Brake recommendations (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What’s the consensus on brake pads s rotors for the 80? Planning on a front axle overhaul and decided to do the brakes too. I had considered stoptech, slotted cryogenic treated with EBC green stuff pads but I wanted to get opinions. Thanks!

I've heard great things on the terrain tamer pads and rotors it is what I will go with next time around. A lot of people say great things with ebc as well.

I have heard a few positive remarks about the PowerStop kits. You can find them on Amazon, AutoAnything, and Rock Auto sometimes. AutoAnything is always running sales and promotions too.

I have DBA rotors with 100 series oem front pads, stops great!

Since I never do threshold braking in my 80, I always go with OEM 80 pads and Murf was saying Genuine OEM rotors are only about $65ea. That's my plan for the Birfield Experience in the near future.

Maybe a dissenting opinion, if you want to upgrade for the sake of upgrade.

I used the dimpled/slotted rotors and 100 series pads (semi-metallic) from Brake Performance on mine and was pretty happy with the way it stopped. The price seemed pretty reasonable and lifetime warranty on the rotors.

I just had this done: new OEM rotors, OEM 100 series pads, new OEM brake lines, re-manufactured OEM calipers from Camelback Toyota parts.

These parts, plus the new Aisin master cylinder and OEM brake booster I put in last year have my brakes working great, but I guess they had better work great since its basically a new brake system....

I just had this done: new OEM rotors, OEM 100 series pads, new OEM brake lines, re-manufactured OEM calipers from Camelback Toyota parts.

These parts, plus the new Aisin master cylinder and OEM brake booster I put in last year have my brakes working great, but I guess they had better work great since its basically a new brake system....

May I ask what the lot ran you?

May I ask what the lot ran you?

I really cant remember the cost of each item, but its was over $1k all in. I accumulated half the parts over time, so the pain was spread out.

What I can remember:

Front Brake restoration:

OEM Booster - just under $500
Aisin MC - $90, brand new Aisin/Advics from Rock Auto
Rotors - around $130 for the pair
Reman calipers - ??? with mud discount $160-240 ???
Brake lines(soft) ???
new copper washers ???
new banjo bolts ???
Brake fluid

Centric disks--not fancy but a bargain and working absolutely fine. Under $50.
Duralast Max pads--ditto.

No trouble stopping, no shimmy, quiet, lasting just fine.

What’s the consensus on brake pads s rotors for the 80? Planning on a front axle overhaul and decided to do the brakes too. I had considered stoptech, slotted cryogenic treated with EBC green stuff pads but I wanted to get opinions. Thanks!

Consensus, lol. You know better than pulling the pin and dropping the grenade into this forum:p More importantly, post up some baby pics:)
I would use toyota rotors and pads. I am not in the 100 series pads camp, tried that once and regretted it.
Racers will run whatever rotor someone is willing to pay them enough to run. More metal> than less metal. I think the side lugs on my tires offer more cooling to the rotor than some slots or holes could ever create.
I am currently running Napa rotors and Toyota pads and have good stopping power. I had to use Napa because it was a Sunday and Toyota was closed, WTF @murf, #CBT24/7
Rotors: Blank vs Cross Drilled vs Slotted and Warping | Automotive Thinker - Discussing the finer points of automobiles

Last edited:
Consensus, lol. You know better than pulling the pin and dropping the grenade into this forum:p More importantly, post up some baby pics:)
I would use toyota rotors and pads. I am not in the 100 series pads camp, tried that once and regretted it.
Racers will run whatever rotor someone is willing to pay them enough to run. More metal> than less metal. I think the side lugs on my tires offer more cooling to the rotor than some slots or holes could ever create.
I am currently running Napa rotors and Toyota pads and have good stopping power. I had to use Napa because it was a Sunday and Toyota was closed, WTF @murf, #CBT24/7
Rotors: Blank vs Cross Drilled vs Slotted and Warping | Automotive Thinker - Discussing the finer points of automobiles

Hahaha, I just wanted to know what most in the group had gone with!

Two of them are still cooking until the end of June, but Elliott is doing well, finally walking at 15 months!

Is he a talker? Our daughter seemed to take forever to get on her feet but was pretty vocal & observant.

OEM Toyota parts, the more you replace in the system the better it will operate especially at higher mileage. Factory rotors and pads work very well and price is decent.

I replaced all of my 80's brakes with new Toyota pads, rotors, and calipers a few years back. Also flushed the brake fluid x2 (a must do). The pedal felt much better, but It did not stop any better than beforebe and the brakes would heat up really fast. A year or so later, I put a powerstop kit in front and it stops excellent now. I have been pulling a small travel trailer with no brake controller for the past year, it stops great and has never had any fade. The kit has about 30k on it now, and pads are still about 70%. I am a huge fan of the powerstop kit, and I normally don't like drilled rotors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom