Borla 14814 Exhaust Install with Pics and Notes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it was lower it wasn't significant. I had my running boards pulled off and no sliders, so pretty much a worst case scenario to see clearance

I am gonna have to go with "No" on that option. The tip will be too big since it is 4"+ diameter and installed at an angle. You do not want it rubbing on anything or it will rattle.

You are gonna want to look for the OEM or Draw Tite hitch that just goes above the exhaust or look into the Doug Thorley setup with no tip.

If you run the Borla plan on modifying it and removing the tip

i have a curt hitch on my 99 lx 470 which also surrounds the tip of the exhaust. I also just got the borla cat back system. hasnt arrived yet in the mail. may have to make some mods to it :(

i dont care about loud exhausts or anything, but i got the borla because it is stainless steel and seems like it would last a long time, especially in the climate where i live. I hope it works.....

i have a curt hitch on my 99 lx 470 which also surrounds the tip of the exhaust. I also just got the borla cat back system. hasnt arrived yet in the mail. may have to make some mods to it :(

when you do the install, can you take some photos?
My OEM hitch surrounds the tip of the exhaust as well, would like to see what your workaround is.

I had the borla catback installed today and it is wonderful. I did have to have the shop cut off the tip of the rear tailpipe and weld a straight stainless steel pipe in place of it so it could fit through the opening through the curt hitch. A minor modification and did not affect anything. I kept the tip as a decorative piece :)

I had the borla catback installed today and it is wonderful. I did have to have the shop cut off the tip of the rear tailpipe and weld a straight stainless steel pipe in place of it so it could fit through the opening through the curt hitch. A minor modification and did not affect anything. I kept the tip as a decorative piece :)
If it's not too much to ask, can you upload some photos please? Thanks!

Ok, I jumped in the rabbit hole and got this setup through amazon at a deep discount thanks to my Amex points! Thanks to others for posting Toyota P/Ns, and got fresh gaskets and bolts! Going to attempt this weekend if the weather is warm enough to work in the barn... I’ll post some photos once I’m done.

Definitely post plenty of pictures. Also if you can take some before and after video to get a decent idea of exhaust note changes!

was going to get after it this weekend, but my order for gaskets and bolts wont be here until Monday - so i'll look to do it next week. I'll take plenty of photos before and after.

Sorry for the delay in posting this, but a lot going in the world... so I did manage to get after this and get the Borla installed. Thanks for @ArnieC for documenting this so well (including tools!) and others who have commented and sent pictures. that and my starter wedged the contacts right in the middle of the project, so that added a new wrinkle...

BLUF: It's a great solution. Not too much change in over all sound, though it is more "tuned" and bit more muted. Very straight forward to install. Only concern is the Borla Tip, while very pretty, is likely to get whacked at some point - so I'll keep an eye on it and if it looks like its a problem I'll have a shop swap it to something that a bit more tucked.

The hardest part of the install was cutting all 4 of the bolts - they were too far gone with 250k on the rig.
as promised here are some photos of the before and after. Folks here have done a better job with audio sounds, and my results are consistent.

Before:
TLC100-Borla- - 1.jpg
TLC100-Borla- - 3.jpg

TLC100-Borla- - 2.jpg
TLC100-Borla- - 4.jpg

Here's my OEM muffler - explains the noise and heat i was feeling on the 2nd row floor!

TLC100-Borla- - 6.jpg

Here's a comparison of the OEM vs Borla:

TLC100-Borla- - 5.jpg

TLC100-Borla- - 7.jpg
TLC100-Borla- - 10.jpg

Last edited:
and finally installed:
TLC100-Borla- - 11.jpg
TLC100-Borla- - 14.jpg
TLC100-Borla- - 16.jpg
TLC100-Borla- - 12.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a comparison of the resonator heights, as there were some concerns in this thread about that. while It does appear that there is some loss of ground clearance, i really think it's minimal. if anything, it's a change in the angle:

TLC100-Borla- - 4.jpg
TLC100-Borla- - 17.jpg

lastly, it took exactly these tools... agree with the hangar pliers comments made by others in this thread! for me, the air-powered grinder was very useful in cutting the 4 bolts out and the punch was neccessary to bang the bolts out!

TLC100-Borla- - 13.jpg

Got mine installed. Very happy! It's definitely louder than I thought based what I read. It also has a totally different tone from partial throttle to WOT. I cut .5 seconds off my 0-60 time also according to my Dragy: Amazon.com: dragy 10Hz GPS Based Performance Meter: GPS & Navigation So it's definitely working better. That picture of the y-junction on the stock exhaust on the first page of this thread has given my nightmares so I'm glad to be free of that horror.

I had to cut the extra large tip off like other's had to in order to fit it through my tow receiver opening but I'm going to just have my local exhaust shop weld on something smaller on Monday. The huge tip was ridiculous anyway.

Borla Exhaust: Amazon.com: Borla 14814 Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust System: Automotive
Don't forget two donut seals: Amazon.com: Fel-Pro 23591 Exhaust Flange Gasket: Automotive

I made a video to try and give a good impression of what the exhaust sounds like:

I had to cut the extra large tip off like other's had to in order to fit it through my tow receiver opening but I'm going to just have my local exhaust shop weld on something smaller on Monday. The huge tip was ridiculous anyway.

Please update us with photos of the before welding on the new tip and after please!
I'm in the same boat with that tow receiver, interested on how the finished look is.

Will do. It is possible to find the exhaust with a smaller 2.25" exhaust tip but the only ever ones I find on Amazon (with the best price) have the large 4" tip so I just went for it.

I only see one part number (14814 on the Borla website) for the 98-07 Land Cruiser, and that one shows a 4" tip.
I'm curious how a different tip will change the exhaust note, if any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom