BJ74 rear quarter replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Grab yourself a few bits of 1/4" square bar and make up a little press brake, there are lots of stiffening bends in those little back corner panels, but they are not too bad to make.

Well, got back at it. Finished the front B pillar stuff today. Lots of dicking around, had issues with the welder.
Finally sorted that out. I enjoy building these pieces, crude but effective.

IMG_0644.JPG

I cleaned up the taillight area again, and got that piece in. Had to ensure that its flat at the front so the taillight
bucket will fit cleanly.. I have to admit, I'm happy with how this turned out.

IMG_0643.JPG
IMG_0642.JPG

Now I've started the small replacement piece for the outer wheel well at the rear. I'll finish it up tomorrow. There essentially isn't anything behind that. It will be nice and strong anyhow.
IMG_0645.JPG

It's odd how metalworking can completely remove all other thought from your mind, and relax your brain! It can be hard work and a pain in the rear, but rewarding and soothing at the same time!

Yeah, got the taillight housing spot welded in, and 98% of the rest done. I've got to punch the spot weld holes
in the new fender and then tack it in. I spent a grotty hour grinding the inner wheel well of useless undercoat
and seam sealer. I got to it in the nick of time, one more winter and it would be rust city. Phew!! Now of course
I have to do the other side, s***!! You are right, MoMo, as my friend Roch says - go to your happy place, Jon.

More pics tomorrow.

I think you are doing good work and are moving along well.

FYI, I found that the "polyurethane adhesive sealant" available at lowes for $6 or so per tube is an awesome seam sealer, and "wheel well surfacer". Easy to put on but wear gloves it sticks to everything!

Just in case you need perspective......the original body was stamped, cut, assembled, painted and delivered long before your expended timeframe. Your dedication is nothing short of staggering.

:)

So back at it. I've been getting a bit of an idea of how to deal with the lighter 0.23 wire and 18 ga
metal. Got the welder dialed in and using lower power but 8-9 ft/min of wire speed and I boosted the gas.
So I got to finally rebuilding the lower lips of the outer wheelwell openings. Many years of crud had taken it'
toll and there just wasn't enough left to grab onto to attach the new fender.

IMG_0663.JPG
IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG

Got this punch and flange combo tool a few years ago. It's quite a cool useful tool. It makes the spot welding a heck
of a lot easier!!

IMG_0667.JPG

Finally got to that cool stage of actual fitting and mocking up to ensure that things will slide together. I then took the ink pen
and marked out all the holes for punching and spot welding. I have a crap load of vice grips, and they are the mandatory tool for
this kind of stuff. After careful consideration, all is good. Damn, feels good to know it fits like it should.

IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0669.JPG
IMG_0670.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG

Now I have to deal with the freakin' fender flare holes that come stock on the 73 series fenders. Understand, that this is a
1989 BJ74 but the fenders are obsolete. So I have a 73 series fender, which I guess are far more popular and still available.
But that leaves me with a bunch of holes. So I am experimenting... I took the punch plugs from the air punch, and realized
they fit perfectly into the stupid little premade holes. So I fitted them in, taped the outboard side and then with judicious use
of JB WELD I painted them in from the back. There are 4 other sq holes so I made little plugs for those by hand and did the same
thing.
No frickin' idea if this is going to work.......:hmm:

IMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_0675.JPG

Last 4 pics to round out the day. I went around and used weld through primer - good stuff from ProForm. Once that dried I
taped all the future spot weld lines over to protect them. I also got covered in seam sealer and did the inner wheel well seam
and all the other seams/welds that seemed to merit a bit more coverage. I then broke open a can of tremclad and painted all the
stuff that is going to be buried and hidden and all the other patches and stuff I did.

So all set up for final weld tomorrow. I'm amazed at the quality and fit of the factory panel.

IMG_0672.JPG
IMG_0676.JPG
IMG_0677.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG

Good stuff Jon! Things are progressing along very well!

So after 5-6 or 10 off and on prefits I got to the tacking and it is complete. About 25-30 hrs including the repairs
and fab of all the little bits and pieces. I used my Jack-all to cross push the top of the rear corner back 5/8". I got it
pushed to the right spot, one click and I heard metal move - then released it. It is within 1/16" of the other Bj74 in the
back so I'm ecstatic with this correction, it had me worried cause I wanted the rear doors to line up proper. The B pillar
was just a matter of me throwing my weight pulling the pillar out until it was at the same distance as the other truck with
no tension.
So with no further, here are the last 8 pics of job done!
IMG_0679.JPG
IMG_0680.JPG
IMG_0681.JPG
IMG_0682.JPG

last 4 pics, primer on, --- waiting to find missing antenna so I can put the front fenders on, replace the windshield,
get it inspected.

IMG_0683.JPG
IMG_0684.JPG
IMG_0685.JPG
IMG_0686.JPG

Always great watching someone learn the ins and outs of metal work, extremely rewarding and satisfying once you understand a few basics...

Good work....:steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom