Broken timing chain slipper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The issue started as a valve gasket replacement. That quickly changed to a major issue. The plastic on the face of the timing chain slipper is sticking up way above the end of the slipper and has actually broken. The question I would like help with is, does the head have to be removed to pull the timing chain cover. If the FSM is saying that it does have to come off then I am missing it. Is there a work around to removing the head that has been figured out?

IMG_20210623_100254504.jpg

Major bummer!

I think per FSM, you are directed to remove the upper oil pan and head to get the timing chain cover off. I discovered that my timing chain slipper was damaged during my head gasket swap and head rebuild. I managed to get the timing chain cover off with just the head removed. Its possible to pull the cover by removing either the head or the upper oil pan. I opted to give it a try with the upper oil pan in place since my head was already off. It worked but you have to very careful to remove all the old gasket material and replacing the cover so as not to disturb the FIPG or O-Ring placements. Neither option is quick.

I can dig up some more pics if you need them. You have some choices to make but ultimately its all doable!

You probably have some slipper bits hanging out in the lower oil pan that should be removed at some point. Luckily, its a lot easier to remove than the upper oil pan.

Damaged Slipper:
PXL_20210221_011217300.jpg

Naked with new slippers, guides, etc:
PXL_20210307_185837787.jpg

Last edited:
Major bummer!

I think per FSM, you are directed to remove the upper oil pan and head to get the timing chain cover off. I discovered that my timing chain slipper was damaged during my head gasket swap and head rebuild. I managed to get the timing chain cover off with just the head removed. Its possible to pull the cover by removing either the head or the upper oil pan. I opted to give it a try with the upper oil pan in place since my head was already off. It worked but you have to very careful to remove all the old gasket material and replacing the cover so as not to disturb the FIPG or O-Ring placements. Neither option is quick.

I can dig up some more pics if you need them. You have some choices to make but ultimately its all doable!

You probably have some slipper bits hanging out in the lower oil pan that should be removed at some point. Luckily, its a lot easier to remove than the upper oil pan.

Damaged Slipper:
View attachment 2712779

Naked with new slippers, guides, etc:
View attachment 2712780
Thanks for the information and pictures.

The issue started as a valve gasket replacement. That quickly changed to a major issue. The plastic on the face of the timing chain slipper is sticking up way above the end of the slipper and has actually broken. The question I would like help with is, does the head have to be removed to pull the timing chain cover. If the FSM is saying that it does have to come off then I am missing it. Is there a work around to removing the head that has been figured out?

View attachment 2712752
After a more thorough reading of the FSM, I see the removal of the head.

The FSM is for sure going to say pull head.

it’s sandwiched between the upper oil pan and the head, I wouldn’t attempt to get it out any other way.

I’d replace both chain guides, tensioner and also have your head gone through with new stem seals (notorious at 200k~) valve job (includes adjustment) and a fresh HG for piece of mind.

Sucks since you were only going In for a valve cover gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom