New Voltage regulator, still gettin max 11v new alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ok, back at it. gonna change the brushes in the alternator. called toyota adn the guy said he thinks I need two? every video Iwatched of people changing brushes only had one. are two needed or one? @charliemeyer007

It was in 1986 that I did the alternator/starter/distributor with dad's help before I went across the state to go college. IIRC there were 2 brushes. As a side note that alternator and starter still works and hasn't been touched since. Back about 2005 I did work over the dizzy again - it needs done again this coming spring - I'll be making a new bushing to take out the "slop".

Hi Everyone, did the regular searchin around, found the voltage regulator thread. couldnt find my answer and no one responded when I posted in that tthread so Ill try here.

82 hj47 troopy

previously had adjusted my "tab" in the VR with sucsess to acheive 14.2 at 2000rpm. over about a2 months it dipped back to hitting 12.9 max if I dont have wipers or heated seat or fan going. tried adjusting more, an now adjustments of the "tab" in the VR doesnt d oanything. the tab was bent waay out lool. so bought a brand new VR threw it in un adjiusted and had the same 11.9 max while driving. tried adjusting its "tab" and it also made no difference. Is this a sign of the alt going bad? I thought they just stopped working. this one is working just not very well.

any insight would be amazing.

thanks

PHOTOS here are essential

a OEM Denso / NipponDenso Regulator is factory pre-set and the screw had a jb-weld type set up on it tamper anti stuff ...

you have a oem DENSO part # on the 12V HJ47 alternator by chance ?

i went with general; countries 12V LHD

27020ALTERNATOR ASSY
27020-6801012V 40A (08/1980 - 03/1982)1\
27020-6801112V 40A (04/1982 - 09/1982)1
27020-6810012V 40A, 12V 40A

27700-15011 12V regulator

now its this :

PHOTOS here are essential

a OEM Denso / NipponDenso Regulator is factory pre-set and the screw had a jb-weld type set up on it tamper anti stuff ...

you have a oem DENSO part # on the 12V HJ47 alternator by chance ?

i went with general; countries 12V LHD

27020ALTERNATOR ASSY
27020-6801012V 40A (08/1980 - 03/1982)1\
27020-6801112V 40A (04/1982 - 09/1982)1
27020-6810012V 40A, 12V 40A

27700-15011 12V regulator

now its this :
I can take a pic of the inside of the regulator today but the model number is Toyota 27700-15040 it had the red blob over one of the screws. that said i got a multi meter on the alt last night and it is only putting out 12.5v at idle and 12.75 at 2000 rpm. so Im thinking its the brushes. I got one on the way from toyota but they only had one so I gotta find another.

no Idea. never built an electric motor. thats why I asked
re looking at videos of people replacing brushes on a gas 80 series, and unless the diesel alt is fundamentally different, dude pulls one single brush assembly out of it and puts one single part back in. so people are either being annoying and saying I need 2 brushes cause technically there are two brushes inside the single assembly. or diesel alternators are different and no one on youtube has replaced brushes in a diesel alt? can someone clear this up? @peesalot ?

FWIW I just googled " FJ80 alt brush replacement " and everything I see has 2 brushes at the back of alt, they are inline not on opposite sides of shaft. Same for GM, post a link to what you are seeing that indicates 1 brush.

FWIW I just googled " FJ80 alt brush replacement " and everything I see has 2 brushes at the back of alt, they are inline not on opposite sides of shaft. Same for GM, post a link to what you are seeing that indicates 1 brush.
Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 8.08.05 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 9.31.09 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 9.31.16 AM.png

he takes one part out, and puts one part in? now that part may have multiple parts in it. is that maybe the holder? and you can either buy the brushes themselves or you can buy a new holder with two brushes init already? I can see holders as a tpoyota part that have brushes in them in the pictures, and I see isolated brushes for sale. I guess I need to call toyota back an see if they got me a single isolated brush a or a holder with two brushes in it?

in both pics you can see the both brushes, you can also see the difference between the worn brushes & new ones.
So yes, 1 part that contains 2 brushes. That part that is replaceable containing both new brushes is not alwats the case, good for toyota as some manufactures you have to put new brushes in the old plastic housing, the swapable piece is cool & easy.
Also that pic is good cause it shows some wear on the brush surface on shaft that will eat new brushes so vaery carefully clean/polish where the brushes contact shaft, sometimes the surface on shaft is too far gone and new brushes will be short lived.

in both pics you can see the both brushes, you can also see the difference between the worn brushes & new ones.
So yes, 1 part that contains 2 brushes. That part that is replaceable containing both new brushes is not alwats the case, good for toyota as some manufactures you have to put new brushes in the old plastic housing, the swapable piece is cool & easy.
Also that pic is good cause it shows some wear on the brush surface on shaft that will eat new brushes so vaery carefully clean/polish where the brushes contact shaft, sometimes the surface on shaft is too far gone and new brushes will be short lived.
ahhhhh ok, that makes much more sense. anyone know if the brush holder looks the same on a diesel cruiser alt? how come its so hard to find a brush replacement instruction for the diesel alts?

ahhhhh ok, that makes much more sense. anyone know if the brush holder looks the same on a diesel cruiser alt? how come its so hard to find a brush replacement instruction for the diesel alts?
update, I called Toyota and they got a holder with brushes in it for me, so Ill swap those out, but would still love to be pointed towards any info or instruction on replacing the brushes on a diesel alt. Unless they're all the same and the diesels just have a bolted on pump, and once you remove it its the same procedure?

Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters or OGbeno ( Onur) for that answer. Kurt's site is Cruiserteq, go on there and enter the gas vehicle vs. the deisel and see if it is a diff part #

Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters or OGbeno ( Onur) for that answer. Kurt's site is Cruiserteq, go on there and enter the gas vehicle vs. the deisel and see if it is a diff part #
Bought lots a good stuff from cruiserteq, my preferred spot. the Alt is definitely a different alt, as an assembly. just wondering if the assembly is a normal alt with a pump bolted to the back.

Bought lots a good stuff from cruiserteq, my preferred spot. the Alt is definitely a different alt, as an assembly. just wondering if the assembly is a normal alt with a pump bolted to the back.

that alternator in your tech photo is a HIGH Amps internal regulator unit ?

the 15040 regulator is for a remote regulator alternator ?

you have parts mix ups here ??

that alternator in your tech photo is a HIGH Amps internal regulator unit ?

the 15040 regulator is for a remote regulator alternator ?

you have parts mix ups here ??
you referring to the screen shots of the alt brush replace video? thats an alt from a 80 series gass'r I believe. not mine. cant find a video of anyone replacing brushes on a diesel cruiser. thats all I had as an example. alt in the troopy is the OG and has a brand new external regulator bolted to the fire wall. lol. apparently didn't need it as brushes are likely myproblem but whatever. now Im starting new :)

so tried changing the brush holder today and the part i got (27373-57121) is not the same as the brush holder I pulled out of it. I cant seem to find any corresponding 2h alternator brush holder? anyone able to Identify this brush holder?

IMG_4905.JPG

IMG_4906.JPG

IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4908.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom