BJ Starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

starter gear number

The drive part number is WAI 54-82211 9 tooth drive

IT will work on the 3B starter then you can put it in a B diesel. It is a 9 tooth.

The starter I got was from Dixie rebuilders.S-8113 back in 08, This is a 11 tooth drive starter the 9 tooth drive will swap right over.

Last edited:
Lostmarbles:

Now that I see the starter in your forwarded photo, it "is" the starter that I presently have (12 volt model). Let me see what I can come up with for the 12 volt 3b starter (Any suggestions as to where/how to search would be much appreciated.) The "Nosecone" you mention is the "drive gear" - correct?

Moneypit:
Thank you for your response and for your help. Let me see what I can dig up on this end.

Walt Banta

Moneypit:
...another question. With regards to the 3b starter your referenced, was there any problem with mounting it to the bell housing? I ask because, if I remember correctly, I have two studs/nuts that secure the starter. In looking at the 3b photo, it appears like the upper-most fastener is a bolt that comes through a hole in the bell housing and threads into the starter. Is this correct, or have I looked at a "wrong photograph"? My car is 150 miles away, so I cannot simply go out and have a look at what I have to confirm my memory.

Walt Banta
wbanta@lausd.net

.....The "Nosecone" you mention is the "drive gear" - correct?

More than just the drive cog though Walt. I've outlined in red what we refer to as the "nose cone" here:

Starter03.jpg

And you're right. The lower hole is threaded on the 3B starter pictured here so a bell-housing stud passes through the upper one and a bolt is screwed into the lower one:

Starter05.jpg

:beer:
Starter03.jpg
Starter05.jpg

Easy fix! Pull the lower stud take a drill bit (I can't remember the size) drill the bellhousing threads out get a bolt the proper size and lenght and lockwasher after you put the starter in put the nut on the top stud then take your new bolt and lock washer and thread it into the starter. DONE. Of course there alway little things to do.

On changing the gear drive,pull the nose cone pull out the 11 tooth drive drop in the 9 tooth drive reinstall the nose cone. easy!

Moneypit,
I sure do appreciate your input. I think I finally have everything it takes (almost) to put this package
together.
1. Locate the starter by the numbers you provided (I have a shop here that says they can order one
for $300.)
2. Order the drive gear by the number you provided (The same shop says this will be part of the deal,
if I understand correctly.)
3. Take off the "nosecone"; remove the original 11 tooth gear; substitute the 9 tooth gear (Kubota
Tractor)
4. Remove the original mounting "stud" - drill out the hole to the appropriate size - fit the appropriate
bolt/lock washer(length, diameter, thread pitch) through the new hole - secure with the original top
bolt, etc. and the new lower bolt - starter is now installed/secured.
5. Refit the necessary wiring (i.e. - battery cable and solenoid wire)

If all of the above makes the right kind of sense to you, I expect to order the starter/new gear tomorrow or at the first of the work week.

Let me just double check. The aforementioned starter (i.e. - the one referenced in your part numbers) will bolt right on. One "will not" need to change the "nosecone" - correct? One simply removes the nosecone, as it comes supplied on the starter, and fits the new, 9 tooth gear - in place of the 11 tooth gear that comes supplied with the starter - correct? I ask because once ordered, the deal is done; there is no exchange or refund.

Lastly, do I need to be careful of any particular "brands" of starters? I did not ask the local shop fellow what "brand" of starter he might order for me, so I just need to be certain that I don't end up with junk.

Walt Banta
wbanta@lausd.net

Lostmarbles:
I do appreciate your help and the photos. If I understood Moneypit correctly, the starter that he referenced by number would retain its original "nosecone," and one would simply need to remove the nosecone to replace the 11 tooth drive gear with the new, 9 tooth drive gear. Do I understand correctly, or did I miss something? I'm sure my vernacular is a bit "off" when speaking of the parts/components. I just hope that I have a clear picture of the swap. I would like to order the starter tomorrow or Monday at the latest, and once ordered, the deal is done - no exchanges or refunds (I have a fellow/shop in Downtown Los Angeles that has offered to order the parts for approximately $300.00, which sounds all right given the cost of rebuilding the old direct drive starter.). I asked for the starter by the part numbers Moneypit listed and the same for the drive gear. If I must change the "nosecone," this could alter the deal/cost.

Lastly, I did not inquire about what "brand" the fellow/shop might order for me. Would there be any "brand" or "source" that I should watch out for? I don't need junk.

Walt Banta
wbanta@lausd.net

...If I understood Moneypit correctly, the starter that he referenced by number would retain its original "nosecone," and one would simply need to remove the nosecone to replace the 11 tooth drive gear with the new, 9 tooth drive gear. Do I understand correctly, ...

Well that is my understanding of what he said too Walt. (But having never worked on a B-engine that has a direct-drive starter, I have no first-hand knowledge.)

Nose-cone swaps were mentioned simply because people often buy second-hand starters (and sometimes they find the motor/solenoid part is in poor condition). You certainly don't need to worry about this if you're buying a new 3B starter.

I did not inquire about what "brand" the fellow/shop might order for me. Would there be any "brand" or "source" that I should watch out for? I don't need junk.....

I'm not aware of any brands to avoid. All the non-OEM starters (for landcruisers) I've seen appear to be made to high standards.

:beer:

As far as I know the starter will come with the proper nose cone, mine did. As far as swaping the drive gear if they are doing it for you great! and that is a fair price for the starter/gear. Are they going to charge you for a core? Could be expensive for a core,be sure to ask them.

My swap has worked fine for quite some time. Be sure to hold on to the numbers of the drive gear/and starter in case you need to replace the drive in the future.Keep a book of what you did.

Anyway glad I could help that is what this site is about.

Lostmarbles:
Thank you for confirming my understanding and for your input on the suitability of various "brands" to Land Cruiser application.

In checking the response I received from the supplier in Los Angeles, he "did" reference the new starter as a "denso," which reassures me that it is probably not of Chinese origin ("Chinese" might be of questionable durability and quality.). However, given the way the "Global Marketplace" functions, my assumptions about origin may not be well founded. We'll see.

With your response, I think I am sufficiently confident to go ahead and order the starter/drive gear. Thanks again for your input, your suggestions, and your help. Being a "rookie" with Land Cruisers, I was starting without any knowledge, but now I am much better off.

Walt Banta
wbanta@lausd.net

This thread has been quite helpful in my own pursuit of parts. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom