BJ60 blinkers trip EDIC when hot, shutting engine down. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1985 bj60, with a 3b, 5 speed, canadian 12v. It was a body off restore about 12 years ago.

When it gets hot out, and the truck has been running for a bit, when I use either of my blinkers, it will trip the EDIC momentarily and then the motor will stumble and then catch again, rarely die.
Ive limited it to the rear blinkers, if I unplug them it will just do the front blinkers and not trip at all ever. It doesn't matter which side in the rear, they both will trip it though. I thought maybe it was the rear wiper, or defrost, but I can unplug those and no change.

Its not %100 of the time, but almost every time now. Its worse with the truck in reverse for some reason and definitely if hot outside.

Ive been through the rear wiring taking it all apart, repaired old joined wires, new ground behind the tailgate, installed a new flasher relay, looked for corrosion where the plugs connect, even had the switch in the steering column partially dissembled. I followed the wire bundle up under the dash, to the fuse box and relays, all appears ok and intact. Also new grounds for the batteries as well.

It doesn't do it with the emergency flashers.
Its very frustrating as I can barely drive it unless I use hand signals.

Any help would be really great, I don't really know anything about electrical, so not sure where to go next.

Its usually an earth issue that causes this.. a poor main body earth, or a main engine earth. Consider adding a new engine and body earth - if it solves the issue you can make it permanent or work to resolve your current earth points so they are up to scratch. In the meantime you can always pop the EDIC rod off and drive the vehicle - you'll just have to stall it when you want to stop the engine.

Hey there, I’m bringing this thread up again. I unfortunately cannot remember what I did to fix this 3 years ago.
unfortunately, it is happening again, when the engine is warmed up and when it’s hot out, and if I use the blinkers, it’ll shut the engine down, sometimes it’s just a blip in rpm’s but it will also just kill the engine.
I can unhook both of tail lights, and this will still happen. I have gone through the grounds again as well.
It is significantly worse when I have the fan and lights on.

I had wondered if it was my alternator, failing, as it would read quite low on the voltage meter with everything turned on,but was still charging batteries well. I replaced the alternator yesterday with an old used one I had. while my voltage stays closer to 12, it was still shut the engine off with the blinkers.

And after installing the alternator, my EDIC will no longer work when I turn the key off. I have been through the EDIC in the last several months, replacing the motor and relay, trying to find some other starting issues I’ve had.

As of now, the blinkers still shut the engine down when hot, and I can no longer shut the engine off with the key after replacing the alternator.
Any help would be appreciated!

After hours of troubleshooting, going through wire looms, fixing frayed wires, making new grounds, etc I found it was this relay. when it would heat up (it’s been around 100 degrees here) and the engine was warmed up, if I had the fan, lights etc on it would make this relay trip. Got so bad I couldn’t drive with any electronics on.
I found it on accident actually, just starting looking and bumped it.
but surprisingly I found a replacement at autozone for $20. Swapped them out and now my shut down problems are gone.
hope this helps someone

IMG_9620.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom