build quality of later 2020/2021 200s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You know how many land cruisers in the Middle East crossed that threshold right?
It's not even an event.
Most of the ones that end up reaching high miles without much engine work are almost always 2uz rigs
1fz would ahve been rebuilt a couple of times before its first mil on average.

Meanwhile some new American and Japanese built twin 6 3.5 v35A are going out before even reaching 50k kms 😅
2UZ is the best engine Toyota ever made.

2UZ is the best engine Toyota ever made.
Reliability and smoothness for sure.
Power definitely not.

A 5 speed manual fzj100 actually performs better especially in the dunes (based on my experience) than a uzj100.

Also a 5 speed manual fzj100 especially the early ones without catalytic convertor would also beat a uzj100 in a drag race on and off road, especially the base G standard grade. Even better than a 5 speed manual uzj100. I've raced them many times ...in Mexico 😆.
It's not a huge difference because the power difference between them isn't big. However the fzj100s are lighter than uzj100s so that plays a role.
Unlike the US 100, We never got the power bump on the 2uz until the uzj200..as I understand you guys got it with the later 100s. So I can't compare with those.

The best thing about uzj100s is they came with extra sound deadening over the fzj100 which may have added weight but it made it greatly improved NVH, along with the fact the 2uz is super smooth even compared to the already pretty smooth 1fz..(which I find smoother than a 1gr).

The locals love modding the 1fz-fe.

Keep in mind that gen 2 1fzfe is much better to drive than the 1fz fe of the 80 series.

Reliability 2uz is king for sure.

Last edited:
Regarding COVID and impact to manufacturing, I have noticed as middle management yet involved in getting the real core business done that in my large company, be it not car manufacturing, we focused on the basics and as a result had a yet more efficient and safe execution of the work. I attribute that to less senior management initiatives and distractions and focus on basics + business continuity by all parties in 2020 and 2021. I of course do not know what the workers and middle management of Toyota in Japan experienced and ended up doing, as well as the many part suppliers. My sense is focus and the honor of doing it right in Japan did not change during COVID, if anything improved. Subsequent chip and material shortages in 2021 and onwards may be another thing. Again I do not think Toyota be cutting corners and any issues experienced are more random than structural poor design or manufacture practices.

Regarding COVID and impact to manufacturing, I have noticed as middle management yet involved in getting the real core business done that in my large company, be it not car manufacturing, we focused on the basics and as a result had a yet more efficient and safe execution of the work. I attribute that to less senior management initiatives and distractions and focus on basics + business continuity by all parties in 2020 and 2021. I of course do not know what the workers and middle management of Toyota in Japan experienced and ended up doing, as well as the many part suppliers. My sense is focus and the honor of doing it right in Japan did not change during COVID, if anything improved. Subsequent chip and material shortages in 2021 and onwards may be another thing. Again I do not think Toyota be cutting corners and any issues experienced are more random than structural poor design or manufacture practices.
From what I remember
The chip shortage didn't seem to affect the 200 supply.
I think Toyota handled the first year or so after covid pretty well (thanks to precautions they took after the 2011 Tsunam) but everything has its limits.
I don't recall the 2020/2021 200 never being available here in the GCC or any waiting lists for it even towards the end of its production cycle.
This all began with the 300 from summer 2021.
Ofcourse this is what was visible as a consumer, obviously what happened behind the scenes is another matter.

Only now almost 2.5 years later are you finally able to walk into a dealer and buy a brand new 300 without waiting months or years. (This may not be the case for the US LX600 due to different supply/demand constraints and allocations per region)

i used to think like you once upon a time.

-my CA built tacoma has 570 k miles. All original.

-My baja mexico built tacoma has 110k trouble free miles

-our LX 570, japan built, needed new transmission at 31 k mikes

** the million mile Tundras and tacomas on tge news, have been all TX made**

maybe times have changed! good for you!

I will stick to MADE IN JAPAN!

Not much of a difference I have 2008 lx and 2021 HE..... rock solid... as long its made in JAPAN we are good!

I think most of this mindset.... mechanicals are the same!

Toyotas made in Mexico and USA are suspect! Thus, all lexus are made in JAPAN!
Toyota made in the US and Mexico are not suspect.

Want to hear the honest truth?

I had a 2022 Honda Ridgeline. It was a total POS. Wheel bearings went out day 1. Took 10k miles before Honda dealerships agreed to fix it. 30k miles later, seemingly, failing again as i am hearing the same noise and getting worst by the day…or maybe front diff was going out. Beyond this, the Honda had panel gaps galore, worst than a Ford Pinto. Various rattles. Truck itself was useful as heck (love everything about it from function standpoint) but clearly, quality (pandemic to blame?) was horrible. Sold it while resale value still decent because i was not about to throw down thousands of dollars for incompetent Honda mechanics go for shopping spree post-warranty.

Add in my above issues with “best made car on planet” Land Cruiser. Had (force?) to buy extended warranty on the “most durable car on planet” because the infotainment center costs like $8000-10,000 to replace!!

My trust in Japanese brand took two hits.

But to be fair, my wife’s GX is perfect so far…but we don’t use it much. Our 2015 MDX is solid after 165,000 miles.

So, given my issues with Honda and Toyota, you know what? **** it, i bought an American car for the first time in my life! Literally, never even thought about buying American brand! Actually, one of the big push was the generator that came with the Ford. But you know what? I also got extended warranty on the Ford (a must)…so, will see how ownership tradjectory will differ from LC.

(BTW, i still have my 2019 LC in garage…it is my “mid-life” crisis car.) :)
I too saw this with Honda with a 2022 Odyssey. Issues with electronics from day 1, front end noise after 1000 miles. That car may be gone, but thankfully no issues with replacement 23 Ody...currently.

I think the best cars on the planet COULD be made here, but likely the E-suite/accountants would nuke their execution before manufacturing could start. You're going to be glad you bought the extended Ford warranty. Just be ready to be without your car for a while during repairs as these service departments (around me at least) are chock full of people getting repairs. I was once quoted a six week wait before the dealership nearest me could get me in for timing chain phaser diagnosis. SIX. WEEKS. This wasn't an elective procedure in a hospital, it was a G.D. truck repair FFS. *end fOrD rant

With all this said - you'll be glad you have that 2019 to fall back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom