go broke in a hurry. I've seen the FJCs take some pounding on Rubicon and hold up OK, so chances are, you were "gettin' it" when it broke. Are your tires larger than stock? Is your suspension modified from stock?

Offroad, forces are high, wheels slip, chassis flex, traction is intermittant. Things get used in ways never imagined by their builders. Things break.

Toyota did not offer to fix my broken rear axle.
They didn't offer to fix my cracked crossmember.
They didn't cover the dents in my door or the crushed rear quarter panel.
The greedy bastards have not offered to fix the thousands of paint scratches suffered in the deserts of California.
They didn't even cover the broken bushings in the front suspension.

I see a trend --Corporate Toyota SUUUUCKS

Sorry for the harsh tone but I'm getting a bad vibe here. Fix your truck, life is short.

So it's really about money then? I just paid a lot of money (or got into a lot of debt) and can't afford to fix it???...well what are you going to do when you break stuff 3, 5, 10 years from now? If it were about quality there would be 20,000x more reports of failure. Mine was in pristine condition when it was pulled and I've wheeled the piss out of it the last year an a half. Luck? Good batch? Don't think so. Even if they did cover it, why would you want to put the same part that failed back in? I would be changing gears (literally) if it were me.

That is BS. I broke the front diff carrier on my 99 100 series with 58k miles. It was covered under the powertrain warranty. I was climbing a hill. My truck was covered in mud, had 285 bfgs, a lift kit and an arb front bumper. They did not mention one thing about any of it.

I would mention 60 minutes and dateline. That always gets their attention.

OK folks, here's the missing piece in this puzzle. We KNOW that there was a problem with the ring gear in the rear diffs (and potentially front). Toyota is also aware of this. They have 2 part numbers in their system for 2 rear thirds (the whole thing...my parts guy can't just get the ring gear). One is with the old ring gear and the other is with the new one (which is property cryo treated).

So my point is, if this were NOT a defective part...I am all about the you play you pay thing. If I break something wheeling that is not defective, I eat it. Plain and simple.

But this is a case where multiple rigs same parts have failed under the EXACT, non-extreme circumstances. It is clearly a case of a defective part and should be, IMHO be replaced under warranty.

That being said, I also have a pretty good level of confidence that if mine goes, I can go to my Service Writer and explain what happened and he will honor the warranty. I've known him for years, have a good relationship, have all my service done there, and have been very honest about what I use my truck for and what my concerns are. Of course, that's no guarentee, but nothing in life is.

Ah, the hell with all this crap..I think I'll just follow Miss FJ and swap everything out for new and better stuff! Show you boys a thing or two! :flipoff2:

Well...maybe in a few year when it's paid off. ;)

I would definitley run the two part number play and be very nice and explain your case. If there was not issue, then why are there 2 part numbers?

uzj100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom