Borla 14814 Exhaust Install with Pics and Notes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got my sweet new Borla 14814 exhaust the other day for my 2006 Land Cruiser and braved the cold to install it this morning.

First - my review.
  • Fitment: A- Fits very well, main muffler could be put up a little higher. Everything mated up perfect. No rattles even over some serious bumps. Works with my Reese hitch on my 2006. Exhaust tip is subtle but sticks out just a hair, centered up nicely on the hitch opening.
  • Quality: A Its a 304 stainless exhaust from the best in the business. Believe it or not, it should outlast your cruiser. Flanges and welds are very excellent
  • Sound: B- Sounds good, pretty quiet for an upgraded exhaust. Has a nice rumble to it when accelerating, no additional noise at cruise. I wish it was a little louder but the wife likes it and thats what is important. Really no noticeable cabin noise change over stock at cruise. No drone at all. I have comparable cold start videos I need to upload.
  • Kitting/Customer Experience: C- No installation instructions were found in my box, no replacement gaskets were included, no hardware, no stickers. Did include an ugly non-flexfit hat. Was packaged well. Intermediate pipe not included. Mine was in good shape, and I am a fabricator so I can whip up a larger stainless version once it warms up.
  • Overall: B Definitely would recommend to anyone needing an exhaust replacement especially if you can get it at a discount (I paid a hair under 600 for it, shipped to my door Amazon Prime. To replace a stock exhaust that is in good condition I am a little more meh. Its cool and all and I love an exhaust on my vehicles, but its pretty spendy for what it is. Will be interesting to see if my MPGs pick up at all.
And now the pics!
Giant Box!
All the components that Borla included laid out on my workbench
Make sure you buy qty 2 of the new exhaust gaskets, and new exhaust bolts if yours are super rusty. Mine came off with some CRC freeze off and MAPP gas. Gaskets are Felpro 23591, stock at Advance Auto and your 25% coupon code will work with them.
Side view of stock main muffler.
Rear view of stock rear muffler.
Borla Tip
Borla Resonator and Mid-Pipe Fitment
Borla Resonator
Borla main muffler
Borla inlet pipes. Fit excellent, I rattle canned them black so they don't stick out so much.
This is the inlet to the factory muffler. No bueno. Should really wake up the truck, especially the VVTi 06 and 07s.
Tools required:
Long handle 3/8" drive ratchet (I used my Snap-On long handle flex head, it was the bees knees.)
15mm ratcheting and combo wrench for Borla-provided clamp
14 mm ratcheting and long pattern combo wrenches for exhaust bolts
Tape to wrap the tip to keep from scratching it or your bodywork during install
Mapp gas torch
Sawzall with metal blade to cut stock exhaust over axle
Your favorite penetrating oil
Antiseize for the slip joint and the bolts
And most important! Exhaust hanger pliers. One of those tools you will use once and wonder how you lived without them.

Stock, cold start

Borla, cold start

Last edited:
Looks good!

judging by that factory inlet there seems to be power had.

Can you comment on drone and noise level when cruising at highway speeds compared to stock? I’ve been wanting to do an exhaust on my LX but having just driven it 700 miles the last few days, I enjoy the quiet on the highway.

Reading is tough. ;)

From the OP:

“Has a nice rumble to it when accelerating, no additional noise at cruise. I wish it was a little louder but the wife likes it and thats what is important. Really no noticeable cabin noise change over stock at cruise. No drone at all. I have comparable cold start videos I need to upload.”

Reading is tough. ;)

From the OP:

“Has a nice rumble to it when accelerating, no additional noise at cruise. I wish it was a little louder but the wife likes it and thats what is important. Really no noticeable cabin noise change over stock at cruise. No drone at all. I have comparable cold start videos I need to upload.”

Yeah that was my fault. Was "reading" (skimming) on my phone.

To the OP: looking forward to the video once it gets posted and working.

I had them set to Private - try again and see if you have more success.

Yeah - its got a nice rumble to it. They are also getting a bit more blow out and sounding better. Noticed it last night when I started it up that it has gotten a bit louder over the last few days.

Great writeup. I had a huge hole in my muffler and needed to do something as the drone was driving me nuts, so I picked up a Borla setup (price had gone up to 680 by the time I decided). I thought I'd add my experience for the next Mud searcher. I only got one bolt off with heat/penetrant/impact wrench, so had to use an angle grinder on 3, and remove the transmission shield and use a sawzall with metal blade to get the last one out (dremel or die grinder would also have worked). 14mm for exhaust bolts, 12 mm for transmission shield, no idea on the clamp since I just cut mine off. Echo the value of the exhaust hanger pliers!

If you're looking for a good source for new gaskets and bolts (since you're cutting most of them if yours is as old as mine), here are the Toyota part numbers. (I used 'PartSouq' and was impressed with only 4 days shipping (10 bucks) to my door)
9091706045 Quantity 2 (gaskets - $1.15 each from PartSouq, or $25 each at local Lexus dealer)
9418561000 Quantity 4 (nuts)
9151561035 Quantity 4 (bolts)

Here's a video from my 2004 LX470 (first startup and rev).

Can you guys comment on the bend right above the axle compared to the stock exhaust?
My concern is that if the bend is lower, that the axle may contact the piping when at full flex.

Thanks

I have DT headers and 3 inch EMS all the way through and straight through muffler. Considerable gains and makes a difference. A little loud.

The biggest difference is combining DT headers and the 3 inch exhaust. Tons of threads and dyno results on mud.

Can you guys comment on the bend right above the axle compared to the stock exhaust?
My concern is that if the bend is lower, that the axle may contact the piping when at full flex.

Thanks

The bend was comparable, there is a clamp that the stock exhaust does not have toward the front since the system is split. If you rotate the clamp, it will work just fine for you.

I wonder if this would fit through my hitch, it surrounds the exhaust tip.

I think this exhaust plus headers would be fantastic!

I wonder if this would fit through my hitch, it surrounds the exhaust tip.

I think this exhaust plus headers would be fantastic!

I am gonna have to go with "No" on that option. The tip will be too big since it is 4"+ diameter and installed at an angle. You do not want it rubbing on anything or it will rattle.

You are gonna want to look for the OEM or Draw Tite hitch that just goes above the exhaust or look into the Doug Thorley setup with no tip.

If you run the Borla plan on modifying it and removing the tip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom