BJ60 clutch exedy #16040 vs #16006 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just bought a new Exedy clutch for my BJ60, and noticed it doesn't look like the old one.

The Exedy website appears to say that this one will work for a BJ60, but it's a bit sparse and cryptic. I bought model #16040, but now it looks like the #16006 is the more common/standard one, even though the Exedy website seems to insinuate that it's for 6cyl, 4.2L engines...

Does anyone know what the difference is, functionally, between the #16040 and the #16006? Can any clutch gurus out there confirm that this one will work properly in my truck before I attempt to install it? It appears to be a bit more expensive so I'm hoping it's just a slightly more primo version?

Thanks

A link to show where you are looking would be handy.

I cant see a listing on their oz site for a BJ60 ,but I imagine a BJ7* clutch of the same year would be the most likely one to fit and it has the Exedy part number TYK6296

Which one have you bought ,the standard OEM replacement,Sportstuff or Safari?

How does the one you have,differ from the one you have bought?

Basically this is what the one I got looks like:

image.php

And this is what the stock one looks like:

oem_250.jpg

Do you think this is a problem? Haha

What year is the gearbox?
4sp or 5sp?
Are you buying the clutch disc only or a complete kit?

I found a clutch disc with the part 16040 but no 16006.

If a clutch disc has the same diameter,thickness and spline count,it should work(but no guarantees).
Sometimes they have different springs

What year is the gearbox?
4sp or 5sp?
Are you buying the clutch disc only or a complete kit?

5 speed, complete kit.

That's funny 16006 shows up a kit for me

FYI there are clutch rebuilding shops... dunno if there is one on the island but most probably in Van. 140$ got me a machined flywheel and rebuilt clutch.

Yeah I asked around about that in Victoria a bit and a few clutch/tranny shops laughed at me and said maybe 20 years ago haha

http://www.exedyusa.com/oe/16006

http://www.exedyusa.com/oe/16040

Found a way to link to the product pages

If the photos and specs on the links are right then neither is correct for your BJ60. Assuming Canadian spec BJ60, yours should have a diaphragm pressure plate and a disk with 21 splines, those both say 10T.

If the photos and specs on the links are right then neither is correct for your BJ60. Assuming Canadian spec BJ60, yours should have a diaphragm pressure plate and a disk with 21 splines, those both say 10T.

Well something's wrong on their website then, because it says "bj60" for both of them... damnit...

I dont think Toyota have a part number for a complete kit,you buy the disc,pressure plate and bearing as separate parts.
16040 is for disc only and 16006 doesnt show up anywhere.
The 10spline is for the HJ/FJ60.

They should refund you.
Doesnt one of the MUD vendors sell Exedy kits,Radd Cruisers maybe?

Huh it's definitely a complete kit... the mystery deepens...

Thanks guys

Hi there..

That Exedy website appears to be very mixed up with regard to landcruiser diesels.... (probably because the USA didn't get them).

Your'e right in that it does list 16006 and 16040 as kits for the 3B yet I believe BC40 is correct in that they both have the wrong spline count for the 3B. (10T instead of 21T)

(Well I know my B definitiely has a spline count of 21 anyway.)

Here's their dodgy information for all to see:

16006.jpg

16040.jpg

If it was me I think I'd prefer to deal with a supplier who knows what they're talking about and can offer correct advice.

And they're not alone. Looking at other suppliers in that part of the world I see similar errors.

:beer:
16006.jpg
16040.jpg

Yep, confirmed... this clutch has 11 teeth too few :(

This is not looking good for my Dec 26 departure for Guatemala...!

I dont know how someone could be so sloppy with the part numbers and details,especially a large company like that.
Exedy australia had some glaring deficiences as well but I think they may have been corrected.

They must get the tea lady to draw up their websites in her spare time

I'm actually kinda surprised I didn't come up with posts about this already? So far at least 3 of my top google searches for BJ60 clutch kits have come up with major dealers selling this kit exclusively for the BJ60, including Rockauto...

At least I don't feel like TOO much of an idiot, since I checked the manufacturer website and several places all sold the same part number for the same wrong application, confirmed it on the phone etc. I mean I could have checked the spline count on top of that but it's not something you really see before you've got the engine apart.

Dont worry ,we have all been victims of dodgy info from parts dealers at one time or another.
Can you get a refund on this kit?

Can anyone see a reason why a BJ70/73/74 clutch wouldnt work in the BJ60?

This is not looking good for my Dec 26 departure for Guatemala...!

Dont give in till the date has come and gone;)

Update on this: success!

I went back and forth with Exedy technical, trying to convince them that their listing was incorrect everywhere. From the Toyota part # the Exedy tech guys gave me the part number for this other kit, p/n KTY07.

I googled the kit and it showed up almost no results, but there was one online retailer carrying it. I phoned them about it, and while the sales person sounded very knowledgeable about their stock and was on a first name basis with their Exedy contacts, they had no idea what the kit was for or any of its specs, and were surprised to see it in their catalog and that I was asking about it. Going on blind faith from the Exedy guys I ordered it. I was pretty sketchy about it, because the listing didn't have any details (ie spline count). I was also sketchy about it because it was only $103, compared with ~$500+ for any BJ60 clutch kit I had been able to find locally or really anywhere I myself have looked!

The kit arrived, dusty, box almost disintegrating, had clearly been sitting in a warehouse forever (probably because Exedy has had their listing wrong??). The kit itself looked great though, and it fit perfectly, I installed it and my old 60 is driving around like new again (clutch-wise, at least). It seemed to me to be a little lighter (in weight) than the old clutch disk, and the TO bearing did not come on a new hub (a local tranny shop swapped the hub over and didn't ask for any money :cool:)

The fact that Exedy is supposedly the company that made the stock BJ60 clutch, and that this is the kit that matches the original Toyota part number in their computer makes me feel okay with putting a clutch in my cruiser I only paid $100 for.

If anyone wants one of these, call Tali at "Auto Parts Sales" in Denver Colorado at 877 250 9672. I couldn't find their website again despite my best googling.

I also talked to the guys at Radd Cruisers on Vancouver Island about this, and they were helpful in helping me to confirm that it was in fact the correct kit. These guys have been super helpful to me and I think the only thing I've ever even bought from them was the friggin rear main seal. They said they're looking at selling this kit themselves so I suggest asking them for it if you're on the West Coast (shipping, duties, importation fees doubled the price for me, way better off buying local).

I should also plug Bullfrog Transmission in Victoria, for any islanders out there. I phoned around the whole city about swapping over that stupid TO bearing hub, and several different machine shops said they weren't sure if they could do it or when. The guys at Bullfrog were like "oh yeah we do those all the time, it'll take 5 minutes" and then they didn't charge me. In other words they clearly know what they're doing and are nice guys.

...now all I have to do is pull my engine again to attach those little clips that stop the clutch fork slipping off the TO bearing hub... :doh::doh::doh:

Last edited:
congrates on your success! Need a hj60 clutch kit

I'm having the same issue only with a 2h HJ60 clutch kit to mate with an H55 (10T). Exedy USA seach comes up with the 16006 pn but the engine is labelled on their site as 4.2 L diesel (2h is 4.0L). fj60 and many others lc models as shown above in this thread point to using the 16006. However, other number I come up with from Australian, and European ebay lisings is the Exedy TYK 2025 which seems to me to be more accurately labeled as they at least understand an HJ60 has a 6 cyl 4.0L diesel engine. It would be nice to know if these two SKUs are the same or in fact, are different. I will call Tali tomorrow to see if they might have a better undstanding and moreover the proper kit for my rig and report back what I hear to the BB.

I think you will have better luck emailing Exedy technical direct. Tali was great but did not know what the kit was even for as it did not have much of a description in their system.

I don't think they are the same kits. I think the one I ended up with was somewhat lighter than the original, actually. But it was cheap.

Hijack.....

Josh-o.... where you at these days? Down south somewhere? Sorry I missed you before you left life has been busy. grunt.

Cam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom