BJ42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just recived my 82 BJ42 and am unable to start it. Not sure if this should be in the diesel thread or in here, move if nesscarily. It has been sitting for a few months but when they loaded it yesterday it ran for them. But the driver today was unable to start it to get it off the truck and we had to push it. The driver just put 2 gallons of fuel in it so it has a little fuel in the tank. I checked the battery i get a reading of 12.47. The noise it makes is rapid clicking sound. Wondering what couyld be the problem or what I should do first to get it to start. Thanks

12 or 24 volts?

Sounds like the common problem of having people trying to start your cruiser who have been unfamiliar/ignorant of how to start such a diesel. As a result, I suspect they have run your battery (or batteries - plural) flat.

The rapid relay-clicking noise is typical for a flat battery.

They probably just kept cranking and cranking without realising that they needed to glow it first.

:cheers:

PS. While 12.47V sounds OK for a 12V system - you need to see what it falls to during cranking to know for sure whether or not your batteries have been drained too far.

A 1982 should be "manual-glow". So you turn the key backwards and hold it there for about 20 seconds till you see the indicator/controller on the dash start glowing. When this occurs (and not before), you turn the key full-forward (clockwise) to engage the starter. As soon as it fires (no need to touch the accelerator pedal), you release the key and it will automatically spring back to the "motor-run" position. And then you're in business!

PPS. Check they put diesel and not petrol in it. ---- There seems to be no boundaries to how ignorant people who transport motor vehicles can be! Good luck.

And if they flattened the batteries, they'll probably now need to use jumper leads for both glowing and cranking.

Last edited:
Yes definetly battery issue, jumped it from my tacoma and she started right up letting her sit a little while to charge the battery back up thanks for your help.

Hi All:

"Gex2113," congrats on the "new" BJ42! :cheers:

Post up some pics for us! :D

Regards,

Alan

1982 bj42 is not mannual glow if it is CDN or JDM,turn your key to the point before it cranks, your glow light should be orange wait till you hear a click from the glow relay then its ready to crank should only be 5-10 seconds unless it is extrmelly cold.

1982 bj42 is not mannual glow if it is CDN or JDM,turn your key to the point before it cranks, your glow light should be orange wait till you hear a click from the glow relay then its ready to crank should only be 5-10 seconds unless it is extrmelly cold.

Ah well. Australian/NZ market didn't get that till 1983 (as far as I know) so it's anybody's guess till we know the cruiser's origins
...................or BETTER STILL

.............till we see photos :D:hillbilly::flamingo::banana::meh:

it is from AUS, he is a buddy of mine in which he just got it the other day, it is an LX model like mine but his is an 1982. You guys are hooking him up with all the right answers for his glow system is diff than my 83, I do not have the wire filament thingy for some reason? I told him to post pics soon, so lets have them Carlito

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom