BJ40 alternator voltage regulator problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

I have a number of BJ's which I have in varying degrees of build, one of my BJ's a 3.0 diesel which I have been building for a while has had me stumped for the past 5 months.
To cut a long story short I have a 3 wire 24 volt voltage regulator (part number: 27706-56012) which has stopped working I looked everywhere and could not find a 3 wire 24v reg (literally looked at the entire world!) the ones I did find are advertised on the net but are not in stock hence waiting for months to arrive but nothing.

I have found a similar regulator but I think it is for a generator (my car is a 1977 with an alternator) it has the terminals (F), (E) and (K), I have no idea if this particular regulator will work on my truck.

What I wanted to ask was if anybody on here has any idea if it is possible to fit this new regulator to my truck or how i can replace the wound resistors on my old one???????

I do apologise for being so rude i.e. joining up just to ask but I have been resolving most of the issues i encounter with my trucks by looking through this site.

I've attached some pics below.

20161113_111822[1].jpg

20161113_111915[1].jpg

20161113_112641[1].jpg

20161113_112656[1].jpg

20161112_125213[1].jpg

That resistor is 10 ohm on a 12V VR. So my guess is around 40 ohm on a 24V VR.
Can you check the ohm value on the AVR556?
The ohm value takes care of the trickle charging so it's not critical.
See here: Voltage Regulator (ext.) / How it works

EDIT: I just had a better look at your pictures and see two resistors. Is that correct?
Is one a dropper resistor to make a basically 12v VR into a 24v VR?

Rudi

Last edited:
Hey there Rudi!

I know from my time creeping around this site for the past year that your The Man when it comes to electricals!!!!!!

My electronics understanding is not brilliant so please bare with me. Yes there are two resistors and I will get a measurement for the ohms; but I have no idea what it does.

In regards to the amazon regulators, I have ordered both and Amazon keeps on extending the delivery time; I did ask why as it's been nearly 6 months and was told that they (amazon) don't actually have the items in stock and will send them when/if they ever become available!!

Would it be possible to use the new avr reg that I have bought? And where should I wire the terminals to?

Thank you for your help!

A pic of the resistors on the old vr, the smaller (in physical size) has two ohm readings 150 on one side and 100 ohms on the other.

The larger one has just 60 ohms.

20160818_162431.jpg

hi , are you sure that the vr doesn't work ? or better the alternator is ok ?

You can wire the alternator directly to know if it charge

can you try a bench test ? ( take a look on the very good topic linked bj bj40green)

you Always raplace the resistor if yours is burned...

Repairing the "old" VR:
There are only 3 active components in the VR. The coil, the 60 ohm resistor and the dual 100 + 150 ohm resistor.
The coil. is it a 2, 3 or 4 wire coil? Doesn't matter for the following test. Take your multi meter and check the resistance of all the coil sections. If you add them all up it should be somewhere around 40 ohms. if one of the sections doesn't give you a reading, it's defective.
The 60 ohm resistor. Same story. Check the resistance with your meter. No reading is defective.
The dual resistor. Total resistance should be 250 ohm. if not..... defective.
The resistors can be replaced but it will take some effort to find one that fits.

The "new" AVR 556 regulator:
It was used in Toyota DA (Daihatsu?) trucks for many years.
Can you give me a picture from the other side and tell me what the terminals are stamped?

Rudi

hi , are you sure that the vr doesn't work ? or better the alternator is ok ?

You can wire the alternator directly to know if it charge

can you try a bench test ? ( take a look on the very good topic linked bj bj40green)

you Always raplace the resistor if yours is burned...

Hey, yes I've tested it on other cruisers and it had the same affect. the alternator is charging fine. thank you!

Repairing the "old" VR:
There are only 3 active components in the VR. The coil, the 60 ohm resistor and the dual 100 + 150 ohm resistor.
The coil. is it a 2, 3 or 4 wire coil? Doesn't matter for the following test. Take your multi meter and check the resistance of all the coil sections. If you add them all up it should be somewhere around 40 ohms. if one of the sections doesn't give you a reading, it's defective.
The 60 ohm resistor. Same story. Check the resistance with your meter. No reading is defective.
The dual resistor. Total resistance should be 250 ohm. if not..... defective.
The resistors can be replaced but it will take some effort to find one that fits.

The "new" AVR 556 regulator:
It was used in Toyota DA (Daihatsu?) trucks for many years.
Can you give me a picture from the other side and tell me what the terminals are stamped?

Rudi
Hey Rudi

I'll test the old vr once I get home. The new vr has three terminals with the letters F, E and K.
I assume the F is field and the E is earth but have no idea what the K terminal is.

20161115_181223.jpg

20161115_181214.jpg

The new vr is for a Toyota DA series truck which had the B series engine. I'm pretty certain they had a generator rather than an alternator that my truck has.

Okay, alternator or generator is a different technology. Generators is from the 50's and 60's so let's forget the AVR556 .

Back to your original VR. Can you give me the Nippon Denso number? It starts with 026000-xxxx
Some parts vendors are also selling OEM Nippon Denso parts.

I think I messed up in my previous posting the resistor values from the AVR556 with the unknown values from the old one.
Please check both resistors and the coil/core and post them here.

I found this lookalike in the New Era Catalog
AVR575 24V 3pin.jpg

Voltage is 24V, connector and pin config is correct, now you have to find him.

Rudi

Okay, alternator or generator is a different technology. Generators is from the 50's and 60's so let's forget the AVR556 .

Back to your original VR. Can you give me the Nippon Denso number? It starts with 026000-xxxx
Some parts vendors are also selling OEM Nippon Denso parts.

I think I messed up in my previous posting the resistor values from the AVR556 with the unknown values from the old one.
Please check both resistors and the coil/core and post them here.

I found this lookalike in the New Era Catalog
View attachment 1352138

Voltage is 24V, connector and pin config is correct, now you have to find him.

Rudi
Oh no!!!! are you saying there is no way I can some how use the new VR on my truck? I just paid £50 for it doh! :(

I don't say that you can't use it. I say that I have no idea how it works. It's a VR for a generator that you're going to use on an alternator.
I've no idea where K stands for. Maybe KEY? It's not in this list and I've never heard of it, but I'm not Mr. know it all.

Terminals.jpg

So you have E, F and K and you need E, F and IGN. Hook it up and see what happens.
Worst case scenario is that you blow a fuse or a fusible link.

Rudi

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom