Body to frame clearance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was halfway through the Rubicon trail and noticed that the bottom of my passenger rear door is rubbing against the top of my slider when I open it. I assumed the slider was bent up but I got home and took a look in the rear fender well and see the inner fender/body touching the frame. I have not dug in far enough to see if the rubber body cushions are shot or if the actual body is bent or rusted or collapsed. Anyone have a photo of how much gap there should be between the Frame and body/inner fender well?

IMG_1300.jpeg

ya, thats no bueno. I just walked past mine and I can get my finger tips in between there. Not saying mine is right though either.... lol

About 1/2" on mine. I replaced the body mounts a year or 2 ago.

20230627_153102.jpg

Take a close look at your frame brackets in the rear. Not just the condition of the bushings. I collapsed both rear frame brackets on two separate Rubicon trips after really getting twisted up in Old Sluice or Big Sluice. I've since reinforced the brackets with plates welded in. The stock steel is surprisingly thin.

Thanks for the photos. Somethings collapsed a bit. My truck has been through the con and other trails and some high speed desert driving, all while heavily loaded. The bushings look a bit bulged. I'll take a closer look at the brackets on the frame and the body. My slider is definitely bent though. When I remove the sliders to repair/replace them it might be a good time to go through the bushings/mounts. I'm not looking for poly bushings but Ive heard the OEM rubber bushings are not all available anymore.

Thanks for the photos. Somethings collapsed a bit. My truck has been through the con and other trails and some high speed desert driving, all while heavily loaded. The bushings look a bit bulged. I'll take a closer look at the brackets on the frame and the body. My slider is definitely bent though. When I remove the sliders to repair/replace them it might be a good time to go through the bushings/mounts. I'm not looking for poly bushings but Ive heard the OEM rubber bushings are not all available anymore.
The rear frame mounts are kinda hard to see if you have a full bumper since they are on the outer side of the frame which is usually covered by protective plates. I didn't see how bad mine were until I removed my Labs bumper. If the hole in the side of the bracket is oval shaped at all, then the bracket is tweaked.
Last I heard, only the rear cushions are not available for the FZJ80 but direct replacements can be found for HDJ81 JDM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom