BJ73 (3B) Fan Belt replacement issues.......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'Day Fella's,

I recently replace both the fan belts on my 11-1989, BJ73 (3B).
When I went to Toyota for the new belts, I was told the existing Alternator belt (part # 99343-01235), was no longer available.
So I purchased a new Water Pump belt and placed on order, the OEM reccomended replacement Alternator belt.
When this arrived, I tried to fit it but it was just to short.
I removed the air filter box, and the alternator but despite this, I was not able to get the new belt on the pulley's.
So I took it back, and Toyota refunded me the money ($50.05 AUD, Trade price).
I ended up getting a slightly longer, after market Bosch brand (# 15A1270) belt, and Battle Cruiser, was back up and spinning again.

Here are some images of the old and new belts together.
DSCN2720.JPG

and the new Bosch belt in place, on the Alternator.
If you look, you can see the black marker pen marks, on the radius tensioner, adjustment arm.
As you can see, the adjustment difference between Old and New belts, was about 40mm or 1 1/2".
DSCN2723.JPG

DSCN2726.JPG

Despite the extra length of the Bosch belt, there is still plenty of clearance between the Alternator body and the air fliter box.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

Last edited:
I never go to Toyota for belts because they over charge. Ive been using Bosch and other brands for years and they work fine. You would never convince me that mitsubishi or other japanese companies can make better rubber products than their competitors.

G'Day RoscoFJ73,

Yes mate, at just $21.30 for the Bosch replacment belt, I know where I'll be going to in future.

D'oh!
Homer

If you are really bored some day, run through all the various patents that Mitsuboshi has. They have the capability to produce some of the best belts on the planet. With that said, there are many other quality belts out there.

I never go to Toyota for belts because they over charge. Ive been using Bosch and other brands for years and they work fine. You would never convince me that mitsubishi or other japanese companies can make better rubber products than their competitors.

If you are really bored some day, run through all the various patents that Mitsuboshi has. They have the capability to produce some of the best belts on the planet. With that said, there are many other quality belts out there.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with them, but as you can see Toyota Australia charged him $50 for the belt that didnt fit. I can get a 1HZ Bosch belt kit with 3 belts for $20. This is why I refuse to deal with the dealers here unless I have to. The 1HZ water pump is $150 delivered to my front door from the UAE and about $280 from the dealer here. And their list of crimes goes on.
Right now Im using a $90 Japanese (GMB?) made water pump on my 1HZ, Im hoping I have the troopy long enough to see how long it lasts compared to a Toyota pump which generally last 250000klms+. Its been on there for 10000klm and doing great

Gates are the other belt I have used and they were ok as well

I’m using Gates radiator hoses. They fit well and seem decent. Didn’t know they made belts too.

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for the info on the Gates brand products.
At the price difference between OEM belts and Bosch, etc equivilent, I'd rather carry New Bosch/Gates, etc brand spares in the Battle Cruiser, than old and used OEM belts, etc.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Hello,

Some 70 Series in select markets had Dayco belts. They were just as good as OEM stuff.

Has anyone tried Dayco?

Juan

Hello,

Some 70 Series in select markets had Dayco belts. They were just as good as OEM stuff.

Has anyone tried Dayco?

Juan

I was just going to mention DAYCO. I never had a problem with them, big seller here. I also use their timing belts.
s-l225.jpg

Another brand which makes belts for Toyota is Tru Power which is a Gates product. I'm not sure why they have separate brand name but they claim they can cope with a higher degree of pulley misalignment and can be turned around smaller diameter pulleys, basically a more flexible belt.
Same price as Gates, Dayco etc.

G'Day Fella's,

JuanJ and Rosco, thanks for that additional information (you can never have enough of it), very much appreciated.

Regards
Homer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom