Brake Diagnostics - what cha think? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Replaced the front pads last night, and then flushed the system with new fluid....well, all of the system but the two rears. I couldn't get either of them to budge, even after PB Blaster. I vacuum bleed the LSPV and the two front and MAN was the old fluid toasted!!

Ok, here is the question. The brakes feel very spongy. And the stopping power just isn't there. Do you think:

1) air in ths system and I should do the normal 2 man bleed
2) toasted rear fluid that I couldn't flush is the culpret
3) something I am not thinking of

I replaced the rear pads about 6 months ago, so I know they are good.

What Cha Think?

Spongy feel is usually air in the lines and/or toasted brake fluid. Both will make your brake fluid compressible aka spongy. The two man bleeding would be my first attempt but until you crack those two rear bleeders there is no way you really know what you have. Besides, your brand new brake fluid is probably contaminated by the old highly-toasted fluid.

Pumping the brakes also helps clear the master cylinder of old brake fluid, something vac bleeding does not.

Good point. Didn't thin kabout the master cylinder (doh!)

If it clears up, I might be able to talk the good lookin side of the marriage out into the truck. I will bait her with a Bee Gee's CD.

Mudshack said:
Ok, here is the question. The brakes feel very spongy. And the stopping power just isn't there. Do you think:
What Cha Think?

I think you need a 10mm 12 point socket to break the rear bleeders loose. Bleed the rear until it runs clear and then try your brakes.

Yep. My "brake line" wrench went MIA last night, so I was using a regular spanner. I will try again, I too think that the front brakes are handling the majority of the load (I know they do normally, but I mean more so than normal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom