1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BJ42LX Horn stopped working

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by stardotstar, Mar 5, 2007.

1. stardotstar

stardotstar

This morning the horn wouldn't sound when I went to pip the kids...

It has worked fine since I got it and just now none of the 3 buttons work at all.

I checked the horn fuse - not blown; I took the horn sounder mounted in front of the battery out and checked the terminals and tested it on a 12V transformer - it sounded (quite loudly actually :doh:) so I am not sure how to begin further diagnosis.

I assume since it is not one button it is in the wiring and not sure if the horn should sound when the key is out (never tried it)

How do I sus this out - use a multimeter on the wires etc??

2. theBk

theBk

since its all 3 buttons i would say that its not the buttons themselves but maybe the connection under the cover...you can try putting some power to the ring that runs under the buttons and see if that works. if it doesnt then try putting power to the first horn in the circuit and see if that goes.

3. pbgbottle

pbgbottle Forum Lifer

Media:
    Albums:
    might be the horn relay ,could check the terminals at the relay to see if it is getting juice when the horn buttons are pushed

4. stardotstar

stardotstar

location of said relay pbg?

power to first horn works

5. pbgbottle

pbgbottle Forum Lifer

Media:
    Albums:
    not to sure ,mine is on the fender . but looking through the parts catalogue it doesn't list a relay for the horn after 1980 . :doh: