Bumbles Bounce Don'tcha know.. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

looking good. I guess you could have also spaced the bed with washer or two as well, but that might throw off the body lines. That series of tuck has always looked good.

Bumper back on, took him on a trip to pick up some steel to build a seat mount for the WarPig for Hannah. Dang I've missed driving him around. Put 15 gallons in the new tank, just as a trial run. Just above half a tank. Thermo-tec is doing its job. Drivers door window has stopped working. I'll deal with that if I have time.

Will probably hook up the trailer and take it around the block tomorrow, just to heat up the hubs so I can check the grease and the brakes.

400 miles round trip. New tank and pump did splendidly. We pulled from the house to Choccolocco and back. My temp solution for the exhaust worked, but I am going to get scheduled to have the exhaust reworked to gain a little more clearance between the tank and tail-pipe. Other than that, I need to get the new motor in the rear door and order a new motor and possibly a regulator for the drivers door.

Still need to get the body mounts swapped.

I may try to get the door hinge pins swapped in the next few weeks.

This weekend, I plan to use him to pick up some lumber and work on the shop and the she-shed. I'm tired of mechanicing. Time to throw some effort at some of the other projects around here while I work out the next steps for the WarPig.

Well I haven't cruised around in Bumble much lately, but yesterday I had to do a ridiculous thing and load the zero turn on the gooseneck to take to Eagleville School because apparently the contractor hired by the County to maintain the grounds just hadn't. They had one mower, but the campus hadn't been mowed in a month or more and they needed another one and a buddy had my regular trailer.

It was a little ridiculous.
20220807_165617.jpg

Anyway, the trip over there revealed a new issue to trouble shoot. When slowing, off the gas, the truck just stalls out. Not cool when you have a 28' trailer in tow in a curve going downhill. So I limped to the school and then after they were done, I two-footed it home. Keeping the idle up and had no issues. Not only that, but the drivers side window went out on it a few months ago, so driving in the summer has been no bueno.

Tonight I ordered 2 new window regulators, DS is the one that's out now, but I went ahead and grabbed a PS one just to have handy.

I've been looking and will be replacing the IAC and MAP soon as those are the main 2 that keep coming up in searches. So maybe I can get the AC blowing cold again and once I have him running better, I will see about finally getting the exhaust sorted out.

Ive had to replace both my switches for the windows but never any trouble with the regulators. Might be something else to check.

Well I haven't cruised around in Bumble much lately, but yesterday I had to do a ridiculous thing and load the zero turn on the gooseneck to take to Eagleville School because apparently the contractor hired by the County to maintain the grounds just hadn't. They had one mower, but the campus hadn't been mowed in a month or more and they needed another one and a buddy had my regular trailer.

It was a little ridiculous.
View attachment 3081743

Anyway, the trip over there revealed a new issue to trouble shoot. When slowing, off the gas, the truck just stalls out. Not cool when you have a 28' trailer in tow in a curve going downhill. So I limped to the school and then after they were done, I two-footed it home. Keeping the idle up and had no issues. Not only that, but the drivers side window went out on it a few months ago, so driving in the summer has been no bueno.

Tonight I ordered 2 new window regulators, DS is the one that's out now, but I went ahead and grabbed a PS one just to have handy.

I've been looking and will be replacing the IAC and MAP soon as those are the main 2 that keep coming up in searches. So maybe I can get the AC blowing cold again and once I have him running better, I will see about finally getting the exhaust sorted out.
If you haven't already that is.

If you haven't already that is.
I do need to. I should have checked those first... actually would make more sense since it just stopped working. No warning or anything, just one day worked fine, next morning nada...

I'll do some investigating. Thanks Hunter

Well I pulled the switch, broke it down and cleaned up the contacts. Still nothing, so dug into the regulator. I put 12v straight to the motor and it ugg'd, bit still no movement. So then I pulled the regulator.

It looked kinda bound up, but I didn't think much about it until I couldn't get the regulator out. Took a few taps with the hammer to knock it loose. When I got it out, I noticed it was a little odd.

20220813_203931.jpg

The arm is trashed. I have no idea if it has been this way for a while or if it just git bound up. I tested the motor and it works fine, so it was the regulator for sure. Swapped in the new one and bam, down/up/down/up. I don't have to cook in the hot box anymore.

And who knew, AISIN makes regulators for a Ford. Well I didn't, but I do now.
20220813_203657.jpg

I still have to put the door panel back on and clean up the cab.

Good to get a win today.

Did a little repair on the door panel where the window switch bolts to the panel. It had cracked and was broken and floppy. I took a small piece of aluminum, drilled a hole in it and then heated it up and melted it into the broken plastic.

20220814_143645.jpg

Stiffened it up and everything is back together and window works great. I'm satisfied. Onto the next project.

Well I pulled the switch, broke it down and cleaned up the contacts. Still nothing, so dug into the regulator. I put 12v straight to the motor and it ugg'd, bit still no movement. So then I pulled the regulator.

It looked kinda bound up, but I didn't think much about it until I couldn't get the regulator out. Took a few taps with the hammer to knock it loose. When I got it out, I noticed it was a little odd.

View attachment 3086210

The arm is trashed. I have no idea if it has been this way for a while or if it just git bound up. I tested the motor and it works fine, so it was the regulator for sure. Swapped in the new one and bam, down/up/down/up. I don't have to cook in the hot box anymore.

And who knew, AISIN makes regulators for a Ford. Well I didn't, but I do now.
View attachment 3086209

I still have to put the door panel back on and clean up the cab.

Good to get a win today.
Rockauto?

Well, I need parts to get back on the 40 and the 80, so I decided to start working on the 60 for Bumble. I grabbed one of the knuckles and pressed out the old ball joints. Cleaned it up and threw a coat of rust converter primer on it.
20221210_171422.jpg

Once it flashed off, I figured I'd press in the new joints. Apparently the d60 lower joint is a monster and the ball joint press wouldn't seat it all the way. I fiddled with it and after some digging around, I found that a spindle nut was jsut about the right size to space out the press. So I ground the threads out and then used it to finish seating the lower joint.

20221210_181346.jpg

20221210_181400.jpg

And here's the finished product with the new snap ring installed.

20221210_181430.jpg

The upper should slide in and tomorrow I have some Ford blue tractor paint that I will paint on. Then that should have this knuckle ready to go. Then I'll get the other one cleaned up.

You've all seen Reid orange, I give you Ford blue!
20221211_142813.jpg

Second knuckle got a good cleaning
20221211_151655.jpg

Then a coat of rust converter.
20221211_160616.jpg

And then I used my special tool and installed the new dana joints.
20221211_163415.jpg

Now I just to have to paint the second knuckle and they'll be set.

Now I gotta get off my butt and get this thing cleaned up and get the new bearings in it.
20221211_163438.jpg

Yes, I have project ADD, what...

One knuckle two knuckle, now they're both blue knuckles.

20221218_135543.jpg

I also realized today that someday I'm going to hate that I painted the snap rings, but that'll be a job for the wire wheel on another day.

Buddy is having issues with his 250, so we loaded it up and hauled back to his house. Bumble didn't seem to mind.
IMG_0757(1).jpg

I did pick the wrong trailer. Should have brought the gooseneck, but we managed.

Lol, my girl is still pulling strong. The trailer queen is a 6.0 truck and I'm hoping against hope that it isn't something in the oiling system. It's getting fuel up to the filters, but doesn't seem like the injectors are firing. Ford engineers and their stupid hpop injectors...

I tried a 7.3 for about a year and had enough. Between injector change, a master cylinder, and sensors, I’m done with fords.

In all honesty we have a couple of newer coyote f150s at work and they’re pretty bad ass.

I'm running the ole 460 and it pulls strong and runs great, but if/when I decide to do any serious motor work, I'm looking hard at swapping in a 7.3 godzilla motor. 300hp and 430 lb-ft out of the box and tunable to well beyond that. Thinking that's the way to go, but we'll see.

would be cool to have a 7.3 gas, but likely you would want or require the matching (10 speed ?) transmission and of course the wiring to make that happen. There might be more aftermarket support down range on 7.3 gas. I'm guessing that combination is going to be rather $$$. Or if ford offered something like a "e-rod" version of the 7.3 gas engine. A stroked 460 might be worth some good torque numbers though, and have cool simplicity. To me stock always rules on tow rig though....I personally want something that is turn key and no special parts, run cool and idles all day with of course A/C. Without changing compression I bet a stroked big block in "reason" would be a towing machine, beyond the stock configuration.

I had a 496 suburban that I should have kept...big block with 4speed auto (from memory), did everything fine (ate a quart of oil every 5K or so and got a stellar 13mpg on hiway). But everything worked and it was paid for and I really had nothing to complain about....but I wanted a pickup and could not have both the sub and a pickup at the same time. Would run 75+ all day, cool and never blink an eye but even with 38 gallon tank ...it liked to stop for gas a like (like any other tww machine). I should have just kept it and gotten some better front row seats and called it a day...but the grass was too green and I jumped on to more $$$ out the door.

my view...once you get north of 13k total weight towing.....it seems to me there is only one engine to look at.....and the new ones come with DEF.... I like to be able to do the speed limit and on the hwy run 70-75..... not a fan towing something at slow crawl...but thats me, others may be fine with that which is cool, do whats safe and appropriate and what is comfortable to you. At one time I had a trailer that I would not go past 60 mph with, regardless.

equipment and truck combination that lead to a stress free ride is the key, crap where you have confidence in stopping and handling....etc. Long day when something breakes on the road or soemthing stupid happens and you're 500+ miles from home and hopefully no-one gets hurt beyond the wallet. Luckily my only real event was with a trailer tire one Sunday afternoon coming home from Jasper and turned out to be a pain in the @$$ more than anything else, but got lucky that the tire explosion only took out itself. Then my cool 20 Ton brand new Napa bottle jack I bought for the trailer decided to be DOA upon first real use...yea I was in a good mood at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom