Brake Reservoir/Fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
Had new Rancho RS9000x shocks put on this morning - after the rearender (see other thread). They feel great at just setting 4.

Reason for post. Brake idiot light came on coming back from lunch - brakes were feeling a little mushy on the way over to lunch. Figured when I got back to office I'd check brake fluid reservoir. Wondered if shock installer had knocked a brake line or something during installation. CoWorker got out of cruiser to see if there was any fluid where I'd parked this morning - came back and said I was dripping fluids right then and there. Popped hood and the nut on the bottom front of the brake reservior was leaking badly. Dan - it's the nut just above the DS upper shock mount! The guy must have knocked the nut loose. Tightened the nub and leaking stopped.

Definitely going to call and complain. Fluid is WAY below min mark on the reservoir. Not much to say other than hey I think your guy knocked loose my brake reservoir nut.

Is that nut used to drain/bleed? the brake fluids? Other than topping off the fluid are there any other concerns I should have? Is the brake fluid in any way corrosive enough to get cleaned off the shock mount and rest of lower motor bay? Doubt the last bit, but figured I'd ask anyway. TIA

Brent,

That nut is not used to drain or bleed the brake system.

>> Other than topping off the fluid are there any other concerns I should have? <<

You may have some air in the lines. Nothing to panic about. I think it is reasonable to ask the shop that installed the shocks to bleed your brake system. If you supplied a quart of Synthetic brake fluid they would probably flush the system for you. (Valvoline Dot3/4)

Bleeding won't cost them anything other than time and a little fluid. They can also check to be sure that connection wasn't damaged when he removed the top LH shock nut. They frequently use an impact on that top nut.

(Later) Brake fluid will eat paint so be sure to clean it from wherever it leaked and DO NOT get any on the outside of the body.

-B-

Thx Beo,

Just talked to the shop. They said bring it on back and they'd inspect everything. BTW they were using an impact wrench.

What is that nut for then?

Brent,
You would use that nut to seperate the brake lines from the master cylinder if it need servicing. I think we're talking about the same thing.... hard to tell without a pic or a better description.
-B-

Beo,

It's a brass looking nut that is on the underside of the gray cylinder housing that sits below the plastic reservoir. Front to back on the brake assembly it's on the front underside. 10mm nut.

[quote author=Brentbba link=board=2;threadid=7551;start=msg63181#msg63181 date=1068845103]Is the brake fluid in any way corrosive enough to get cleaned off the shock mount and rest of lower motor bay? Doubt the last bit, but figured I'd ask anyway. TIA
[/quote]

Clean that brake fluid off all paint ASAP!!!!!! :eek:
use some degreaser, or maybe rubbing alcohol! scrub! scrub!

Beowulf's statement wasn't strong enough, brake fluid will destroy your paint! It'll pull paint, primer, and all off. Same with frame paint.

Hopefully not too late :whoops:

Several hours, but will do as soon as I get home. All internal to the engine bay.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom