Blown head gasket repair - now it misfires! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got the cruiser back after 2 months and a lot of money for new head gasket and all the various things that are a good thing to replace while it's open, such as resurfaced cylinder head, timing chain kit, coolant hoses, etc. It's misfiring now and runs like S%*t! and they are saying it's a bad #4 cylinder and nothing they can do except replace with new piston and rings. I don't know much, but it seems like timing could be setup incorrectly if the car didn't misfire when I dropped it off, but I wanted to get your opinion. I'm trying to figure out my next step since I don't have much faith in this place. I'm thinking I'll get a second opinion on the timing and also have them do a compression check, which will then help me confirm or deny my suspicions. Anyways, let me know if anyone has any words of wisdom and thanks in advance, as always.

You are correct; worn rings won't cause a misfire. A bad injector connection will, though.

I know this is going to sound dumb… but check your timing. I battled something similar. I think he set the timing but didn’t tighten it. And it gradually worked its way to all the way ret**ded. It would misfire at idle And ran like crap. Something easy to check!

Also, I second why @Malleus said. Had that happen on an LX450.

Another thing to check is the intake tube, it’ll do weird stuff if it’s cracked.

Does yours misfire all the time, or only in certain circumstances?

I know this is going to sound dumb… but check your timing. I battled something similar. I think he set the timing but didn’t tighten it. And it gradually worked its way to all the way ret**ded. It would misfire at idle And ran like crap. Something easy to check!

Also, I second why @Malleus said. Had that happen on an LX450.

Another thing to check is the intake tube, it’ll do weird stuff if it’s cracked.

Does yours misfire all the time, or only in certain circumstances?
Thanks for this information. It seems like it's misfiring all the time but smooths out a bit when you get up to speed.

It’s really helpful if you tell us what year truck you have how many mile are on it and any other helpful information 😎
My 94 had the HG done at 260K and got a lot less while you’re in there stuff done.
8 years later still running great.
I don’t think it's the bottom end !
You need to find someone that knows these Land Cruisers
Knowing where your at would also be helpful we can point you in the right direction 😉

Last edited:
I agree with the others. Should be something simple.

If they did any inspection of cylinder walls while the head was off, there'd be some tell tale signs of problems if the rings were in bad enough shape to cause a misfire (near total compression loss, of loads of oil in the cylinder)

Also, what's been done to diagnose the problem now? Compression test? Leak down test?

I assume spark plugs were replaced? What about plug leads?
Distributor cap? Rotor button?
Test injectors?
Check injector/engine wiring harness for damage over the EGR valve.

Last edited:
It’s really helpful if you tell us what year truck you have how many mile are on it and any other helpful information 😎
My 94 had the HG done at 260K and got a lot less while you’re in there stuff done.
8 years later still running great.
I don’t think it's the bottom end !
You need to find someone that knows these Land Cruisers
Knowing where your at would also be helpful we can point you in the right direction 😉
It's a 97' with 226k miles. I also just read the CE codes and it's a P0302 with misfire in cylinder two, which is in conflict with the mechanic saying the issue is cylinder four. Yes, a knowledgeable LC mechanic would be superb but i'm in small'ish town in West/Central Texas called San Angelo, which is about 3 hours from Austin, DFW, and San Antonio, so kinda out there.

It's a 97' with 226k miles. I also just read the CE codes and it's a P0302 with misfire in cylinder two, which is in conflict with the mechanic saying the issue is cylinder four. Yes, a knowledgeable LC mechanic would be superb but i'm in small'ish town in West/Central Texas called San Angelo, which is about 3 hours from Austin, DFW, and San Antonio, so kinda out there.
May want to call Bearden in ATX if you don’t find something simple, at least they are in NW Austin off 183 which would be closest. They did the HG at 239K on my 97 and it’s singing.

I agree with the others. Should be something simple.

If they did any inspection of cylinder walls while the head was off, there'd be some tell tale signs of problems if the rings were in bad enough shape to cause a misfire (near total compression loss, of loads of oil in the cylinder)

Also, what's been done to diagnose the problem now? Compression test? Leak down test?

I assume diesel plugs were replaced? What about plug leads?
Distributor cap? Rotor button?
Test injectors?
Check injector/engine wiring harness for damage over the EGR valve.
Yeah, you'd think they would have let me know if there was going to be a problem while the head was off getting resurfaced. The only test he mentioned is they replaced the plugs and saw some oil on the fourth plug. I know they're using the same spark plug wires that were in it along with cap and rotor button. I hadn't done anything else but wanted to check with the helpful folks here on what my next move should be to troubleshoot. This is all great info that's been provided thus far. I originally thought to have the timing and a compression tested, but i'm out of my league and why i posted. I personally think because they've had the truck for so long and just wanted to get it out the door once it was buttoned up and didn't do much to troubleshoot. I feel like they just washed their hands of it and said it's a bad cylinder....have a nice day!

May want to call Bearden in ATX if you don’t find something simple, at least they are in NW Austin off 183 which would be closest. They did the HG at 239K on my 97 and it’s singing.
That's good to know and will keep this handy if we don't get this solved fairly easily. Thanks!

You need to do a compression test. You can buy a cheap kit at HF or rent one. If #2 is throwing a code, check #1 & #2 cylinders compression and compare.

I had an eerily similar problem after a head rebuild, except it was #3 cylinder. Compression test verified low compression, even though it drove fine at speed. Idle was pretty rough.

If compression is good, the problem is likely an easier fix.

I’d definitely want to check the injector plugs like @Malleus said. If it’s actually throwing a code, that helps. Number two is harder to get to, but well worth the effort to check.
you guys saved the day again…injector connector was not even connected. The connector appears to be broken, which is understandable from the age, but I cannot believe the shop missed this and blamed it on cylinder 4. Once I connected it, ran like a sewing machine angain and no CE light. Here’s a picture of how I found it.

IMG_2292.jpg

Glad it was something so simple. Have you alerted the shop?

Pretty shytty of the shop and shows their laziness and lack of customer service to not even find a disconnected injector plug.

I would never take any new business to them again.

Pretty shytty of the shop and shows their laziness and lack of customer service to not even find a disconnected injector plug.

I would never take any new business to them again.
This^^^^

That'll do it.

I'd also spend a minute to make sure the rest of them are pushed on as well as they can be.

Also, see if you can fish a zip tie between the wires on the harness plug and connect it down around the injector to hold it on the injector for peace of mind.
I was able to do this on all six cylinders after replacing a head gasket, but that was before the upper intake manifold was put back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom