Bumbles Bounce Don'tcha know.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Parts arrived from Bronco Graveyard.

20220106_183354.jpg

20220106_183404.jpg

35 spline outers, Spicer blue joints, D60 rebuild kit, inner axle seals, sterling rebuild kit and a fresh set of 4.10 gears for the rear to match the front. Yukon hubs were already in the stash and the reason for the 35 spline outers

Sky box should be here next week.

Last edited:
Sky Order arrived today.

Adjustable panhard
20220111_200521.jpg

New shock towers and lower mounting plates
20220111_200448.jpg

20220111_200428.jpg

And this crazy machined piece. D60 drivers side lower u-bolt plate.
20220111_200413.jpg

20220111_200406.jpg

They can be had second hand, and there was a guy who made some on one of the Ford forums, but Sky just started machining them, so I put one in the cart.

Not pictured are the new u-bolts and some misc. hardware.

Ordered a Factory Ford Sterling E-locker for the rear. Interestingly, buying a factory E-locker is almost as cheap as a lunchbox locker. Crazy. I will have to drill the housing and put together my own wiring harness, but since it is just a 2 wire circuit, should be easy to set it up.

Sterling electric locker to go with the new 4.10 gears for the rear of Bumble.

20220122_122247.jpg

What gears are in it now?
Truck is running 3.55s right now, but the D60 I have is a 4.10, so swapping the rear to 4.10 to match.

I like 4.10 on my gas pickup, seems to be the perfect match w/transmission, none of the looking for the right gear and runs fine for me. Seems to be about the best compromise on torque vs. reasonable road speed on my setup. I don't like to talk about that bad word (fuel economy)....bad word.

Lol, with a BB460, fuel economy isn't even my vocabulary (good or bad). It likes non-ethanol 87, and we go.

So I picked up a small hand pump this afternoon on the way home from work today. Took a few minutes tonight to pump as much fuel as I can out of the rear tank into the front. The little hose kept trying to curl back up so I got most of it, but couldn't get it all. Went ahead and got the top straps off.

So I just need to unhook the supply and return lines and then I can lift the old tank out of the hole. Hope to get that out this weekend.

Well I finally got the old tank out tonight. Lots of room for activities now.

20220209_180841.jpg

20220209_184350.jpg

So I test fit the tank. The tank has to sit lower in order to stay out of the bed floor, so I sat it the jack and installed the original straps to locate the top.
20220209_182518.jpg

So with the tank roughly located up top I took a look at how it sits in the frame.
20220209_182511.jpg

Bumble gonna have a big Ole booty. The factory straps that came with it aren't going to work, so I am gonna see about having a skid bent up to cover that ghetto booty hanging down. Hopefully with the bumper and hitch, it won't look too bad.

Hey Ted, how's the tot doing these days?

Good to know your still kicking around.

And thanks
its back on its feet. Had to replace the hydroboost his past week so thuinking of taking a week long road trip around the SE here soon.

Let me get your thoughts on this. I have come to the conclusion that Ford engineers are either all crack heads or industry flunkees. It seems like every system I put my hands I'm left i disbelief.

For example (amongst many) - they mounted the IDM directly under the A-pillar where all the all rain water dumps directly in to it. I mean its not like its a sensitive piece of electronics or anything. The IDM eventually shorts out leaving a very costly repair not to mention likely stranded. It' not exactly a difficult fix either, just relocate it 6 inches away and whamo it wont get wet.

Also, the fuel filters and screens on the 7.3 are inside the tank - why? They're known to clog often and is a pain the ass to replace. Would it not have been better to put external filters on there?

Anyway, not sure if you're seeing the same.

Does yours not have the fuel bowl filter in the valley? That’s the only one mine has. I done away with that stupid shower head looking pickup in my tanks and just ran a piece of fuel line to the bottom.

its back on its feet. Had to replace the hydroboost his past week so thuinking of taking a week long road trip around the SE here soon.

Let me get your thoughts on this. I have come to the conclusion that Ford engineers are either all crack heads or industry flunkees. It seems like every system I put my hands I'm left i disbelief.

For example (amongst many) - they mounted the IDM directly under the A-pillar where all the all rain water dumps directly in to it. I mean its not like its a sensitive piece of electronics or anything. The IDM eventually shorts out leaving a very costly repair not to mention likely stranded. It' not exactly a difficult fix either, just relocate it 6 inches away and whamo it wont get wet.

Also, the fuel filters and screens on the 7.3 are inside the tank - why? They're known to clog often and is a pain the ass to replace. Would it not have been better to put external filters on there?

Anyway, not sure if you're seeing the same.
My IDM s*** the bed a few months ago and I picked one up off eBay for $200 but have been thinking about grabbing one of these to replace it.

5A2E8C6E-744F-427C-9EAA-4743250775C4.png

Does yours not have the fuel bowl filter in the valley? That’s the only one mine has. I done away with that stupid shower head looking pickup in my tanks and just ran a piece of fuel line to the bottom.
Yep. Is what I did too. Getting to the fuel bowl on an econoline is a production, have to take half the van apart to get to it.

My IDM s*** the bed a few months ago and I picked one up off eBay for $200 but have been thinking about grabbing one of these to replace it.
And how did you know it was the IDM? I had to send mine off to Swamps for them to test it - no way to DIY it.

This was last year and I picked up a reman (they're all remans) from Rock Auto for around $300 but not before spending weeks chasing my ass hunting down every other potential problem such as ohh lets say the UVCH - my gawd another pisser of an idea that was by Ford.

My point is I'm often amazed at the (seemingly) compromised engineering decisions but I'm sure it's more complicated than that.

Anyway, sorry Matt! I applaud the hard work and keep it up. :cheers:

Last edited:
See you diesel boys are talking words us gassers don't understand. I do have in tank pumps, but the fuel filter is in-line mounted on the frame rail. I do have bank fire injection which uses fuel maps that are not easily tunable and if I add a cam or other power adder, I would have to have it re-mapped or it won't be happy.

And no worries @TeddyBoy just glad to see you're still kicking. Y'all can muddy up the waters any time.

If it’s running bad you can in plug one side of UVCH with it running and if no change in how it runs pretty good chance to be IDM. Yeah they are a pain to mess with and can’t imagine having to do it in the van.

Welp, time to set the unofficial timer. ACC/Upstate event is coming up the end of April and it's time for a list.

1. Finish the bronco tank installation
2. Replace the body mounts
3. New hardware for hitch and bumper
4. Install new fan and shroud on the WarPig
5. Install new fuel pump, lines and filters on the warpig.

If I have time I need to fab a seat mount for the little :princess:, mount the action packer and find some tunes for it too. I have 7 weekends to pull all that off... wish me luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom