Busted rear diff not cover by warranty! (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought the housing size was different on a e-locker rear than a non-locker rear therefore needing an axle swap and not just the 3rd member?

Not according to that guy who posts here who is also on television. Can't remember his name, but he said it just required swapping the 3rd member. Regardless, the modification to ARB in the rear will get done. Not soon, but it will get done.

Not according to that guy who posts here who is also on television. Can't remember his name, but he said it just required swapping the 3rd member. Regardless, the modification to ARB in the rear will get done. Not soon, but it will get done.

It is not just as simple as swapping the third for a open one. A standard third member will fit just fine in a factory E-Locker housing but a few studs will have to be removed and a few holes sealed with RTV. Not ideal for long term operation but good enough to get you back home, for long term operation it is quite a simple operation to weld a small section into the shift fork area, plug weld the old unused mounting holes and drill & tap the three new holes.

Pictures posted below show a 4cyl third with a cut out factory E-Locker flange bolted on, the three holes mentioned above are easily visible:

HPIM1020.JPG

HPIM1023.JPG

No, it didn't involve plugging holes. Where's that guy when you need him? The show was on back in February of 07, and there was no un-used holes or any of that business.

LandCruisers4Life said:
You have to change out the entire 3rd member to do it. A good many people have already done this modification....
A good many? Source please.

LandCruisers4Life said:
Not according to that guy who posts here who is also on television. Can't remember his name.

LandCruisers4Life said:
No, it didn't involve plugging holes. Where's that guy when you need him? The show was on back in February of 07, and there was no un-used holes or any of that business.

You have got to be kidding.

I guess nobody's experiences here have cred when compared to a guy you don't know or remember from a show you don't remember. :rolleyes:

All this masturbating about a modification you apparently neither understand or will actually do needs to be in another thread so this one can be cleaned up and put back on track.

Sorry...

I guess nobody's experiences here have cred when compared to a guy you don't know or remember from a show you don't remember. :rolleyes:

All this masturbating about a modification you apparently neither understand or will actually do needs to be in another thread so this one can be cleaned up and put back on track.

Sorry...

Individuals construct reality in their own mind. If you believe something is true, it becomes true regardless of what the facts are.

Sorry...

It was on cable television, and NO I cannot remember the name it's been since the first of the year. No, it didn't require cobbling stuff together to 'make it work'. It was a build up done on television of the FJ, and the guy installed ARB lockers in the front and rear. He even posted in this forum a couple of times. When I find out about it more I'll post the information. As far as understanding, NO I have no freaking clue, that's why I am on here right? Will I understand once I find the information? Yes I will. Will I do the modification? Bet your ass I will so get off your horse guy.

It was on cable television, and NO I cannot remember the name it's been since the first of the year. No, it didn't require cobbling stuff together to 'make it work'. It was a build up done on television of the FJ, and the guy installed ARB lockers in the front and rear. He even posted in this forum a couple of times. When I find out about it more I'll post the information. As far as understanding, NO I have no freaking clue, that's why I am on here right? Will I understand once I find the information? Yes I will. Will I do the modification? Bet your ass I will so get off your horse guy.

<dismounts>

There, better? :D

Why are you adamantly posting that you have made up your mind to attempt a modification that you, by your own admission, do not even understand?

That, to me, is keyboard masturbation.

<dismounts>

There, better? :D

Why are you adamantly posting that you have made up your mind to attempt a modification that you, by your own admission, do not even understand?

That, to me, is keyboard masturbation.

I am going to gather the data, get the stuff, and have a professional gear person do it. Does everyone do this stuff themselves? Nope. I don't do gears either.

So when is Toyota gonna make it's customers happy and do a FJ Cruiser recall on the rear diff so we don't have to break down first before getting it repaired at the dealer?

I am hoping someone with influence will convince Toyota to take care of the customers who bought the new FJ sight unseen (in person), especially since the early differential gears are a known problem.

Welcome to MUD.
:beer:

Thanks for the welcome... :beer:

I'll ask about the rear diff issues next week on the earlier units (speak to service techs and motorsports) and what can be done. Of course I'll reference you to customer service at corporate (get it documented) as a first step if you have not already. Many go to the dealer and well...

Thanks for the welcome... :beer:

I'll ask about the rear diff issues next week on the earlier units (speak to service techs and motorsports) and what can be done. Of course I'll reference you to customer service at corporate (get it documented) as a first step if you have not already. Many go to the dealer and well...

Thank you. If you have a customer service number, or a person in customer service at the corporate office that would be welcomed. I plan on checking in with Toyota where I bought the vehicle when I get back home. I am also wondering whether the front differential gears were a part of this problem. One other MUD member took his rear diff in to get the gears replaced under warranty after Toyota agreed to do it (his rear diff gears had grenaded under normal off road use), and Toyota replaced his gears in the front differential as well.

No pressure, don't feel obligated. However I am feeling a big purturbed that Toyota has known about this issue for over 1 year and have taken no step towards a Factory Recall- this is a Toyota fault, not a customer fault.

MUD is a place where mud is slung occsaionally by people and not just tires. We sometimes agree, sometimes disagree. However we are all Toyota owners and try to keep peace best we can.
:cheers:

LandCruisers4Life,
I don't understand why you constantly bring up the rear diff in every single thread regardless of topic (which you have experienced no problem with on your vehicle).

Please refer to the topics and keep to them. If you have concerns of the rear diff, post a specific tech thread on it or refer to the ones that are active. You do a disservice to people searching for real information on the topic. I will tell you this will not continue. I am not asking to censor you, I am asking you give the members proper respect and add info where it is appropriate.

FirstToy:

I generally stick to topics. However the differential gear problem is something that I will not drop. This man has a direct link to Toyota Corporate and has generously agreed to mention this problem to them. Toyota needs to deal with it, as I have paid good money to buy their vehicle which should NOT have this factory defect. I only brought it up here because this man works for Toyota Corporate. Corporate seems conveniently inaccessable to the customers, who are forced to go through dealers who have an option to turn a blind eye to customers.

I have experienced no problem with my rear differential YET. I am a person who drives 8 hours (EIGHT HOURS) to get to work, and return home from work. I work 8-9 months of the year at sea, and spend the rest doing whatever. My schedule is one that I never know when I have free time to deal with something major with my vehicle (I don't know when I will be off, or working, I am on call 24/7). I would rather Toyota replaced my R&P gears without all the BS that every other FJ owner has gone through. Waiting for my gears to blow before Toyota replaces them is simply stupid. When I get back home, I am going to Toyota to discuss this all in detail, and if they refuse to replace my gears, and later on I have the blown gears, and get stranded in some place remote, I am going to have more than words with Toyota.

PS - I will be more discriminating in my posting from now on.

now this topic is in the appropriate thread.

Well decided to swap my diff oil out this weekend with royal purple synthetic.

Oil in diff was solid black, full of sludge on the drain plug and had plenty of metal.

Looks like I got an old diff...(build date Oct. '06).

Arg.

Well decided to swap my diff oil out this weekend with royal purple synthetic.

Oil in diff was solid black, full of sludge on the drain plug and had plenty of metal.

Looks like I got an old diff...(build date Oct. '06).

Arg.

That does not sound good, You need to have it looked at!

busted diffs

For you guys that dont get covered under warranty, we have built tons of these diffs, and can set them up to hold up better than stock. In fact, we have yet to see one of our setups fail, (not to say it cant!):) We also have aftermarket 4.88 available for front and rear.

I know that individual dealerships have caused some hassles for people like FJCRUZR, who I know personally, but from everything I've seen and heard, Toyota Motor Company has completely "owned" the engine bay cracking issues and they replaced the harder third member ring and pinions with softer gears that are less likely to break when smacked off-road beginning with the February 2007 build dates.

It's easy to jump on Toyota when a problem develops, but they are addressing it in a serious way. I know of different people in the SoCal area who have been offered new replacement vehicles for their old (20,000+K Miles on them) FJC's because of engine bay cracking. To me that speaks to integrity and a serious attempt to put things right.

Bump for you guys!

Carl, you don't know me, but I am a Director at Toyota of Dallas. Jacque has kept me up-to-date on your progress with the 4.88's, and I have encouraged Phil Stetson to work with you.

Barb who runs the Internet Department is my wife, she should be in contact with you soon.

Thanks for stepping up and taking an interest in FJC owners who actually wheel their rigs! :D

toyota stuff

No problem! We are all avid toyota owners and wheelers here too.

Bump for you guys!

Carl, you don't know me, but I am a Director at Toyota of Dallas. Jacque has kept me up-to-date on your progress with the 4.88's, and I have encouraged Phil Stetson to work with you.

Barb who runs the Internet Department is my wife, she should be in contact with you soon.

Thanks for stepping up and taking an interest in FJC owners who actually wheel their rigs! :D

That does not sound good, You need to have it looked at!

That's why I had the dealer do it! Plus, when they saw the black oil and metal, they didn't chrge me labor and noted it. I just paid for the oil.

I meet the regoinal rep next month for the engine bay bulge...now I guess they'll take a look at the nice sharp metal flakes I saved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom