Builds BJ-43 restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, but still no answer to my question. Why you are welding the side panels = hardtop walls to the tub?
View attachment 2300298
Ahhh, got it. Initially, I had -- rather naively -- hoped to just bolt a complete roof on, but there were very, very few factory 43 hard tops manufactured, and I still have never found one here. Looked for the right size Bandeirante tops in neighboring Brazil, but they're scarce there, too. Did find a couple of aftermarket, used fiberglass tops in Colombia and USA, but cost was just too high to get one to Paraguay. Decided, in the end, to ask the body guy to fabricate an extended metal one from a 40 hardtop and extra parts as the FJ Company does...he ended up using the best available bits from multiple 40 hard tops (and one from a wrecked Bandeirante) due to all the rust, damage, etc. as well as adding some new metal.
Body guy first planned to make it removable...factory style...but was struggling a bit to match up the top part of the tub (no longer stock due to PO's "repairs" and mods) and the bottom rail/frame (i.e. the most badly corroded part of used roofs) of the fabricated hard top so they could bolt together nicely.
After some pondering how I plan to use the truck...as all-season, all-conditions utility transport at our hilly rural retirement home in northern New England...I arrived at the honest assessment that I really don't want/won't want to take the top on and off, ever. So, I suggested the body guy simplify his task immensely, and ensure a perfect fit, by permanently mounting the hard top, instead. I like reliable simplicity and am willing to "mod" rather than "resto", when it seems easier or more practical to do so. This truck is a poor candidate for a museum, I'm afraid, and I'm not flipping it for resale. I hope to use it to haul dogs, grandkids, groceries, canoes, tents, chainsaws, etc. up and down the hills, in all weather, for many years to come. For that, a permanently fixed roof is fine, maybe even better.
Long reply, and slightly philosophical at the end, sorry!

Why is your body man cleaning everything to the bare metal and then letting it rust up again for many days ? Why he is not treating and covering up with primer or whatever.

If you do it like that you have to keep cleaning up and everytime you will have a thinner sheet metal.
BTW really nice FJ43 and interesting build thread! Good luck!

Making progress...hood, front fenders and apron are primed.

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG

...and found a problem that both mechanic and I are shaking our heads about...can't believe neither of us saw this until it came time to weld them together...but our various donor roofs have different patterns of ridges on top. Turns out the rear section (far end in pic) and front section (near, not yet welded in) are from a Bandeirante, and have 5 ridges...while the middle section comes from a wrecked FJ40, and has 6 ridges! Or maybe it's the other way around? Plus turns out the donor center section of the roof was, itself, a repair job and wasn't actually centered correctly before it was welded in by PO. Upshot is, while it wouldn't be apparent from the interior, we do have what the Brits call "a bit of a dog's dinner" on the top of the roof. Unsightly, for sure. Mechanic is talking to the body guy about our options...sigh.

IMG_1681.JPG

...and some more progress.
IMG_1963.JPG
PHOTO-2020-07-05-11-48-16.jpg
IMG_1966.JPG
Renovation/fabrication of rear door almost finished...just waiting for lock cylinder and some parts for rear license plate assembly to arrive in the mail. Roll bar fabrication is also under way. Front 40/60 bench seats and rear jump seats go to the upholsterer next week, and glass guy will cut new rear quarter windows. Making steady progress!

I still can’t believe you welded the hardtop sides permanently, sorry. The upper side mounting flange is not so complicated form to get it done of straight sheetmetal.

Strange hinges for the rear doors too.

Last edited:
normaly the hardtop sides are fixed with a lot of bolts dia= 6
and also two special seal for each side
if you weld , it will be impossible to stop the rust at this point

Rear door finished...fabricated, glazed, mounted!
IMG_1965.JPG
IMG_2035.JPG
IMG_2036.JPG
IMG_2038.JPG
IMG_2039.JPG

...lacks only weatherstripping and a little adjusting. Took a long time, including several starts, stops, and starts again.

Front seat upholstery finished...not mounted, yet, but I think it looks pretty good sitting in place!

IMG_2032.JPG
IMG_2034.JPG

...and rear seats upholstered (tho' not yet bolted in, pending seatbelt installation).

IMG_2496.JPG

Some work on dashboard controls and gauge cluster...

PHOTO-2020-07-30-14-26-17.jpg
PHOTO-2020-08-10-12-48-32.jpg
IMG_2497.JPG

Last edited:
Windshield washer kit installed...tubing needs to be re-routed and attached for cleaner appearance, but it works great!
1da102ec-4fdf-465a-8b91-0d57fc048b9d.JPG
81188657-6114-4a80-9de1-0de651dd3bc3.JPG

Have applied "Protex" (actually Maxi Rubber) insulating primer/undercoat in the bed area...will get a coat of 6H9 paint shortly.

PHOTO-2020-08-20-10-48-45.jpg
PHOTO-2020-08-20-10-48-45.jpg

Shackle mounts welded on and front bumper repaired, sprayed with "Protex" and painted.

PHOTO-2020-08-20-10-50-11.jpg
PHOTO-2020-08-20-10-50-11.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom