Broken tailgate 1986 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I turned the handle on my tailgate and heard a snap as a small plastic clip broke off rendering it stuck in the closed position. How in the hell do you get it open? The rods are still attached to the handle but its nearly impossible to access the hinge because the hole is so small. Ideas?

did you remove the carpet and access panel?
I was thinking the access panel is quite large.

Its not that big and the access holes are really small. I don't know where the clip fell from or how it assisted with opening the gate. You would have to have very small hands to work up against either side of the gate.

Remove carpet and access panels. Look inside toward the ends of the tailgate to see which rod broke the clip and came out of its hole. You'll need to be able to see the end of the rod and the hole it needs to slip into. Negotiate the rod end back into its hole in the mechanism and open the tailgate.

Now you have to remove the broken plastic clip and replace with a new one or the rod will fall out again. You'll need to slide the mechanism out of the side of the tailgate. IIRC, you need to remove the handle screws and possibly remove the rod from its clip on the handle to be able to get the rod/broken clip out of the side of the tailgate. Then you can replace the clip, fit the rod into the new clip, then clip rod into handle mechanism and tighten everything back up.

Search Autozone/OReillys/etc for "Dorman Help! Door Lock Rod Clip Assortment". It will have the clips you need.

Remove carpet and access panels. Look inside toward the ends of the tailgate to see which rod broke the clip and came out of its hole. You'll need to be able to see the end of the rod and the hole it needs to slip into. Negotiate the rod end back into its hole in the mechanism and open the tailgate.

Now you have to remove the broken plastic clip and replace with a new one or the rod will fall out again. You'll need to slide the mechanism out of the side of the tailgate. IIRC, you need to remove the handle screws and possibly remove the rod from its clip on the handle to be able to get the rod/broken clip out of the side of the tailgate. Then you can replace the clip, fit the rod into the new clip, then clip rod into handle mechanism and tighten everything back up.

Search Autozone/OReillys/etc for "Dorman Help! Door Lock Rod Clip Assortment". It will have the clips you need.
That certainly gives me hope but how can you see the rod ends? How many clips are there? Thank you for the help. Not my month with the 60. Failed smog twice and then this.

A quick search confused me right away. How do you know which one to order? I have only a small piece that broke off for reference.

Looking from the middle panel, shining a flashlight from the middle to the ends or maybe the light shining into the end panels. It's not easy, comfortable or fun but you will figure out an angle to see to the ends. There is a plastic clip on each end of the rods holding it to the mechanisms on each end. Likely only 1 is broken.

NAPA has the exact part you can order but it was going to be way too expensive since they don't stock it. Just look online and see which store has the Dorman variety pack in stock and pick it up. It will have what you need. Once you get it apart and can see the broken clip, it will be obvious.

The 'Ford tailgate' clips (sold as Help, etc. parts) are generic enough to work for many Land Cruiser applications such as this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom