Bilstein 6112 Dilemma on GX470...not as low cost as I thought (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bigger shock body holds more fluid and prevents shock fade in washboard situations like desert racing.

I don’t do that, so don’t need racing shocks, but I do like the fronts to be between 2.2” to 2.6”

The 8112s front kit you mentioned is pricey like $1850 for the pair/kit per-assembled with coils and a hat.

The dobinson ims in 2.2” can be purchased individually (just shocks, just coils) or pre- assembled as a kit with hats. So, if the shock fails, you buy the shock rather than be forced to buy a kit like Bilstein 6112s.

Dobinson front kit is like $500 for pair of shocks, $220 for pair of coils, and $100 for pair of hats. Maybe $820 for the kit/pair preassembed.

2.8” shock, either 2.5 or 3” front lift. For 920 shipped, prebuilt. Dang, I may go that route in the future?
This is top end and seems to be more expensive than 2.5” kings

I have the Ironman FCP kit and have been very happy with it. Rides and handles great with plenty of articulation. They are heavy, beefy shocks and have been great on lots of different surfaces. Since they arent pressurized they should be less prone to blowing out and can be rebuilt as a diy.

Last edited:
Another option for mid level is the Ironman pro cell foam’s. They are definitely beefy. Unless you have a bumper I would always go with the softer spring for comfort. My friend bought them For His sequioa and his biggest complaint is his lack of droop, which the gx has tons of, so maybe not an issue?
I put Ironman foam cells on my 2020 Tacoma, love them. I did have to pull a rear leaf to smooth out the ride

I've been a big supporter of the 6112s as a great value option for the GX470. It's a 60mm body (equal to 2.6" diameter body) to hold more fluid. Also, it's a stronger shock (thicker rod) all around compared to the 5100. You don't have to rebuild the shock because you can't, so it will last the lifetime of the shock. Yada yada.

Well, it's time to pay the piper. I've had these for 42K miles and the previous owner had it for a year or so, so let's say another 12K miles. So, these 6112s have between 50K and 60K miles. And i've taken them offroad many times.

The driver front appears to be seeping oil. I say appears because I can't tell if it's leaking or I accidentally sprayed AT205 fluid on the body when I was lubricating all the rubber bushings a couple months ago. It sounded like a great idea from Scotty Kilmer's YouTube video on things mechanics don't want you to know to extend the life of bushings by preventing them from drying up.

In either case, I realize that the Bilstein 6112s might need a replacement soon. So, here's the dilemma: Bilstein doesn't sell the shock by itself for the 6112s. You have to buy the shock and coil as a kit. This ain't like the 5100 where you can buy the shock individually.

Hmmmm. That's not the low cost option I had in mind. I thought I could just replace the shocks by themselves and re-use the coils and hats.

So, what are my options?

1. Buy a new set of 6112s with heavier coils (say the 650 lbs/in rate instead of the 600 lbs/in coils). I think this kit is 47-284142 (shocks and coils), but I need to confirm. Think of this as an upgrade to heavier rate coils.

2. Keep trying to figure out how to buy the shocks by themselves possible part number = 24-227261 (the kit I have is 46-227287 for shocks and coils). This will allow me to keep my current coils and save money.

3. Upgrade to new ICON shocks upfront (not sure what to get considering that I just got ICON 56550s in the rear last year). This is just to match my rear ICONs.

4. Dump my shocks/coils and just go all out on a new front and rear suspension. Arghh, this is the most expensive option, but would give me a brand new start.

Any opinions are welcome...
Contact Bilstein. As I recall, most of their stuff is lifetime guaranteed.

Not all "coilovers" are the same.

When talking rebuild-ability the shocks made in the USA have support stateside and readily available parts and multiple service shops to do the work, besides just the manufacturer. I have been factory trained by Sway-a-way, ICON in house by their engineers in CA and Ironman 4x4 in Australia to rebuild their one "rebuildable" shock. The Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pros have no support stateside for rebuilding (parts or service) that I know of, and due to the all steel construction I doubt they will come apart once used in most typical US states. (Ask @woody if his IM4x4 Foam Cells ever had a rust issue) Due to their low cost it's just cheaper to just buy a new one anyway and probably why I have never seen a rebuild kit offered for them in the US. The Dobinsons, like the Ironman 4x4 product line they are all made in China. The Dobs too I have never seen a rebuild kit for to be offered.

Built in the US:
Bilstein 8100 (The main machine shop the builds most of ICON.....also makes parts for Bilstein)
Fox
KING
ICON
Radflo
Sway-a-way
FOA (used to be the budget line from King, but sold yrs ago)

All are built in the US, most using the same interchangeable seals, ware bands even the pivot bearings a lot of the time are the same. BUT most importantly all of these are fully serviceable including getting replacement parts from the OEMS, like new shafts, rod end, caps etc. The made in China products do offer a lower price point to get into them, just have to weigh how that works in the long run for your truck. A blown out well used set of ICONs still have value to the home rebuilder, easily getting $500-600 for a pair as cores.

Now with all that said, I have a set of OME BP51's on my GX470 and are loving them. We did a test run on them to verify fit for OME for the GX470 and would not hesitate to run them again. However for the $$ and the ROI, I probably would just go with a set of Remote Res. Radflo or ICONs personally. Again over the whole rebuild-ability issue as the BP51s are holding up, not rusting (alum bodies) but guarantee the rebuild for these suckers will be involved, costly and probably a little difficult due to the compression and rebound adjustments built in. Plus never seen a rebuild kit...

Thanks for the post. In terms of serviceability, the main paint point for us consumers is the downtime in weeks/months and the cost. Assuming the shocks don’t get rusted out or banged up to the point that you can’t open then up.

At current prices in 2021, rebuilding coilovers that were made to be rebuilt cost like $350/pair plus the cost to re-assemble with top hats and re-install on our GXs which can add another $300/pair.

Not all of us can assemble and install the coilovers. I suppose I can buy the coilovers already assembled and install myself, but that’s only saving a couple hundred at most.

Anyways…I keep thinking how easy it was with my basic OMEs in my 80-series. They are 15 years old and 175k miles…LOL. Those were easy to install and replace!

I wonder why Bilstein doesn’t sell the 6112 shocks individually.

My dilemma wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t have to spend extra $200 ordering the coilover kit with shocks and coils.

At least sell existing customers whose Bilstein 6112s are leaking a replacement set of just the shocks. Greedy SOBs!

This reason by itself (not being able to just buy the 6112 shocks) is making me want to switch brands.

I want to switch to a brand that sells just the shocks or springs in case of future damage or failure.

Last edited:
Did you ever decide which shocks you were going to get? I'm kind of torn between the Foam cell Pro and Dobinson IMS too.

Did you ever decide which shocks you were going to get? I'm kind of torn between the Foam cell Pro and Dobinson IMS too.
Unfortunately, I stuck with the 6112s and took the opportunity to get the HD 700 lbf/in coils.

They’ve been working great and just a tad stiff because no extra weight up front. I have a good 6112 shock as a spare (the one that wasn’t leaking) and spare 600 lbf/in coils.

I have the Foam Cell Pros and have been really happy with them, but I hear Dobinsons are great too (I'll be helping a buddy install a set of IMS's on his Tundra in the next month or so). FCP's are nice because they are a 2.8" shock and are home-rebuildable. You probably can't go wrong with either option.

I've got 6112 in front w/650 spings (had 700 but was a bit stiff with no front weight) in front and Dobinson IMS rear. I've very pleased with both.
The 6112s have about 45k and have gone through one set of eye bushings. easy enough to replace, but they don't last more than about 20k-30k depending on how hard you use them.

I've got 6112 in front w/650 spings (had 700 but was a bit stiff with no front weight) in front and Dobinson IMS rear. I've very pleased with both.
The 6112s have about 45k and have gone through one set of eye bushings. easy enough to replace, but they don't last more than about 20k-30k depending on how hard you use them.
My previous set of 6112s lasted about 55k miles and only 1 was leaking. I did wheel them a dozen times in intermediate trails and dirt roads. So, they had some wheeling including several washboard stretches in Death Valley.

Anyways, I think if you can order them with 650 lbf/in coils…that’s the best setup for an empty front.

I just need to add a hidden winch and my 700s will be perfect

Gotcha. I presently am still running my bilstein 5100s with Moog 81108 springs which allegedly are 650 ish lb/in so I am right there too. My current setup isn't bad by any means but upgrades get you looking further and further down the rabbit hole. My only beef is that I still get some brake dive and body roll that I was hoping to have minimized more than I did. I guess I'm spoiled by my Miata and big ole suv's will just have lots of body roll and brake dive no matter what.

I've been leaning more toward Dobinson just due to proximity since they are a few miles away from me.

Either way, I think for the time being I gave up on shock upgrades for now and will enjoy what I have and reassess down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom