brake travel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It seems as though I have extra brake pedal travel ever since I switched to 33" tires, could this be a load sensing valve adjust problem? Got me some rear brake shoes on the way, going to re/re the brakes anyhow.

BJ 74, no lift, just 33" tires. I figure my brake shoes are getting thin, and the self aduster has run out. I'm just not sure if the bigger tires would affect the load sensing valve.

Chang-kuao-lo said:
BJ 74, no lift, just 33" tires. I figure my brake shoes are getting thin, and the self aduster has run out. I'm just not sure if the bigger tires would affect the load sensing valve.

no in fact .. but you know, big tires, more weight, more diameter, your need to press more strong to stop those one in the same distances than other 31" for example ..

no, it's the sort of thing that the brake pumps up, and apply stronger.

It could be the MC dying from increased foot pressure required to stop the bigger radius of the 33.
I seemed to remember that happening to me when I got 33s

eDITED I see Tapage has already said that:D

Bigger tires demand more from the brakes. Any problems before could be amplified now. Ooops, that is what Tapage and Rosco just said :D

LSPV should not be affected by larger tires as the entire vehicle is raised and the axle to chassis relationship is not altered.

Dave

New shoes haven't gone on yet, haven't arrived yet, as a matter of fact. I don't think the MC is failing, once the pressure is pumped up, it stays steady, a bypass in the MC causes the pressure to fade.

my guesstimate is adjust the rear shoes and all will probably be fine. i have run 35s for years with no change int eh brake pedal height but i did find i needed (or should have) adjusted them more often due to increased wear...

when I go from 33"to 37"in one step .. I definatly feel the brake pedal traveling much more .. off course more wieght .. and bla bla bla ..

When I clean my rear brakes ( wheel spacers 12 lugs per wheel :eek: ) wouu a comes with a huge improvement .. but yes I know go with disc .. :D

Going to switch back to studded 235's for winter when I re/re the brake shoes, hopefully I can afford a disc conversion kit when I lift it next year.:) Also noticed myleft front knuckle is leaking like a sieve :(... oh well, at least the seal kit is inexpensive.

Chang-kuao-lo said:
It seems as though I have extra brake pedal travel ever since I switched to 33" tires, could this be a load sensing valve adjust problem? Got me some rear brake shoes on the way, going to re/re the brakes anyhow.

I notice a big difference in going from 255/85R16 to my 35x16 SSR's. More effort and feels like more pedal to stop. I give myself more room...

I raised my rear proportioning valve at least 3" when the Beltons went on.

Larger front calipers and perhaps a brake master upgrade might help...

On that note: Anyone gone to the larger runner calipers on a 70, and not had to change out the master?

Thanks

gb

Well after I go with front brakes upgrade my chioce was a rear dis brake ( with e brake ) did you thought front upgrade need to be first . ?

Greg_B said:
Larger front calipers and perhaps a brake master upgrade might help...

On that note: Anyone gone to the larger runner calipers on a 70, and not had to change out the master?

In my opinion, dollar for dollar, the 4Runner caliper upgrade is more effective than a rear disk brake conversion when it comes to braking power. Most of a vehicle's forward braking comes from the front anyway. That said, I'm planning to upgrade all my cruisers to rear disk set ups anyway just for the bling factor :D

People's experience even in older FJ40's using the stock master varies quite a bit. Some feel the factory master is sufficient, some don't like the increased pedal travel. I would try the stock master first, it only costs some extra brake fluid if you change it later. I'll report later if the 1990+ cruiser that have larger calipers from the factory have larger bore masters than the older ones.

Dave

maybe my next step are 4Runner disk and calipers in front ... having 4 disc I thought is great brake imprevemt .. in term no more shoes adjutstement ..

beanz2 said:
In my opinion, dollar for dollar, the 4Runner caliper upgrade is more effective than a rear disk brake conversion when it comes to braking power. Most of a vehicle's forward braking comes from the front anyway. That said, I'm planning to upgrade all my cruisers to rear disk set ups anyway just for the bling factor :D

People's experience even in older FJ40's using the stock master varies quite a bit. Some feel the factory master is sufficient, some don't like the increased pedal travel. I would try the stock master first, it only costs some extra brake fluid if you change it later. I'll report later if the 1990+ cruiser that have larger calipers from the factory have larger bore masters than the older ones.

Dave

Just regular 4 runner calipers, from napa or so?

and when you go to disk brakes, how will the e-brake problem be handled?

thanks
jan

Jan-78FJ40 said:
Just regular 4 runner calipers, from napa or so?

thanks
jan

Yes. Can't remember the year myself now, 1992-95?? Alzheimer's setting in.

Factory disk brake FF rear axles with built in park brakes. Bling.

Dave

Jan-78FJ40 said:

Jan TSMMFG sell in 300 rear calipers with e brake .. you must need to do some jog to comect the e brake line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom