Brake Question - Right break pad size??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jbuckley21

2011 LC200 - Stock
Threads
Hi all,

Could use your folks opinion and help here. 2011 LC, with the shutdown started to do a little more of the maintenance myself, within my abilities. As a result have noticed some things that clearly were not being done correctly (e.g. skid plate was rusted shut, had a couple sheared bolts, so not sure oil filter was being changed). I was rotating the tires and noticed that the front break pads appear larger than the rear. Adding two picks. Given what I learned on the oil filter, this has my guard up. Do not have the spec book on the LC. Sharing two picks. Larger break pad is from the front, smaller break pad is off the rear. Noticed because of the wear line around the rear rotor was smaller than the front. Is this spec? Should the rear be smaller than the front due to weight or something else? The breaks were changed in the rear 1.5 years ago. currently at 90k miles. I am thinking of upgrading the lines and and brakes. I have read tundra breaks are a good upgrade. Really appreciate any insight here, as to whether the appropriately size pads were installed on the rear. Thanks!

Rear Brake Pic.jpeg

Front Brake.jpeg

Totally normal, basically everything on the road that isn’t a heavy duty truck (think tractor trailer) is like this.

It is because your vehicle transfers weight to the front when you hit the brakes, so that axle will get more traction, and can therefore use a larger brake. Same size brake on the rear would just lock up right away due to weight transfer away from that axle.

What @bloc said. And the Tundra upgrade involves replacing calipers and other parts, not just brake pads. There are threads on here about what all is required. To help, here's one so you can see what is involved.

Funny thing is that with the Tundra upgrade, the pads remain the same. It's just a larger diameter rotor in the front.

If the OP isn’t familiar with what normal brakes look like, I don’t suspect they are a good candidate for a DIY to the Tundra front brake setup, and good luck finding a shop that will do it.

OP, any chance you might mean Tundra TRD brake pads are a good upgrade? If so, they are a direct replacement for the Land Cruiser pads.

What @bloc said. And the Tundra upgrade involves replacing calipers and other parts, not just brake pads. There are threads on here about what all is required. To help, here's one so you can see what is involved.
Very helpful thank you! Yes in fairness, last time I changed brakes was on my first car and I was 16. But what could go wrong! TY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom