Blower housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDNs78FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
Test fitting the blower housing motor to the firewall and have about 1/2 gap on the left toward the body side? Is this normal and is it cured with some weather strip or is something off?

5C59DE32-AFFE-45AD-8095-190BD2E28D56.jpeg

image.jpg

These pics to me looks like the vent panel is already somewhat bent. Could be my eyes though. Obviously the original design the heater blower sealed against the metal around the port. Something is wrong as the bolts holding the blower to the firewall do not have that much play.

These pics to me looks like the vent panel is already somewhat bent. Could be my eyes though. Obviously the original design the heater blower sealed against the metal around the port. Something is wrong as the bolts holding the blower to the firewall do not have that much play.
I agree. That’s what I was concerned about. The top pieces that curls over is slightly bent but seems that it’s bent towards the blower which would make the gap smaller?

Test fitting the blower housing motor to the firewall and have about 1/2 gap on the left toward the body side? Is this normal and is it cured with some weather strip or is something off?
Yes, it is normal. Mine used to have a black gasket there. Mice decided to chew it and make a home in there. I built my own replacement out of two 1/4” foam laser cut and RTV’d together. That was about 5 years ago.

02F7FB07-8B39-45CE-B970-F9FA567CDF48.jpeg

So, there must have been an OEM 1/4 inch gasket along with the one on the output of the blower ? It seems there is a missing reason as it makes engineering sense the blower seals to the perimeter of the port. Perhaps a gasket NLA and some other material must be used. Makes sense as both vehicles have the gap. Maybe a parts person here can verify.

So, there must have been an OEM 1/4 inch gasket along with the one on the output of the blower ? It seems there is a missing reason as it makes engineering sense the blower seals to the perimeter of the port. Perhaps a gasket NLA and some other material must be used. Makes sense as both vehicles have the gap. Maybe a parts person here can verify.

I don’t think there is a specific part, but would love to be proven wrong. I looked around at the time and I recall only finding “blower refurb kits“ which were overpriced packages of cheap open-cell foam and adhesive backed weather stripping. You even had to cut your own holes in the foam. I believe SOR and others sold these...
-Tom

Here’s my crusty 1967 housing. Not much of a gap there. Definitely had a thick foam gasket to take up some space though.

C15D1918-38AE-4CAC-A825-4FFD10511E85.jpeg
DED4E19F-DB76-41B4-AAD7-59A93F301F84.jpeg
1BA3EF3D-C960-4537-863E-F6077D8C1CA1.jpeg

that really helps. It appears there is weatherstrip in the flange of the actual housing and then more maybe attached to the tub. I think I'm going to be okay. I'll make a gasket similar to @tomcrusr . Thanks guys!

that really helps. It appears there is weatherstrip in the flange of the actual housing and then more maybe attached to the tub. I think I'm going to be okay. I'll make a gasket similar to @tomcrusr . Thanks guys!
Found a picture before disassembly and looks like I had the gap then too.

D7148E35-0AAA-42B9-ADB7-69BED68C7D56.jpeg

77516462-5018-41DA-9126-D95DC3413793.png

A couple pictures from my ‘78. Foam is mostly deteriorated, but maybe give you an idea of what was original. Measures just a tad over 1/4” thick. 11/32” exact.
464FD0AC-C205-49AD-A00E-2DA0DC84FFDA.jpeg
7FC57389-828C-4C2E-A762-5EE90A792AC8.jpeg

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom