blinking lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my Cruiser is a 1989 FJ62 with the 3FE engine it is a japanees model with factory cable diff locks, i still haven't named her but i will soon.

I've got a strange dash light problem...my battery, difflock, transfercase, and AT temp lights come on after startup. the check engine and other lights go out like normal but the rest stay on and will not go off untill i rev the engine above 2000 ~ 2500 rpm. then the lights go out... and somtimes will stay out. somtimes not. if rpms drop then they come back on. this happens at cold start up and warm. the votage gauge seems to be reading right in the middle... it fluctuates when i rev the engine but doesn't go into the red either direction.

the lights don't flicker when i hit bumps or turn they either stay on or off.

my thoughts are a ground somplace ... but why only 4 of the dash lights
maybe my alternator is goin bad... it seems to be rpm related... but the volts are ok

maybe my cruiser is posessed by demons and i need to find an Exorsist

anyone have any thoughts... sugestions... have a more detailed quetion.... know a good priest????

thanks
dan

buelur.... bueler... anyone... anyone

dan

Alternator brushes. I've heard of 60's doing funky things like that when the brushes are on their way out. Its a cheap part, easy to do, and if your alternator is original, it wouldn't hurt anyway. This is one of those things where you can go ahead and throw $15 at it and see if it fixes. My bet is that it will.

ok.... i like to try simple stuff first

thanks
dan

Also, the some of the lights that are currently on may dimly light right after the brush installation, this is due to the non broken in brushes, with some time it should go away.

I agree w/ the alternator diagnosis but I'm afraid that it's the IC voltage regulator not the brushes that failing. The blinking indicators are classic symptoms of a dying alternator and on FJ62's the weak spot of the alternator it the voltage regulator. Grab a meter or go to a shop and check the voltage out-put my bet is that it's out of spec. For a replacememt I'd stick w/ either a Toyo remanufactured unit or you may want to try Mean Green who just (within the last 5 months or so) introduced a 140amp direct drop in for the 62 series. You may have to upgrade some wiring expecially from the alternator to the battery to handle the extra current.

Thanks guys.

Any one know who carries that particular Meen green Alt.??? i've checked on line no one lists it .... i live in japan so calling is a PITA 16hour time difference...

so who's got it???

thanks

dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom