Brake pedal adjustment question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am near the end of refreshing my 71's brakes (all drums). I installed a rebuilt master, new hoses, and rebuilt the cylinders. The brakes were real bad before this so I have nothing to compare too.

With the engine off the pedal goes down half way before it firmly stops. Is that a correct throw? Should it stop higher up? Do I need to adjust the rod from the booster to the master?

Thanks for your input!

You need to adjust all eight wheel cylinders...no really, you need to adjust them....and then drive the car stopping moving forward and then in reverse, and adjust them again.

I plan to do that this weekend :)

Coolerman had a good write up on it, but until I actually drive it and wear the brakes in, adjust again and again and... :D

I'll see how they feel then. Plus I still have one inch of pump up pedal travel to get rid of. I suspect a small pocket of air at the top near the master still.

Plus I still have one inch of pump up pedal travel to get rid of. I suspect a small pocket of air at the top near the master still.

This is indicative of the wheel cylinders needing to be adjusted, period.

If you have bled the system properly, I doubt that you have air in the system.

I would not adjust anything other than the wheel cylinders, and then adjust them again after you have the shoes centered in the drums by using the brakes as described previously.

Adjusting the actuation rod between the master cylinder and the brake booster, or, the rod between the pedal and the booster could only lead to more confusion if the above is not done first.

:meh:

Last edited:
You may be right, but I swore I had no air left before I broke the lines at the master to bleed. I went from nearly full pedal travel pump up down to 1 inch. I am going to give it one last bleed tonight before I drive it for a while.

FIXED!!!

It still had air. I ended up burping the rear cylinders and the upward facing fronts. That did the trick and I now have good working brakes. Yay! It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom