Builds Broke College Kid Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UPDATE 7/28/2020

Spoiled the cruiser will a full synthetic Shell Rotella 15w-40 oil change. Added a quart of Lucas High Mileage oil stabilizer and it seems like the engine likes it a lot more than the 10w-30 for Texas heat. Also, I have rebuilt my charcoal canister and will be posting a how-to video pretty soon!

UPDATE 9.13.2020

It's now official, I'm going to have roughly put 40-45k miles on the cruiser since It's been mine and I'm close to 272k as of right now. I have ordered rebuild parts for my starter and a new fuel filter along with washers and bolts. I ordered these parts due to the truck having difficulty starting every now and then, along with a metal rasp sound when the starter is engaging the flywheel. Hopefully, this will get resolved soon! Along with that, I am searching for good deals on cruiser Armour so that I can better protect this beast. Really putting a lot of thought into a rear bumper with swing-out. That's all for now, will check in during the fuel filter install and starter rebuild. ✌

-Alexei

Alright, big moves are happening, just ordered a new OEM power steering pump from Joey @NLXTACY ! Also ordered an OEM high-pressure hose from Partsouq. Looking into ordering a steering gear from Redhead, any opinions?

So far in the back of the cruiser I have....
-OEM fuel filter
-OEM alternator rebuild kits
-Installed new Toyota air filter
-Compression test kit
-10L of 10w-30 Valvoline Blend
-Toyota oil filter
-All my tools

Time to keep treat my engine with what sounds like a sticky lifters like a queen, I did a lot of saving up but it's time to "invest" ;) in the cruiser.

Last edited:
I'm impressed with your commitment to proper maintenance than going all in on lift, tires, bumpers, etc. That's what I would have done 10+ years ago :hillbilly:

I'm impressed with your commitment to proper maintenance than going all in on lift, tires, bumpers, etc. That's what I would have done 10+ years ago :hillbilly:
Thank you sir, I've been seeing more and more ARB, Dometic, and RRT gear on FB marketplace tempting me so I had to spend a bit on keeping her running strong instead of pretty.

Big Update!!!!! 10-21-2020

The Power Steering system has been completely redone, New OEM power steering pump, OEM high-pressure line, RedHeadSteering Gear, Darale 14" Oil Cooler, and Parker USA made low-pressure hydraulic lines. For hydraulic fluid, I went with MOBIL DTE 24. First impressions after all this work are that my steering wheel doesn't much if any play left in the wheel and it is way way more stable at high speeds. Found a few tricks that helped me out during this install which are in the pictures below. Had no trouble with the pitman's arm, hit it a few times with a hammer while the arm puller was under a lot of tension and soundlessly it came off, no big boom as some report! Temps are all good across the board and I haven't dripped a single bit of oil since the work has been completed! Used a cloth and spare hose to wrap around the steering pump gear when putting the gear into a vice to torque to spec, this was a life saver.

3A75CE0D-7EA6-4930-B9E0-017DBD0FECE0.jpeg
1F27EEA8-15B8-480E-8A02-53A01D3D4B80.jpeg

9E6E7BD4-9D12-4B02-B439-B230060E537B.jpeg
894B14D6-9D44-4C9D-9EFD-29A6A1EF440F.jpeg

D401D638-272A-4E75-B38D-24C8E1E58668.jpeg

Last edited:
Derale unit looks so much nicer than the paper clip cooler.
Easy to install?
Yes for sure very simple, hardest part I encountered was getting the centers punched for where I wanted to drill so that the cooler mounted up square.

Big Update!!!!! 10-21-2020

The Power Steering system has been completely redone, New OEM power steering pump, OEM high-pressure line, RedHeadSteering Gear, Darale 14" Oil Cooler, and Parker USA made low-pressure hydraulic lines. For hydraulic fluid, I went with MOBIL DTE 24. First impressions after all this work are that my steering wheel doesn't much if any play left in the wheel and it is way way more stable at high speeds. Found a few tricks that helped me out during this install which are in the pictures below. Had no trouble with the pitman's arm, hit it a few times with a hammer while the arm puller was under a lot of tension and soundlessly it came off, no big boom as some report! Temps are all good across the board and I haven't dripped a single bit of oil since the work has been completed! Used a cloth and spare hose to wrap around the steering pump gear when putting the gear into a vice to torque to spec, this was a life saver.

View attachment 2471972View attachment 2471973
View attachment 2471974View attachment 2471976
View attachment 2471982

You went one better than me - I didn't need to do pump, but have the seal kit sitting here ready to go in case.

My OEM lines were still in good nick too, so I just replaced the return with a couple of lengths of hose and an in-line cooler to simplify everything. Seems to work well, and cooler gets warm to the touch after a drive, so it's doing it's job!

20200515_170501.jpg

I replaced the steering dampener and all the balljoints at the same time.

Also just did my starter contacts! Hi five for boring but important maintenance!

You went one better than me - I didn't need to do pump, but have the seal kit sitting here ready to go in case.

My OEM lines were still in good nick too, so I just replaced the return with a couple of lengths of hose and an in-line cooler to simplify everything. Seems to work well, and cooler gets warm to the touch after a drive, so it's doing it's job!

View attachment 2472263

I replaced the steering dampener and all the balljoints at the same time.

Also just did my starter contacts! Hi five for boring but important maintenance!
I have my starter rebuild kit sitting along with a fuel filter waiting for me! High five right back at ya!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom