Bilstein 6112 Dilemma on GX470...not as low cost as I thought (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been a big supporter of the 6112s as a great value option for the GX470. It's a 60mm body (equal to 2.6" diameter body) to hold more fluid. Also, it's a stronger shock (thicker rod) all around compared to the 5100. You don't have to rebuild the shock because you can't, so it will last the lifetime of the shock. Yada yada.

Well, it's time to pay the piper. I've had these for 42K miles and the previous owner had it for a year or so, so let's say another 12K miles. So, these 6112s have between 50K and 60K miles. And i've taken them offroad many times.

The driver front appears to be seeping oil. I say appears because I can't tell if it's leaking or I accidentally sprayed AT205 fluid on the body when I was lubricating all the rubber bushings a couple months ago. It sounded like a great idea from Scotty Kilmer's YouTube video on things mechanics don't want you to know to extend the life of bushings by preventing them from drying up.

In either case, I realize that the Bilstein 6112s might need a replacement soon. So, here's the dilemma: Bilstein doesn't sell the shock by itself for the 6112s. You have to buy the shock and coil as a kit. This ain't like the 5100 where you can buy the shock individually.

Hmmmm. That's not the low cost option I had in mind. I thought I could just replace the shocks by themselves and re-use the coils and hats.

So, what are my options?

1. Buy a new set of 6112s with heavier coils (say the 650 lbs/in rate instead of the 600 lbs/in coils). I think this kit is 47-284142 (shocks and coils), but I need to confirm. Think of this as an upgrade to heavier rate coils.

2. Keep trying to figure out how to buy the shocks by themselves possible part number = 24-227261 (the kit I have is 46-227287 for shocks and coils). This will allow me to keep my current coils and save money.

3. Upgrade to new ICON shocks upfront (not sure what to get considering that I just got ICON 56550s in the rear last year). This is just to match my rear ICONs.

4. Dump my shocks/coils and just go all out on a new front and rear suspension. Arghh, this is the most expensive option, but would give me a brand new start.

Any opinions are welcome...

Last edited:
If you want to match, ICONs work as you said. BP-51s are another option but not sure how you feel about them. Personally, depends on $$, but a LT new front end would be sweet!

If you want to match, ICONs work as you said. BP-51s are another option but not sure how you feel about them. Personally, depends on $$, but a LT new front end would be sweet!
Yes, getting ICONs in the front might be worth a consideration since it matches my rear ICON shocks. Also, ICON has a lot of components to choose from.

On the the other hand, switching to OME BP-51s in the front might require switching the rear shocks to OME. I previously ran OME shocks in the rear with Bilstein 6112s in the front and they rode horribly together....super bouncy ride probably from mismatched valving (digressive vs progressive). So, I won't do that again.

In terms of trying to get long travel shocks in the front...it will require disconnecting either the front or rear sway bar. There's not much articulation gains when you keep both sway bars connected. So, I would probably get regular front shocks (not long travel) and maybe disconnect the rear sway bars.

I would just get the new Icons up front to match what you already have in the back if I were you. Still hold onto the 6112s for when the Icons are off getting rebuilt though. You may even be able to save some money if you can find Icon coilovers without coils. I would think the 6112 coils should fit right over the similar diameter Icon body and sit properly since it is flat ground vs pigtail on the bottom, but you'd have to investigate to be sure.

As far as utilizing the LT you already have in the rear, just get extended end links. I have the Dobinsons IMS LT shocks (similar specs to the Icon LT rears) in the back and my rear lower control arm contacts the axle before the sway bar travel is maxed out with 2nd gen 4Runner sway bar end links. I don't have a front sway bar at all, so that gets max articulation with the 6112s being the limiting factor. Dobinsons IMS extended travel front coilovers are the plan if i get into a situation like you with my 6112s.

Good luck finding 6112s... When I tried to buy then at the beginning of the year I was told by multiple places they are on at least a 1 to 1.5 year global back order so I ended up getting 5100s. The 5100s in front with the ICON 2.0 long travel rear rides perfectly in my opinion. It soaks up all of the huge bumps with slightly more feeling coming through from the small ones.

Good luck finding 6112s... When I tried to buy then at the beginning of the year I was told by multiple places they are on at least a 1 to 1.5 year global back order so I ended up getting 5100s. The 5100s in front with the ICON 2.0 long travel rear rides perfectly in my opinion. It soaks up all of the huge bumps with slightly more feeling coming through from the small ones.
3. Upgrade to new ICON shocks upfront (not sure what to get considering that I just got ICON 56550s in the rear last year). This is just to match my rear ICONs.

FYI ICON just moved their lead times to 26 weeks. Yes half of one year.

However I know a shop that supports Ih8mud and has ICONs in stock for GX's. ;)

www.metaltech4x4.com

Wow! I didn’t realize the cargo ships lined up here in the SoCal coast were going to affect me on ordering shocks/coils.

I did get my rear icon 56550s at MT4x4, so I might have to make a decision quickly before they run out.

Last edited:
I would just get the new Icons up front to match what you already have in the back if I were you. Still hold onto the 6112s for when the Icons are off getting rebuilt though. You may even be able to save some money if you can find Icon coilovers without coils. I would think the 6112 coils should fit right over the similar diameter Icon body and sit properly since it is flat ground vs pigtail on the bottom, but you'd have to investigate to be sure.

As far as utilizing the LT you already have in the rear, just get extended end links. I have the Dobinsons IMS LT shocks (similar specs to the Icon LT rears) in the back and my rear lower control arm contacts the axle before the sway bar travel is maxed out with 2nd gen 4Runner sway bar end links. I don't have a front sway bar at all, so that gets max articulation with the 6112s being the limiting factor. Dobinsons IMS extended travel front coilovers are the plan if i get into a situation like you with my 6112s.
I think your idea to buy ICONs for the front and save the Bilsteins for when the ICON's need to be rebuilt...sounds like a really good idea.

I'm also pursuing servicing the 6112s at Bilstein, but they haven't returned my emails to get them serviced. Apparently, Bilstein has a shock service to repair or rebuild, but you have to get approved first to send in your shocks.

The 6112s were basically the only game in town for a mid-tier priced option before the Dobinson IMS came out circa late 2019, early 2020.

You could always get a <$700 kit from Ironman, OME, 5100s, etc
You cold always get a top tier $2500+ kit from Fox, King, etc

The 6112 / 5160 setup shined because it was a pretty big step up from the most basic, but not $3k+ for a top tier setup.

However, the price difference between a 6112/5160 setup and the Dobinsons IMS now days for a much much higher quality product in the Dobinson makes the Dobs a non-brainer now. On Blackfriday sale the Dobs will be only a couple hundred more, if that*

*Of course - none of that is counting covid crazy and actual availability, but Dobs has been doing well on that front.

I don’t think having icon in the rear should push you into getting icon in the front, honestly, everyone I talk to doesn’t speak of reliability when it comes to icon or even entry level king for That matter. When my 5100’s die I’ll probably go bilstein 8112’s, or radflo’s. Ads suspension is also super legit but a little more confusing to find what fits your vehicle. The 8112’s are not really long travel. Toytec boss is the same
Thing as elka suspension and probably great…

I don’t think having icon in the rear should push you into getting icon in the front, honestly, everyone I talk to doesn’t speak of reliability when it comes to icon or even entry level king for That matter. When my 5100’s die I’ll probably go bilstein 8112’s, or radflo’s. Ads suspension is also super legit but a little more confusing to find what fits your vehicle. The 8112’s are not really long travel. Toytec boss is the same
I had a bad experience mismatching shock valving (digressive 6112s in the front with progressive OME shocks in the rear), so I don't want to mismatch the valving again. If I stay with the ICONs in the rear, then I'm limiting my choices to digressive shocks in the front.

My other option is to ditch the rear extended travel ICONs and start from scratch with a matched set of shocks front and rear. Long travel is not deal-breaker for me. I could go with standard length shocks that give me the 2.5" lift.

I need to go wash my shocks at the self-serve car wash to see if the 6112s are leaking or not. This determines how quickly I need to make a decision.

My notes (just based on Google, so take this with a grain of salt):
Digressive:
1. ICONS
2. Bilsteins

Linear:
1. FOX
2. KING
3. ToyTec Boss Aluma (Elka)
4. Eibach

Progressive:
1. OME including BP-51s
2. Radflo
3. Dobinson

Digressive-Linear-Progressive-Damping-Curve-Comparison.jpg

Last edited:
The 6112s were basically the only game in town for a mid-tier priced option before the Dobinson IMS came out circa late 2019, early 2020.

You could always get a <$700 kit from Ironman, OME, 5100s, etc
You cold always get a top tier $2500+ kit from Fox, King, etc

The 6112 / 5160 setup shined because it was a pretty big step up from the most basic, but not $3k+ for a top tier setup.

However, the price difference between a 6112/5160 setup and the Dobinsons IMS now days for a much much higher quality product in the Dobinson makes the Dobs a non-brainer now. On Blackfriday sale the Dobs will be only a couple hundred more, if that*

*Of course - none of that is counting covid crazy and actual availability, but Dobs has been doing well on that front.
Good points. I’m going to research the dobinson ims in case I swap the shocks front and rear.

When I got the icons for the rear….I miscalculated how much longer the front Bilstein were going to last.

And for the type of off-roading I do…mostly mild to medium trails…mid level is my favorite option.

When I had my GX470, I loved my Radflo 2.5

Thanks for bringing up reliability. Now you have me thinking…back in 2006 when I put basic OME shocks and springs on the 80…those puppies have lasted over 100k miles.

I think that was too much to expect from the Bilstein 6112s and I hate the notion of rebuilding every 30k. Arghhh.

Yeah I have the slightly longer rear sway bar end links from proforge. It’s helps a little with articulation.

Bilstein 8112’s, I don’t have much money to spare when I make decisions and that’s what I would put my money on. They have internal bypass, they are way more advanced than any other shock At that price point. If you don’t like how the back feels then change it out later… with 8112’s or whatever the rear is called, which also have internal
Bypass (900 each for rear shocks) but unless you wanna go long travel I don’t see a better option for reliability and performance. Granted, the bilstein 6112’s should have lasted way longer than they did so maybe everything is going down hill.

I have bilstein 5100’s and ome 895/885’s, mstuds sway bar end links(the new style) energy suspension bump stops up front, I also replaced tie rod ends, lower ball joints with 555’s, and pressed in white line lower control arm bushings. Super budget oriented set up and that thing rides like a freaking Cadillac off-road. If it’s a national forest road it’s great, if it’s desert racing through whoops your screwed but that’s why at some point I would upgrade to the 8112’s. I don’t wanna rebuild fancy shocks which leans me towards the 8112’s, but I also stopped driving the gx daily since their value shot Through the roof and why replace tires, bushings, balljoints, shocks more Often than needed. I decided to buy a bumper and sliders rather than beef up suspension at this point. Just depends on how fast you wanna drive off-road. I’m good with 20-40 on forest roads. And if it’s rough I’m crawling in low range anyways because I’m not about to break something.

I was doing creek
Crossings too fast down in Moab and took out a sway bar end link and didn’t realize it(kind of) and it took out my cv boot entirely by the time I made it to Idaho falls. Anyways lesson learned, don’t push your rig past your current setup. That’s when I upgraded to mstudts end links cause they are bullet proof.

I’m not doing crazy stuff offroad. I prefer to go slow. Its more the difficult rutted hills find me than me looking for them. I’m just out there exploring and camping.

I’ve concluded that I want a mid-level shocks like the Bilstein 6112s 60mm (2.6”) or the dobinson ims 56mm (2.2”)

I also know that having good articulation helps keep tires on the ground for better traction, thus my attempt at extended travel rears with the 1” longer pro forge end links.

And I checked my driver side Bilstein and it sure looks like it’s leaking.

I was doing creek
Crossings too fast down in Moab and took out a sway bar end link and didn’t realize it(kind of) and it took out my cv boot entirely by the time I made it to Idaho falls. Anyways lesson learned, don’t push your rig past your current setup. That’s when I upgraded to mstudts end links cause they are bullet proof.

Another option for mid level is the Ironman pro cell foam’s. They are definitely beefy. Unless you have a bumper I would always go with the softer spring for comfort. My friend bought them For His sequioa and his biggest complaint is his lack of droop, which the gx has tons of, so maybe not an issue?

2.8” shock, either 2.5 or 3” front lift. For 920 shipped, prebuilt. Dang, I may go that route in the future?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom