Brighter tail/brake lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday I went out to buy some amber bulbs to try in my clear corner lenses . Like a dumbass I bought the wrong socket type ... I 'did't' realize I needed those sloted type halogens . After I discovered my error it was too late to return them so I decided to try swaping them into my tail lights . The ambers I got were also double filament , so I figured they work ok .

After I replaced the driver side it looked brighter ... next I had a co-worker hit the brakes , and the difference was startling ! I swapped them both in , and will try them for a while to see if the person behind me is having petit mal seizures or not . If not , then they're keepers for sure . :D

And so I have to ask ... Why are the amber replacements such an improvement ? Two thoughts :

• First of all , pull your tail light bulbs and check them . The glass on at least one of mine was darkened furthest from the base . This I would imagine would diminish their effect .
  • I was wondering if the amber light was able to filter thru the red lense any easier . Any physics whizzes or photographers in the crowd ?

If anyone trys this let me know if you also recognize a difference .

Tyler - creating micro-red light districts everywhere he travels ; how conveeenient !! 8)

Tyler,

If I understand what you tried: You got 1157n amber bayonet base bulbs and put them in the brake/tail sockets? I have some of those kicking around I'll give it a go.

D-

If they are brighter it's not because they are amber. It would have to do with the light source emitting more light or more light in the red spectrum and if memory serves right that would be in the 400~500nm wavelength. It's been a while for that stuff so don't quote me. I'm surprised that an amber bulb (which is passing a wavelength different than red) would be brighter. Have you tried new white bulbs with out the dark spot?

I had to take off on a call as I quickly sawpped in the second bulb , so I didn't have a chance to check it for any blackening on the glass . This was a wholly unscientific endeavor , but left me with questions ...

Another that comes to mind is 'why would the bulb have blackening ??' . Is this a function of age , or symptom of dysfunction - excessive heat etc ?

Tyler

Age, just like us.

Turns black and then quits working :whoops:

I think my brother got all his flasher and stop halogen bulbs from JCWhitney?

I haven't shopped at the place that made hood ornaments with light up wings famous in decades. These came from Hella and fit in the brake lights and the rear blinkers. They're halogen, make it MUCH brighter back there, and have lasted 10 years without so much as a peep.

IdahoDoug

[quote author=Tyler link=board=2;threadid=5500;start=msg43491#msg43491 date=1064177081]
[snip]

Another that comes to mind is 'why would the bulb have blackening ??' . Is this a function of age , or symptom of dysfunction - excessive heat etc ?

Tyler
[/quote]

I believe it's from the tungsten filament "burning off" and depositing itself the inside of the glass.

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=5500;start=msg43979#msg43979 date=1064288962]
I haven't shopped at the place that made hood ornaments with light up wings famous in decades. These came from Hella and fit in the brake lights and the rear blinkers. They're halogen, make it MUCH brighter back there, and have lasted 10 years without so much as a peep.

IdahoDoug
[/quote]

do you have any hella part numbers, doug??

thanks!

eric

From a 10 year old Hella box with the original Toyota bulbs in it rattling around the storage compartment: P/N 81140. Can't tell if this is the blinker or brake bulb, but it's a halogen bulb with a BA9 base and I'm pretty sure it's for both apps. They also list a back up halogen bulb replacement P/N 78165. P.S - both P/N above are rated at 20 watts.

Rgds,

IdahoDoug

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=5500;start=msg44453#msg44453 date=1064421510]
From a 10 year old Hella box with the original Toyota bulbs in it rattling around the storage compartment: P/N 81140. Can't tell if this is the blinker or brake bulb, but it's a halogen bulb with a BA9 base and I'm pretty sure it's for both apps. They also list a back up halogen bulb replacement P/N 78165. P.S - both P/N above are rated at 20 watts.

Rgds,

IdahoDoug
[/quote]

Do you know if you can use them in the backup lights, too?? Ideally, you'd need 3 of these kits for the brakes, directionals and back-ups, right?? That's a lot of cash for lights --

Here's what I found under Susquehanna Motor --

HL81140 HL81140 Halogenization Kit, Incl 2 ea 78165 20W Ba9s and adapters to replace 2 1156 bulbs $25.32

Exercise caution with high output backup bulbs. They tend to blow the gauge fuse. :whoops:

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=5500;start=msg44481#msg44481 date=1064425425]
Exercise caution with high output backup bulbs. They tend to blow the gauge fuse. :whoops:
[/quote]

what would you prudently replace, dan?? i'm doing this for safety -- the front directionals don't seem as important, but a kit for the rear brakes and another for the directionals would be nice --

eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom