Broken down a ton Uwharrie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone I’m at uwharrie right now at the beginning of wolf den and my cruiser just shut off. We went through wolf den once and then came back around to run Rocky Mountain loop and it just died while I was driving. I’ve tried cranking it and it’s just not turning over. I know it’s not the battery because the lights are still turning on. If anyone has any ideas call me at 704-918-8946. Service is limited so if mine doesn’t go through call 704-441-4884 or 704-578-5777. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

If I was closer I’d looking at loose ground wires, I’d vent the gas cap in the highly unlikely event it’s vapor locked. I’d be sure the fuel gauge was right/ have fuel.

Then check for loose ignition wire from the coil. If you have another car jump it and see if it starts but cuts out in a bit. Could be alternator related.

Double check that battery, they can come loose and lights work, but wont crank. I have been in the same at uwharrie

What the hell are you doing at Uwharrie today? All the precipitation we have had just in the past week, all you will do is tear up trails.

Hope you get your truck fixed, when you do, go home.

Not much to add tech-wise. It's hard to diagnose without being there. Let us know what you end up doing.

Last edited:
Check spark on the spark plug wires ( if ot is cranking). Check the fuel pump fuse. If you have spark on the wires. Be careful if the spark hits you too hard. It will sit you down on your ass

There is also a linkable fuse that kills only spark

Checked everything y’all have said. All my fuses look good and it isn’t starting with a jump. It’s now not really cranking anymore so I think it’s an alternator issue.

We’d been planning this trip for a few weeks and weren’t gonna do any tough trails where we’d have to tear anything up, but you’re right I probably shouldn’t be out here today.

I might just call the guy Izzy mentioned, but I’m in the parking lot so not really a rescue needed. Thanks for the suggestions and I’ll let y’all know what I decide to do

Charlie knows 80s, he works on them from time to time at the training center, if he is around, he might get you going. He does it as part of his business.

If it is an alternator, easy to test and easy to replace. Most car part places can test them. If you have a voltmeter, check your battery voltage.

@fordoford Just to clarify about the fuses. The fusible link isn’t in your fuse box. It’s attached to the positive battery terminal and really looks nothing like a fuse. It can burn up and I’m some cases look fine. I had something similar happen and that’s what it was. I now carry this spare in my console.

620E1E3E-2404-4E7F-9FF4-2A58C04F9C6F.jpeg

I talked to Anderson and we found out that it was the ignition coil. I’m gonna get it towed to a guys shop in Albemarle and buy the part and probably come back tomorrow to fix it. Anderson said it’s an easy fix so I should be alright to do it in my own. Thanks again for the help!

Out of curiosity, you didn't, by any chance, drive through some big puddles out there at "jeep speed"? If the distributor got wet, what you describe can happen too. In that case its a mater of drying it out. Puddle water can get thrown into the distributor by the fan, splatters. On a wet day like today, can happen.

Anyway, if it is the coil, don't forget to disconnect the battery before changing it.

Isnt ure closed?

Out of curiosity, you didn't, by any chance, drive through some big puddles out there at "jeep speed"? If the distributor got wet, what you describe can happen too. In that case its a mater of drying it out. Puddle water can get thrown into the distributor by the fan, splatters. On a wet day like today, can happen.

Anyway, if it is the coil, don't forget to disconnect the battery before changing it.

No I went through everything slow to not tear the trails up, and my engine bay was dry when we popped the hood. Thanks for the tip about the battery I didn’t know that.

The only thing that I've ever had go wrong with my old vehicles is the ignition coil, multiple times, multiple makes.
No vehicle, even Toyota, is immune to that, no matter how 'reliable' they are claimed to be.
Sure, Toyota makes great long lasting mechanicals, but the smallest thing can leave you stranded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom