Bumper to Body Gap - Coastal Offroad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am making my own pieces to fill the gap between the rear bumper and the body instead of cutting up the factory bumper cover. How much gap should I have between the body and the top of my bumper pieces? Ultimately they will be welded to the bumper once I am happy with them.

IMG_2844.JPG

IMG_2845.JPG

Last edited:
Great idea, I can’t stand the look of the plastic part. I need to learn how to weld so I can weld together a kit bumper. I will let the others give their advice on clearance because I have no clue!

Thank you. I will post pictures once it is complete. As always, I welcome any feedback and/or criticism on any of my "ideas". I am making this out of 16ga scrap which is a little thicker than I wanted but that is what I had laying around. I think 18ga or even 20ga would be best.

I'd leave more than that. Our cars have quite a bit of body flex and the rear quarter panel is not a replaceable part. Maybe 3/4"? You can always paint the sheet metal underneath black to help it blend in.

The gap on our Sherpa bumper is huge and I don't even notice it anymore

EDIT: in your first picture it looks a little bigger, I was focused on the second one.

Last edited:
The gap is about 6mm (~1/4")

I set my front ARB at about 3/4" and you can see if moving around while off road

I like your idea of making the filler piece, looks great so far

I'd say to leave 3/4" and use a rubber trim to fill the remaining gap. The bumper will flex and move a fair bit in relation to the body.

Just had a similar issue on my HDJ80. The gap is even bigger since the flares are more narrow. I just found this out after mounting mine. Can't blame anyone for that though since it was technically not made for the narrow flares. I was looking for mod ideas. I like the design of this bumper but I had to do a lot of modifications to make it fit the diesel. Mainly the exhaust. I also cut out the original hitch holes on the frame and cut a hole in the bumper to add an internal receiver. Still working on the mounts to attach the receiver to the frame. Luckily the old spare tire mount holes are perfectly placed for a bracket. I would still like to go back to the steel frame over the wheels though. Not sure of the best way to do that. Haven't looked it up here yet. Bumper is great quality though. Laser cut, 3/16" steel and the fit is great. Fun to build. Well, until the grinding.

I ended up with ~12mm gap from the top to the bottom lip of the quarter panels. I have about 25mm from the inside of the top to the body which can't be seen. I am hoping that is enough (time will tell). The aren't welded on yet as I am working on the tire carrier now, see below:

IMG_2882r.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom