Bradford Metalmaster Lathe Resurrection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Made a hand scraper today. Takes 3/4” carbide blanks. Shaft is 1/8”x3/4”x20” 1018 steel. The handle is a piece of walnut I had laying around and a bronze bushing that I took out of the quick change box.

I didn’t realize they used hand scrapers for final fitting back in the day on precision surfaces. And apparently still do today to a lesser extent in some settings.

View attachment 2537612
View attachment 2537613
View attachment 2537614

That handle looks.... comfortable, lol. You gonna chuck it up in there when you get the thing running and make it round?

I'm ignorant here what's a hand scraper used for?

That handle looks.... comfortable, lol. You gonna chuck it up in there when you get the thing running and make it round?

I'm ignorant here what's a hand scraper used for?

It’s a little better now lol. I will make it nicer eventually but it’s good enough for now.

In combination with a surface plate and precision straight edges they would hand finish lathe beds and other similar surfaces to better than .001”! They left them deliberately with micro peaks and valleys so that oil stays put to act as a cushion. This prevents slip friction on flat members. I think a similar comparison is how you don’t want cylinder walls glass smooth or no oil is there for lubrication...something like that

6176B11B-5524-4C66-A43F-061551657201.jpeg

It’s a little better now lol. I will make it nicer eventually but it’s good enough for now.

In combination with a surface plate and precision straight edges they would hand finish lathe beds and other similar surfaces to better than .001”! They left them deliberately with micro peaks and valleys so that oil stays put to act as a cushion. This prevents slip friction on flat members. I think a similar comparison is how you don’t want cylinder walls glass smooth or no oil is there for lubrication...something like that
That's amazing. Old school was the best school. I'm sure a lot of those old timers would love (and quickly take to) all the computer driven craziness we have now, but I just love old machines. Elegant in their simplicity, but it took a craftsman to use them well.

Been busy! Got the big stuff painted. New bushings in the quick change box and put it back together. Lead screw, control rod, and clutch linkage back on along with apron. Getting ready to drop on the saddle tonight and the tail stock. I got my motor back as well and will be starting the process of wiring everything up tomorrow most likely!

Now...does anyone know if I need a permit to add a 240v outlet in Alabama?? For the time being I’ll be putting a long enough cord on this beast so I can reach into our laundry room. (Don’t tell my wife)

2698BAFC-CAEC-4A28-8E5F-0BFD64D34C7A.jpeg
4CB0E98C-AD73-4BD7-822E-95D0D8485406.jpeg

FF858D10-D703-4F25-BB9C-576B2ED195D6.jpeg

B45BC65D-F5D2-48D0-A7B9-3AB995AA1030.jpeg

28DAFBAD-A243-4F1F-A835-0C39657BC8F9.jpeg

You need a permit... if anyone's gonna know about it. You are legally allowed to work on your own home, whether you have to have a permit or not is often a locality-based thing, more city or county than state. So unless you just want to get it inspected to make sure you did it right or are concerned someone rats you out, just kill your power, pull the correct gauge of wire and breaker, and hook it up. Hopefully your box is out in the garage with you somewhere- the hardest part of that kind of thing is pulling the wire.

(I lived in Blount County for 15 years - permits were not a thing, as there was no code enforcement for anything but septic perc tests.)

I think you are in Huntsville or Madison? Might have some code there to follow. Probably wouldn't come up until you sell the house and have an inspection.

We county folks are not as "current"

I think you are in Huntsville or Madison? Might have some code there to follow. Probably wouldn't come up until you sell the house and have an inspection.

We county folks are not as "current"

Madison. I was able to work a discrete portal into our laundry room to hook up there. My wife hasn’t noticed yet so I’ve got that going for me.

Finally got this chuck off! Cut wheel and diamond sawzall blade. Was able to crack the last bits off without having to mar the spindle. Best news is my runout baaaaaarely moves the needle on my .001” indicator. I’d say I’m less than .0003” which is great!

Ive also ordered tooling and I easily exceeded the cost of the machine!

0B4242DF-74D5-447A-BA05-75AAD04BE2B8.jpeg

C200D095-5A3F-4E81-90F5-E47F4D5A5FDB.jpeg

676F6895-5691-44AC-A878-42F4E0D43179.jpeg

DD30CF0E-5A13-43FF-B64D-83901B3930A7.jpeg

What tooling did you purchase? New/used? Do you have a spare backplate for the 3-jaw chuck you removed?

What tooling did you purchase? New/used? Do you have a spare backplate for the 3-jaw chuck you removed?

Bought new. CXA Post and holders, Shars 3/4" turning and boring set, MT4 Drill Chuck for the tailstock, MT4 live center for tailstock, MT5 dead center for spindle, C5 collet chuck and collets, some measuring stuff, and i was able to get a Shars partially machined backplate for my 4-jaw. The 3 jaw that mated to that plate needs new jaws before it would be worth using.

The original one had a crack in it unfortunately from where someone banged a piece of stock into it. I think it was an old dog plate anyways that someone drilled to mount a chuck on.

4C2AB8EB-7398-4350-A950-7A57E6F67F45_1_105_c.jpeg
3307C7BC-5B4F-42DC-BEFB-E2B615238D20_1_105_c.jpeg

Been busy. Few update pictures of the spade boring setup and coolant pump. Boring 17-4 stainless 8"x1/5" like a charm:

2B246E32-1683-4B1B-97EF-7C1812E66C09_1_105_c.jpeg

I really like the Pollack-esque paint job you're applying to the wall. Nicely done, sir.

It squirts!

Aaaand we’re digital! Getting cross slide set up with DRO as well. It was super easy and cost less than $200 including the ancient eBay tablet. Touchdro control board, two eBay glass scales, and the tablet.

Once I figure out how to do it I’m going to set up a rotary table and try to cut gears.

91AB758F-70C3-40AB-A770-C315C46CA421.jpeg

E79781BB-E6C5-43E0-B44E-66FB60AA0410.jpeg

Great work! I just picked up the same laid you have. Ended up getting it for free! Did you replace the three belts ? And if so where did you get them at ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom