BJ60 or FJ60 tranny/transfer case value

My tranny is on the way out.

I found a wrecked BJ60 ( same as FJ60 but diesel and sold in Canada in a junkyard in Wyoming. 1981 with 200k miles. They want $350 for the tranny and transfer case in good condition with no obvious damage.

Is this a good deal?

I figure that it they need work I should be able to get one set of tranny-tcase working for around $800 total invested with some shop time by using parts from both sets to get one good set.

Thoughts opinions?

Thanks

is it a 5 speed?

Sorry about that it is a 4 speed. The 1981 and 1982 BJ60's were all 4 speed until 1983 when Power steering and the 5 speed were standard.

Thanks

Website
www.autohomeus.com
Will the BJ diesel bolt up to an FJ? I think the input shafts and housing bolt patterns are different?

Mike S

I think I will just roll the dice on this deal. I want a diesel cruiser as my next cruiser so why not give it a shot. Worst case scenario I won't lose much cash.

Will the split case work with my 1973 era 4 speed?

Why I think it's shot ====The tranny growls as it goes down the road. I think it could be the t-case but it's tough to drive and diagnose the noise at the same time. I am jusrt wondering if the split case would work if my tranny is OK and the t-case is the POS?

Thanks for the help

The input shaft from the BJ60 will need to be changed to fit the gasser. I know, I just put a 3B in my FJ60.
Is the engine still in the truck? If so, why not take the whole thing if you want a diesel?
moT

Too bad!
That must have been a hell of a collision, better make sure that the trany/trans are OK before you pony up any sheckels!
moT

You bet I will be careful on that.

Will the split case work with my 4 speed tranny?(Made date 3/1973, 4 speed FJ40 tranny)

Website
www.autohomeus.com
If the split case will not fit your tranny, I am replacing the 4 speed in my 87 FJ 60 with an H55F 5 speed, and will have the original tranny for sale reasonable. It does fit a split TCase, which is the stock set-up for the '87 FJ60. PM me if interested.I am in Northern CA.

Mike S

Do you have a phone # for that yard in Montana with the wrecked BJ? I'd like to get a spare starter motor to keep in reserve.
moT

The starter motor is snapped in two from the collision. I was looking for it and found it still connected in pieces. Sorry, E-mail me direct for other parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom