Builds Building the dream (PZJ77) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_3870.JPG

Just for reference, this was my 60 after OME lift and others mods I did. Medium fronts, heavy rears. Sway bars in there too. Best driving leaf spring truck I have ever been in. Off road it was a weapon and felt like a Cadillac. On road it handled better than my 80 and maybe even my 100. There was a lot more to this build than just a lift kit but it was SUA and had 35's with zero rub. Leaf springs can work and ride extremely well but it takes some work and effort to achieve these very desirable results.

Cheers

I found some time to start doing prep work for the upcoming 70-Series meet -I'm sure you're all aware it's around the corner. My goal before heading down is to get my truck a bath, a facelift, install a snorkel, and install my winch. Originally I had planned on ordering an ARB bar, but my wife had other plans with some of our excess funds. We ended up taking some time to ourselves down in Key West. Plenty of surface time in the bars and a few dives. Given the tightening of funds, I had to compromise somewhere. The ARB is getting push -yet again- but I still wanted to get the winch installed. I ordered some pre-fab'd parts and hoped for the best. The end result is much better then I expected. $75 and I've got a solid platform to winch off. I coated it in self-etching primer (3 layers, didn't bother sanding or allowing to fully dry) then hit it with rattle can bedliner (3 layers, dried over night in a cold humid garage). Regardless of the expeditious construction, it's functional.

IMG_2702.JPG

IMG_2704.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_2733.JPG

Obviously I still need to mount and wire up the control box, but that should be too much of a headache. I'm likely going to be cutting the lower valence slightly (it's already dented and I have a brand new one on the shelf). Additionally, I'll be Refinishing the mirror arms and adding new mirrors. The grill will be pulled and refinished. I'm likely going to go with black plastidip and painting "Toyota" white. Finally I'd like to get my snorkel installed. We shall see...

Refurbished my mirrors. Used new OEM lenses. I did end up breaking the carriage bolt on one. Decided to run down to Lowes. I was able to find a similar size carriage bolt in stainless steel. I finished the arms and the bosses in the same rattle-can bedliner. It's worth noting, it's proven to be very UV stable and the color and finish I find attractive on some applications.

IMG_2770.JPG

IMG_2778.JPG

I also refurbished my headlight washer nozzles. I filled the splits with JB water weld putty and painted them with the same bedliner. Pro-tip: if your trying to mask an uneven surface play-doh works great. Spray and remove before the paint is dry.

IMG_2766.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

So we've been looking patiently for a 200 series, when a good candidate popped up we drove it and Danielle was very reserved regarding its size. She couldn't see over the hood well... So I seceretly started plotting to get her a 100... well one finally popped up. Right price and trim, wrong location. After discussing it for a few days with the seller and my wife, I bought a plane ticket. Drove it back 1400 miles. Only issue was a loose battery terminal causing a failure to start at the first fill up. I averaged 16mpg at 70-75mph through the mountains of CO, and the plains of the rest of world. Worst was a headwind in Illinois giving me 13-ish. Not bad given it's trim. Truck is fully built so the only project will be a new head unit interior detailing and clay bar/wax/touch up paint and possibly a wrap, depends on if the color grows on the wife. The 77 will get parked for an interior refreash/rust repair this winter.

IMG_3156.JPG

Smart idea.

A Highlander would have worked just as well.

Maybe, but a highlander couldn't dolly tow the 77. And it certainly wouldn't keep up with the 77 off road.

Last edited:
New weather stripping for the front doors. My parts guy in Okinawa is telling me the rear doors are out of production. I may be hitting up @cruiseroutfit for them.

Right off the bat it's harder to close the doors. They should reduce wind noise too. Finally decided to get them done after finding a frozen puddle from melting snow fall.

View attachment 1405022 View attachment 1405023

Who is your parts guy in Oki (if you don't mind)? I'd like to bring him a bottle of scotch and make a friend...

what application are those mirrors for? They look like they'd be perfect for my 55...

Definitely not getting in the parts game. I am assuming this guy is in Okinawa and will be shown the Toyota Dealer that we not give you the glazed eyes when you want to order parts..

I’ll take any help I can get...and new friends is an excellent bonus!

what application are those mirrors for? They look like they'd be perfect for my 55...

They're factory 7X fender mirrors. From my understanding they were optional equipment. Also JDM 60 series have similar fender mounted mirrors (which are better looking in my opinion). New units can be had reasonably. I opted to just buy mirrors and refreash the arms myself.

Toyota part guy? Cool!

No dramas Onur. Full transparency I don't think we get along very well, and I can't quite put my finger on why. We've never met. We've had disagreement on the internet and that's about it. Not withstanding I've probably referred more people to you when asked about parts for simple truth that it's not cheaper and takes longer for me to do it. Granted I'm not in Okinawa any longer and I don't promote parts and never intended to profit from it, only help the community. I only ever sent off a handful of stuff for people as it was never my intention to profit from it (people who have worked with me can vouch for that statement). Moreover, before I even offered parts acquisition I sent a PM to you, and several other people explicitly asking permission out of respect for your business. To which you responded that it was fine. If you've forgotten I'm certainly able to post the messages again. I'm getting really tired of the -what I perceive- passive aggressive comments. If I'm incorrect in my reception of your comments please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom