Brakes Pulsation at Slow Speeds!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just did my front brakes with brand new pads and rotors on my 99. Drove her around and she drove great until I got home and before I parked. It's seems like when cruising at a really slow speed and having my foot off the brake, the driver side brakes seem to grab and pulsate just a little but enough for it to be annoying because it also makes a sound, that's how I know it's on the driver side. I have not yet took her apart yet to inspect but I'm pretty sure I did everything correct since I've done the brakes before... she drives and brakes just fine at normal speeds it's just at a real slow speed, like when you're about to park, it will grab and pulsate slightly until you get on the brake again and it's back to normal... anyone have any ideas?

So I just did my front brakes with brand new pads and rotors on my 99. Drove her around and she drove great until I got home and before I parked. It's seems like when cruising at a really slow speed and having my foot off the brake, the driver side brakes seem to grab and pulsate just a little but enough for it to be annoying because it also makes a sound, that's how I know it's on the driver side. I have not yet took her apart yet to inspect but I'm pretty sure I did everything correct since I've done the brakes before... she drives and brakes just fine at normal speeds it's just at a real slow speed, like when you're about to park, it will grab and pulsate slightly until you get on the brake again and it's back to normal... anyone have any ideas?
Did you spray the rotors with brake clean before putting them on? They come with a film to stop rust and it’s kinda sticky, if you didn’t spray it off, then I could see what you describe happening. I imagine though if you take the wheels off, you may find something missing like a slide pin or something you forgot to put back too.

Did you spray the rotors with brake clean before putting them on? They come with a film to stop rust and it’s kinda sticky, if you didn’t spray it off, then I could see what you describe happening. I imagine though if you take the wheels off, you may find something missing like a slide pin or something you forgot to put back too.
Yes I did spray the rotors with brake cleaner... I'm one of those scrub mechanics that doesn't own any tools lol so I usually just work on my car at a family's shop so that's my convenience. But like I said the first 30 miles were fine and the brakes feel good til that happens... and it only happens at real slow speeds

Maybe the issue could be the anti rattle springs not being on? The pads I got didn't include any hardware and the set of brakes and rotors I used before didn't need them as they made no noise

Did the shim kit you installed include the metal prongs that compression fit inside of the caliper piston? This piece is needed to help retract the pads from the rotors when you let off of the brake pedal.

Did the shim kit you installed include the metal prongs that compression fit inside of the caliper piston? This piece is needed to help retract the pads from the rotors when you let off of the brake pedal.
Shim kit? Umm to be honest I don't know of any shim kit... I just did rotors and pads as normal... and I didn't see any shims... can you post a pic to give me an idea on what I'm looking for thanks so much

front brake parts.jpg

It's the part called the Pad Retainer. It has four metal tabs that slip into the caliper piston and stay there due to tension. When assembled with the anti-squeal shim and brake pad, it helps pull the brake pad away from the brake disc when the brake pedal is not pressed. You'd remember installing the pad retainer since it needs to get installed before the brake pad gets slid into place in the caliper.

View attachment 2631403

It's the part called the Pad Retainer. It has four metal tabs that slip into the caliper piston and stay there due to tension. When assembled with the anti-squeal shim and brake pad, it helps pull the brake pad away from the brake disc when the brake pedal is not pressed. You'd remember installing the pad retainer since it needs to get installed before the brake pad gets slid into place in the caliper.
I get what you're saying... the messed up part is there were none the first time I change the pads and rotors and I never had a squealing issue... these are the exact same pads I used the last time since they were under warranty. I feel like a total noob 🤦
Do you think the anti rattle springs would do the job as well, since they both help bring back the pads when the brakes aren't pressed? Seems like I'm missing a bunch of hardware I never knew about because they weren't there in the first place.

I think the shim kit from Mr. T is $60-$80. Everything is reusable too. Couple that with new pins and anti-rattle clips, and you're good to go.

Beware though, I bought a shim kit from Autozone for comparison and it was garbage compared to OEM in my opinion.

No more squeal! Added all the necessary hardware for the brake pads and calipers... She still does an occasional grab at slow speeds but not as often as before, but atleast the noise is gone... She drives great! It sucked knowing I installed new parts for my car to have other problems unknown... Reason why I joined the Forum! Thanks a bunch!

Is the grabbiness at slow speed accompanied by any change in brake pedal travel before the brakes engage?

Its always at a slow speed when my foot is off the gas and the brakes so it's hard to tell... I wanna say it's a brake issue and not the bearings or anything because she drives just fine at normal speeds... no more squealing but I'm still getting the grab and it's bugging me out... I'm at the point where I want to replace the caliper to see if that's the problem but don't want to waste my money if it's not the problem

Had a similar experience after new brake pads were fitted at front and rear and rotors skimmed. Turned out to be nothing to do with pads or calipers or rotors but an inexperienced indy mechanic at the same time had incorrectly adjusted handbrake, did not understand that the bell cranks at the rear hubs must be correctly and individually set and corrosion cleared. Using only the cable adjuster/turnbuckle behind the rear diff is insufficient. As a side issue, rear brake drums for the handbrake were/are slightly out of round. Handbrake shoes were binding slightly on one side, became worse as heat built up, resulted in overall brake shudder and sense of brakes grabbing all round, sometimes pulling to one side, maybe (?) due to response of brake proportioning valve in these circumstances. All fixed by correct adjustment of handbrake and still all good two years and 30,000 kilometres (18,600 miles) later – did not need to worry about slightly out of round handbrake drums. Might have nothing to do with your circumstances but could be worth a look?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom