Bumper options that won’t break the bank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrTorgue

Grizzly Clint
Threads
I’m thinking about this front bumper but I want more options. I’d like to keep the cost of the whole thing including any welding and coating to be less than $1,500 as we have a budget to stick to. I’ll have my local off-road shop do any welding, coating and install do expect that all to run ~$700-900 or so (their quote). I also would prefer to not have to trim the front bumper but replace it entirely.

Go easy on me please since I’m a noob!!

I really like my CO bumpers. I suggest buying a welder and trying it yourself. The cost to pay someone to weld it will offset the cost of the welder and, at the end, you will have a cool bumper AND a welder :)

I’m far from an expert on this truck and the aftermarket parts available. So I’m interested to see what other users have to contribute.

That being said, all the research I’ve done the past year or so of owning a GX470, that coastal off-road front is your best bet as far as affordable front bumper goes.

I just finished completing my coastal off-road bumper and the following are my takeaways....

The design looked the best to me after many months of comparing other brands. It had all the functionality that I wanted and was the cheapest “on paper.”

Like yourself, I had no previous experience with welding so I had to ask around for quotes. In the end I finally found a friend who was willing to do it with my help. Your quote of $700-900 sounds about right because it is A LOT of work/hours.

I wish I knew someone locally who had the bumper and could give me some helpful advice. With that being said, I would say in total it took about 12 hours to complete. There was a lot of trial and error trying to figure stuff out.

There is an issue, although not too common, it did happen to me and had to do with the factory tie down points. From what I gather, there was a slight change in body mount height that changes the front skid plate distance. My setup was about 1/4” too short, so I just cut the factory tie downs off. Other people don’t have this issue and everything lines right up. Some say it’s related to earlier models, but I have an 06.

I ended up paying my friends $400 and another $200 for powder coating. In the end, it was a very challenging job (if you don’t weld) but I am very happy with how it came out. In total I probably paid a hair under $1,300 which is still a very good price in comparison to other bumpers currently available.

Long story short, since you are paying a shop to do it, you’ll avoid the troubles I went through knowing the price you paid for labor is reasonable for the amount of work. The downside is, you won’t see first hand how they deal with hose clearance issues. Just make sure they aren’t rubbing. You are probably going to be over your $1,500 mark but under $2k.

I have not used them before but there is a company that is local to me called SoFlo bumpers. I think they post on this forum from time to time. Anyway, they have some products for the gx470 that I have been meaning to check out.

They seem to be more budget oriented but if they fit and do what you need, that doesn't sound bad.

I think their bumpers are fully welded and powerdercoated black already and they advertise for around $750 plus shipping which I think they say is around $200.

If you don't need the clearance than you can also look at the hidden winch setups. Save some coin. I still like the Coastal Offroad bumper the most.

@se7enine makes a good point. What are your goals/desires with the bumper?

@se7enine makes a good point. What are your goals/desires with the bumper?

Thanks all for the replies!

Short term? Light off-road, camping deep in the woods (Colorado+Pac NW), light impact protection, LED light pod mounts. Plus we want something not only functional with the aforementioned but aesthetically pleasing.

Long term? Overlanding and an almost go anywhere rig.

So I think a bumper like the Coastal Offorad / etc would do well with meeting or exceeding these criteria. Plus it’ll look badass with the Kevlar liner I’ll get it coated in.

I have not used them before but there is a company that is local to me called SoFlo bumpers. I think they post on this forum from time to time. Anyway, they have some products for the gx470 that I have been meaning to check out.

They seem to be more budget oriented but if they fit and do what you need, that doesn't sound bad.

I think their bumpers are fully welded and powerdercoated black already and they advertise for around $750 plus shipping which I think they say is around $200.

FYI, I just emailed SoFlo go get more info. Will report back in once I have something to add.

FYI, I just emailed SoFlo go get more info. Will report back in once I have something to add.

I don't know which way they are more responsive if it is through email, their instagram they advertise a lot on, or on facebook. But I am sure one of them is bound to work.

There are some Soflo reviews on mud and they are soso.
For $1000 you can get the Ironman front bumper shipped to you.

There are some Soflo reviews on mud and they are soso.
For $1000 you can get the Ironman front bumper shipped to you.

Good to know. The customer service so far is iffy. I’m going to check out the Ironman next. My wife’s gonna decide which one she wants since it’s her rig so I gotta make sure her options are solid.

It is a shame that you are having issues with SoFlo. I can't say that my experience contacting them has been 10/10 but it hasn't been bad. If I could eat my cake and have it too I would want ARB to make a gx specific bumper. I like their prado 120 bar the most but I don't want to cut up my front grill area and front fenders. The SoFlo bumper seemed to be the closest bumper to the ARB style. Sigh.

looks so similar to ironman 4x4

does it require the same amount of cutting as the ironman 4x4 bumper?

upon further examination of the pics on FB, looks like they at least worked out the hood latch area such that it doesn't need to be cut.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom