Busted Motor Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whenever I am driving uphill and encounter hard bumps or severely washboarded road I hear a scraping sound coming from engine compartment. I assume this is the fan hitting the fan shroud because of a loose/broken front motor mount. The fan looks like it has been hitting the fan shroud as well (paint scraped off). However, I can tell nothing out of the ordinary about my motor mounts. Is there anything else that could be causing this scraping noise? And how exactly do you check for loose/broken motor mount? The scraping noise only occurs going uphill.

Put a 2x4 on your floor jack, and lift the engine 1/2 inch or so from the oil pan, and see if there's any of them that are separating. My guess is it's the drivers side front. If you still have the original round motor mounts, those are more prone to breaking. If you end up ordering one from sor, the only ones I'm aware of them using any more are the newer rectangular ones... they're better and completely interchangeable.

Great thanks I'll give that a shot this afternoon. You mean use the oil pan as the place to put the 2x4 to jack the engine up? Just making sure that the oil pan is strong enough to handle that pressure. Don't want to ruin an oil pan too.

Ya, it will be fine, so long as you don't try and take the weight off the front wheels with it ;). Remember you only have to marginally lift it to see which mount is broken.

I don't know if these would work for you but I have some 2f motor mounts from a 85 fj60.  Would they work?  If so, you can have them both for $10.00 bucks.  

Turns out I think it was just a very loose radiator mount instead. :-[
When I was jacking the engine up from the oil pan you could see no difference in any of the 4 engine mounts, and the front of the car was moving up with the engine. So I am assuming that all my engine mounts are fine. A little light wheeling this weekend should tell me for sure if I was right or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom