Bottom radiator hoses? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Despite numerous searches I just can't seem to identify what these hoses are on the bottom of the radiator. There are a lot of threads/posts about changing out all the coolant lines, but these hoses are never included/identified. Even vendors that offer packages supplying all the hoses needed to do this don't include these hoses it seems. I've looked at a bunch of the factory coolant system diagrams and can't find them there either. So this post is my last resort. If anyone will know what they are it's the IH8MUD braintrust. The first one runs from near the radiator output hose across and under the fan to a hard line that runs back toward the firewall. The other one exits the radiator near the radiator drain plug and crosses the frame near the steering box. It's hard to see where it goes from there. Thanks!

20200618_100222.jpg

20200618_100259.jpg

Those are your transmission cooler/warmer lines. The bottom of the radiator has a separate section for ATF fluid to run through. It helps the primary cooler that is up in front of the condenser keep the ATF cool once at operating temps, but it also helps warm the ATF up to operating temp when cold.

Those hoses are an odd ball size (10mm) which isn't that easy to find and OEM replacements are pricey. 3/8" hose fits but is a bit tighter to get on.

Last edited:
Those are your transmission cooler/warmer lines. The bottom of the radiator has a separate section for ATF fluid to run through. It helps the primary cooler that is up in front of the condenser keep the ATF cool once at operating temps, but it also helps warm the ATF up to operating temp when cold.

Those hoses are an odd ball size (10mm) which isn't that easy to find and OEM replacements are pricey. 3/8" hose fits but is a bit tighter to get on.
Thank you! I had no idea there was a ATF section in the radiator!

Thank you! I had no idea there was a ATF section in the radiator!
Those lines often get overlooked when replacing parts of the cooling system. I recently replaced mine as "while-you're-in-there" maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom