Birfield repack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know the front axle service on an 80 should be performed at around 60,000 miles. Is there any need to repack the birfield more often than this?

As many may recall, I have a Patrol - The Gregory's manual (OZ equivalent of a Haynes) suggests changing the grease in the CV joint every 20,000 miles. This got me wondering whether this is is the norm, in which case why does an 80 manage 60,000 between services. Or, is the Patrol a special case. Or, should I ignore the advice and repack at a more sensible interval?

My only other experience of repacking the CV/Birfield was with a Landrover and that was constantly leaking and consequently the grease was in a constant state of change. I'd be interested in any thoughts - or info on grease change intervals of other vehicles anyone has owned.

I've tried to get some advice on this from various Patrol groups and have had no replies. It just goes to show what a generous and knowlegeable lot 80 owners are. So I'm back - posting in the 80s section (I've tried to make it relate to 80s not just my particular interest)

Cheers

You will have noticed the first time you did your ni$$an hubs, from the factory was maybe a finger full of grease at best, and when left longer than 50,000km it becomes dry, almost like dust, or mud, use proper grease, and good seals, and 50,000km should be plenty.

[I too had a ni$$an...only one, that was enough......]

best thing you can do will be pull them down and add some decent grease, the factory add the bare minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom