Brake Noise - What could it be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopefully not in need of a new brake booster but I feel like it'll be sooner than later......

Since purchase of the 99 LX it's made some odd noises and vibrations on the brake pedal. Doesn't matter how fast or what RPM or anything.. if sitting idle or moving at any speed under 65mph, pump the brakes a couple times kinda hard or use them as normal when coming to a stop, the pedal begins to vibrate and make a low volume, ABS noise for about 5 or more seconds. Not a vacuum sound, almost sounds electrical? Could this be the ABS kicking on or malfunctioning? It also sometimes does it on its own without having the brakes depressed. Mind you, I do not stomp the brakes or stop abruptly for the ABS to come on.

There are no dash lights on, indicating any issues. Haven't plugged it in and checked codes yet but will this weekend when I get the time. Not daily driving it yet until all things are serviced and fixed. What do you think?

Hopefully not in need of a new brake booster but I feel like it'll be sooner than later......

Since purchase of the 99 LX it's made some odd noises and vibrations on the brake pedal. Doesn't matter how fast or what RPM or anything.. if sitting idle or moving at any speed under 65mph, pump the brakes a couple times kinda hard or use them as normal when coming to a stop, the pedal begins to vibrate and make a low volume, ABS noise for about 5 or more seconds. Not a vacuum sound, almost sounds electrical? Could this be the ABS kicking on or malfunctioning? It also sometimes does it on its own without having the brakes depressed. Mind you, I do not stomp the brakes or stop abruptly for the ABS to come on.

There are no dash lights on, indicating any issues. Haven't plugged it in and checked codes yet but will this weekend when I get the time. Not daily driving it yet until all things are serviced and fixed. What do you think?
Possibly what you're feeling/hearing is the electric motor on the booster. There is a check for this: 1) with key OFF, depress brake pedal 40+ times until you feel the pedal drop out and become light to press with long strokes; 2) Pop the hood open; 3) Have a stop watch or timer handy; 4) turn key to ON but do not start the engine, and then start the stop watch. You should hear a motor running next to the brake booster. You want to record the amount of time it takes for the motor to stop running, which indicates it has filled the adjoining accumulator with sufficient pressure. If that motor runs for longer than 30 seconds or so, then it's likely going bad and needs rebuilt ($300-500) or replaced ($1,000).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom