body shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I took apart the interior to start banging out the dents from the last trip. I can't really get to the spots that need persuading. Can anyone recomend a body shop that is cruiser friendly. By that I mean a shop that will help a cruiser head who is paying out of pocket and doesn't want the offending dents filled with plastic. If the shop is worthy I will drive out of allentown. Thanks in advance for any leads.
Chris

CJBury said:
Well I took apart the interior to start banging out the dents from the last trip. I can't really get to the spots that need persuading. Can anyone recomend a body shop that is cruiser friendly. By that I mean a shop that will help a cruiser head who is paying out of pocket and doesn't want the offending dents filled with plastic. If the shop is worthy I will drive out of allentown. Thanks in advance for any leads.
Chris

Chris, you can do it. Check out Jim's site.
http://home.off-road.com/~cruiserhead/panbeaters/panbeaters.htm

I have a friend at work, his dad was a body guy. He has all the tools, unfortunatly he is no longer with us to do the work. However, friend was willed all the tools. Maybe ill try. How bad can I F it up, right?:rolleyes:
The real issue is I would like to try to keep it nice looking. Some day I want to have the nice 30 year old rig out playing on the trails.
Chris

Step 1 so far so good.:bounce: :bounce2: Now for the fun part, try to smooth it out.
repair1.JPG

hey that looks good, n o shame in a little filler to help out the finishing work. You can use "all metal" if you can find it. It is a good filler or there is a fiberglass filler as well if you don't like plastic....

zucruisers said:
i dont see any dents:D
I second that :D. Are you gonna put back those flares? I was going to suggest doing Line-X, seems like this would be a great opportunity to do that :cheers:

Both the rear flares are off and the front ones are soon to follow. Jim and I were talking about shooting bed liner on the body as well as the diamond plate. The repair to the fender is as good as I can get it. I don't think it's too bad for a guy with enough body work knowledge to be dangerous. Anyway here are the pics
repaired crop.JPG
repairedcrop2.JPG

How about a little detail. Did you wind up just tapping out the dent gently with dolly(s)? Your paint didn't look bad at all, I imagine you didn't need to spray?

It's a nice feeling knowing that you can fix minor trail bumps! I don't freak anymore over small bumps/scrapes because I know they're fixable. Your body work looks better than mine, though.

Check out a book called the Key to Metal Bumping from Eastwood. A classic that you can read in a few hours. Awesome book with amazingly clear descriptions of how to move metal.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/...?itemID=1638&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=1638

Also, check out a Paintess Dent Repair Video, expensive but impressive what you can do under the right conditions. Very tool intensive but with certain dents you can make them go away like it never happened.

If you want to learn to fix dents with zero bondo, check out a Ron Covell video, also from Eastwood - amazing.

Fun stuff

-Stumbaugh

I just used hammers and dollies. I tried not to hit very hard and work slowly like every one told me. The pictures look better then the real thing. But after it gets bed liner I dont thimk it will be that noticable at all. Thanks for the tips on the books and video I think I will check them out.

Don't get me wrong, I think you did a great job, just more info to add to the thread.

The paintless dent guys use long custom made prybars and these things like spoons for prying on the metal. They say that the key is have the light positioned just so and work off the reflection of the light onto the paint. What they do is drill a hole in the side of the panel, like just inside the wheel well or door opening and then use the edge of that hole for leverage. When done, they just pop a plastic plug in the hole and it looks OEM. Very cool.

-Stumbaugh

Looks good Chris - now let's go do it again!

I will see you guys if you go to the pig run. I'll try not to use your winch this time;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom