Bradford Metalmaster Lathe Resurrection (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is a good machine right there!
I don't have any idea what I'm really looking at, but the oil in the sight glass looks good, there's nothing that just LOOKS worn out, and the wiring appears new, which hopefully means somebody's been in there and using it relatively recently. Somebody that has a space for that beast needs to buy it.

Casey lent me a hand and got some old IFS hubs fixed up to wear some 4th gen rotors:

That lathe is crazy smooth. Awesome job with the resto!

Last edited:
@FJsapper Thanks for this thread and taking us through your rebuild process! This helped me pull the trigger on a Metalmaster of my own that could use a lot of TLC! Awesome machine, looks great!

@FJsapper Is there any way you could let me know what size the motor drive pulley is on your Bradford?

Somewhere along the way someone swapped what appears to be the motor and drive pulley for one that is too big. Now it rubs on the side cover. Also it is only a 2 rib pulley instead of a 3.

Thanks in advance!

@FJsapper Is there any way you could let me know what size the motor drive pulley is on your Bradford?

Somewhere along the way someone swapped what appears to be the motor and drive pulley for one that is too big. Now it rubs on the side cover. Also it is only a 2 rib pulley instead of a 3.

Thanks in advance!

I think it's 3.5" but i cant pull the cover off right now. A bigger motor pulley will increase your RPMs which is probably not a bad thing but you definitely don't want rubbing.

I am putting this machine up for sale. We are getting ready to move to Detroit and will be upgrading to a larger machine when i get there. Hopefully there is someone out there who can keep it throwing chips! Here is what is included:

Bradford Metalmaster 14.5"x36"

$2950

Steady Rest
Follow Rest
Micrometer Stop
CXA Tool Post and holders
Touch DRO w/tablet
Dead Center
Live Center
Coolant Pump
14" 4-Jaw
12" 3-Jaw
8" 6-Jaw
5c Collet Chuck + collets
Original westinghouse 3hp Motor w/fresh professional rebuild currently wired 220v 3ph
VFD Converts single phase 220v to 3ph 220v for power

2274BA19-D269-419E-AEAE-812BE55B69FF_1_105_c.jpeg
0653C515-DA22-46D3-9F9B-71659F407FFD_1_105_c.jpeg
D10EE3E0-C860-4698-9AD8-B463C2B2EE7F_1_105_c.jpeg
29D97EA1-833D-4FE2-BC92-192C48CF8153_1_105_c.jpeg
83474EB9-20F7-4563-B712-8F054848C59F_1_105_c.jpeg

I am putting this machine up for sale. We are getting ready to move to Detroit and will be upgrading to a larger machine when i get there. Hopefully there is someone out there who can keep it throwing chips! Here is what is included:

Bradford Metalmaster 14.5"x36"

$2950

Steady Rest
Follow Rest
Micrometer Stop
CXA Tool Post and holders
Touch DRO w/tablet
Dead Center
Live Center
Coolant Pump
14" 4-Jaw
12" 3-Jaw
8" 6-Jaw
5c Collet Chuck + collets
Original westinghouse 3hp Motor w/fresh professional rebuild currently wired 220v 3ph
VFD Converts single phase 220v to 3ph 220v for power

View attachment 2932571View attachment 2932573View attachment 2932575View attachment 2932576View attachment 2932577
I really hate to ask, but you wouldn’t be willing to part with anything individually would you?

That’s awesome! I’ve been keeping an eye out for a steady rest. That why I was asking. Great machine! Thanks again for your help and inspiration!

Scan ebay for "steady rest." You will likely never find anyone specifically selling a Bradford steady but there is a chance somebody throws one up without knowing what it is. There are lots of random steadys for sale where people dont know what machine they came off of. Also hit up Interplant Sales. They have boxes full of random steady rests and you may get lucky if you shoot them a picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom