bumper plan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so ive got an idea for a bumper and i wanna know if im just over engineering or if it sounds decent

its to mount a warn m8000 to my fj60, and is based largely on 2mbbs popular design, but...

the 1 inch plate will mount inside the frame channels instead of outside, and the winch will mount feet forward with no winch mount plate. this may require using a slighter taller tube... (he used 6x2x1/4 iirc) i may also make it wider (deeper)... im gonna go take some measurements of stuff right now...

also, im gonna only make the center section 1/4, with the "wings" made out of 3/16... thats the part im thinking may just be me being a weight weanie... no? is it worth it to do the extra work?

also also, my upper tubes will be much more like the safarigard design, incorporating a mount for my hellas, unlike 2mbbs lower hoops

hows that sound to people? i think im gonna whip up a drawing since i got nothing else to do right now...

actually looking at 8x4 now...:hmm:

or if i ran 6inch i could put a lil extender plate up to the upper winch feet like the arbs have...

can anyone give me a measurement of the height of the older style arb center sections (between the frame rails where the winch would mount) not including the upper tubes? also the depth at the same point? so pretend it was rectangular tubing, what would it measure?

Last edited:
I know you are building a much different bumper than mine but the starting point is the same, the winch mount. The place you need the strength is the mount and everything else mounts to that. I tried to keep mine as simple as possible

There is nothing wrong with running the plate inside the frame rail but why would you want to run 1 inch plate to the frame? It's heavy and look how thick the frame is, I think its less than 1/8. I ran 1/2 plate (on the outside) all the way through the 4x2x1/4 tube and added another small piece of 1/2 for the shackle mount. 1/4 triangle braces are added to the 1/2 plate to take up side loads.

I think my Ramsey mounts differently so there is a 1/4 angle iron at the back for the winch to bolt to. It also bolts through the 4x2 and my roller fairlead is under my flip up license plate.

All of my dimensions were determined by what I needed to mount the winch

As long as the foundation (the winch mount) is solid you can add all the extra metal you want, just remember it's heavy.

Best of luck

Tony
bumper1.jpg
bumper3.jpg
bumper2.jpg

1st: Holy Mackerel, that winch is huge! looks like it could tug an Abhrams around.

2nd: Is that a compressed air valve mounted to the lightrack? Cool!

Quick hijack, sorry

It's just a Ramsey RE 8000 with 150 ft of cable, I think the small bumper makes it look even bigger and I was pretty close with the camera and yes that's an air fitting from my compressor, I hate those springy yellow air hoses.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom