Builds Bringing an '87 FJ60 back to life (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New rings, bearings, bore, and hone on block?

I replaced a lot of short blocks and long blocks in my time that is the 1990s. Two years ago my brother is Toyota had to zero oil pressure so I had to check the end cap to make sure there was no scoring. Apparently on his Toyota they have a defect where the oil pump bolt comes loose and the oil pump starts to not pump any pressure. But I have never done a full connecting rod a connecting rod shell and piston change out. I know the Rings have to be offset every 120 degrees. I know that there's often a ridge at the top of the cylinder wall that has to be removed with a ridge reamer. I know that the cylinders have to be honed at a certain angle. But I've never done a full piston connecting rod change out. When you do the Piston Rod change out to check the connecting rod caps the distance to the journal bearing with a plastigage? That we kind of interesting to do something like that since I have not done that before but I've done lots of inch and removals when I was much younger. By the way I'm over 50 so my body wouldn't have that same stamina where I can take an engine out and swap it within the same day. Those days are gone.

Yup, we use plastigage and follow the FSM to the letter. :)
I'm not so sure I would like to rebuild my Land Cruiser I've taken lower connecting rod caps off and measured the thickness between the bearing shell and the journal. Often we would have to reject the vehicle because it exceeded the specifications. Do you guys use the home-and-home at a 30 degree angle?

Yes sir, not terrible but worth replacing while we were at it :)
It's too bad you couldn't establish a long-term time change item spreadsheet over several years to where items should be just replaced before the 60 becomes disabled. that is the way it is with aircraft there's an hour meter where an item is automatically changed long before it breaks down and disables the vehicle.

It's too bad you couldn't establish a long-term time change item spreadsheet over several years to where items should be just replaced before the 60 becomes disabled. that is the way it is with aircraft there's an hour meter where an item is automatically changed long before it breaks down and disables the vehicle.
We've been working on something like that, sort of a long term special operating conditions service recommendation chart...or something along those lines. :)

We've been working on something like that, sort of a long term special operating conditions service recommendation chart...or something along those lines. :)
yeah it would be good for your business. you would have to be so stressed with people bringing their vehicles and when they break and then have too many cars come in at once. It would make it easier for you guys to space out the maintenance schedules

The stock height replacement springs and 235s on the '87 are cool, but...wouldn't it look great with an OME suspension and a set of 31s? hmmm

IMG_20201221_201117_059.jpg

IMG_20210112_195352_769.jpg

IMG_20210128_195514_728.jpg

IMG_20210202_214843_009.jpg

Last edited:
The 60 came with a period correct brush guard and an 8000lb Ramsey winch...complete with an instructional video! The winch has definitely never been used, pretty cool. We powder coated the brush guard and cleaned up the winch but the 60 looks so good without it that we decided to leave it off and include it in the sale. If the buyer wants it installed before delivery we'll happily make that happen.

20210330_120417.jpg

20210330_121632.jpg

20210330_121817.jpg

20210329_153913.jpg

20210329_153922.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom