Body lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi im new to the forum but have been an owner since 86 when my dad gave me my 79 fj40 he baught new.  I have seen some posts stating they had body lifts. who makes them or did you custom make them yourselves? if so how? "btw" im at the start of a frame up rebuild

IMO i dont like body lifts, their cheap, but they have a number of downfalls. If your looking for 2-4", then just go with a spring lift.

Custom, from poly boat rollers.

IMO, any body lift over 1" on a FJ40 looks stupid, but that's just me.

Hockey pucks are what was used on mine their 1" thick, just drill a hole in the center

I have a 2 1/2 inch body lift on mine. To make it look right it's a lot of work. My tub is extended behind the wheel wells to meet the bumper. Every place the tub touched the frame has a 2 1/2-.125 square tube body mount. The brakes and wiring were all built from scratch and the steering was all done after the body was done so no additional work was needed there for me. The shifter levers needed to be adjusted. The bib is still not right, but I hope to fix that when I cut off the frame rails after the coil conversion and build a stinger front end. :D
There are many advantages to a body lift. Low CG, less body trimming, tire clearance without increasing the drivetrain angle, etc. It is not a cheap alternative to doing a good suspension lift unless you want it to perform poorly, not last and look bad.
I didn't go with the boat rollers because I felt the steel was stronger and less prone to flex and sheet metal work hardening. Hockey pucks may work in warmer climes, but I have heard many stories of them breaking up and spitting out over time.
May not be true. The plural of anectdote is not data.

>>IMO, any body lift over 1" on a FJ40 looks stupid, but that's just me.

Not the first time I've been accused of looking stupid. Where's that <flipoff> icon? ;)

Gumby, your trips to the plastic surgeon don't count as body lifts... :flipoff2: lol

Sometimes a 1-1.5" body lift is useful in placing the drivetrain in a desired position or allowing clearance for that Atlas transfer case. When that is the goal, a small body lift is fine, but I wouldn't rely on the approach just for "lift"

thanks hocky pucks good idea. im only thinking of an inch or so in combination with a soa

I have a 1 inch body lift, I did it so I could eventually lift the engine and make a flat bottom. Plus I didnt have to lower my bumpstops as much, hence more travel.

I believe a 1inch body lift is the maximum an FJ-40 should ever see.

I used aluminum stock cut to 1 inch thick and drilled holes in them. The bolts were an absolute B***h with my aluminum tub, had to find all stainless bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom