Brake Lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Putting in a new Master cylinder. I noticed the brake lines bolt that goes into the Master cylinder is a little rough. It did not ever leak there (from what I know of). Anyways, I looked at the bolt and the threads do not go all the way to the end. There is a little flat section and then what looks like a few little threads at the very end where it connects the seal. Should it look like this? If I need a new one, can I just buy the 2' 6" hard brake line at an auto parts store?
Also, I have a 4" lift and was inspecting the rear line and feel that there is not any danger of being too tight at all. I know I have read a lot that people have to replace these for full flex and all, what’s the story? Thanks guys, I can’t tell you how helpful this site is to my money-pit and myself.

The shape of the brake line as you describe is correct to my knowledge. The flare at the end of the line is to allow the bolt on the line something to push down when it is tightened into the master cylinder. The bolt should screw snug against this flare and the flare should then seat firmly against the lip inside the master cylinder housing (this forms the hydraulic seal). There is no need for threads on the end of the bolt since the important aspect of this piece is that it bottoms out against the flare/cylinder (so the threading stops early to help ensure that the master cylinder threads are sufficiently deep). If the flare itself has burrs or does not have a flat (by eye) mating surface you will need to either get a new line or do some very fine file work. If it is damaged, I would just get the line since hydraulic systems are finiky with hand done work some times and the part should be cheap enough, not to mention your life is on the line... ;)

As far as brake line flex, if you do not have a long enough rear line you WILL damage the line (and loose your brakes) if your flex extends past the length of the line. While your normal driving (such as DD) may never cause your suspension to flex sufficiently to do this, I would never take it on more than a forest service road for fear of this! I don' know off the top of my head, but hopefully this helps...

D

When I installed a 4" lift my rear brake line was pulled taut. I drove several hundred miles and one light wheelin trip like this. Luckily it didn't break, I don't know how. Unless you're positive you have enough slack for full droop you want to replace it with a longer one.

Where can I get a longer brake line extension? What is the length I need for 4" lift?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom